Author Topic: how do you hang your deer  (Read 4433 times)

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
how do you hang your deer
« on: Nov 20, 2005, 12:39:10 AM »
do you hang your deer by the head or hind legs

Offline Scott Wright

• Forked
  • shotgun, rifle or bow... I LOVE to hunt!!
Re: how do you hang your deer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 06:26:39 AM »
hind legs as I'm mostly concerned with blooding out the back end, where the best steaks are...
Let\'s go get \'em

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2005, 06:45:10 AM »
By the hind legs.... :)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2005, 06:30:05 PM »
If you hang by the legs the blood filters to the front and the neck makng the meat juicer. Also hanging by the back legs with the legs spread apart helps cool the meat faster.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2005, 06:56:40 PM »
my familey has akwas hung our deer by the hind legs and everyone tells me its the wrong way to hang deer glad to see im with the majorty so far were are the neck hangers with there view

Offline mostlybuckless

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:12:13 PM »
I work at a slaughterhouse and I've never hung a beef , lamb, red deer, pig or anything else by the neck. search me as to why some do this! good question???

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:16:58 PM »
We used to hang our deer by the neck but then we read in a magazine that it was much better to hang the deer by the hind legs. We found that it was also easier and didn't damage the fur around the neck if we wanted to mount it.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:48:08 AM »
always buy the hind legs.drans better,skins and quarters easer and makes a better photo.

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:56:56 AM »
I work at a slaughterhouse and I've never hung a beef , lamb, red deer, pig or anything else by the neck. search me as to why some do this! good question???mostlybuckless what would you say is a better mix for deer meat when making hambuger pork,beef fat i have mydeer meat ground with a cheap grade of beefhambuger thats the only way the wife will cook or eat it and then i have some done with pork for myself with out some kind of mix i find the meat dry

Offline griff

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:21:23 PM »
I believe the best way to hang a deer is by the back legs. Before you hang your deer make sure you did a good job field dressing it.
PLEASE make sure the bladder has been removed,if not the bladder could leak and marinate your prized tenderloins. I process deer and 70% of the deer that come in still have the bladder intact.

Offline mostlybuckless

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2005, 02:19:17 PM »

I guess it's a matter of taste! But I would mention that if your using pork, make sure that your not eating your burger "rare" pork can carry trichana that is why pork is always cooked to 165 to 170 degrees. To kill the potential bacteria.

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2005, 04:22:39 PM »
i like my bugers well done so i should be ok there

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal