Author Topic: This years  (Read 3623 times)

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
This years
« on: Nov 08, 2020, 01:45:56 PM »
With 2020 being such a s**t show I wasn't sure what deer season would bring. Missed this guy on opening day and had been beating myself up about it all week.
Unsure if I would get another chance at him. Then the weather...ugg. what was it like 74 yesterday.. crazy for hunting. I sit so not quite as bad but darn! So about 9:30 this guy comes in way down the hill from me with a doe. He's not chasing, just hanging with her. They are browsing on acorns and its a long shot. Other than the jamming issue, I have no issues with this guns accuracy. My only hitch is the pitch of this hill, its super steep. Guessing at the trajectory for this one had me but I knew I had to take the shot if it presented itself. He seemed to step up out of a gully and I let fly. He bound down the hill, tail down. I then noticed my gun had jammed up yet again and not extracted the spent shell. I attempted to pick it out with no luck. I head down the hill after about 30 minutes and found blood. Not super heavy but was dark red. Thats when I see him move. Not good, but he got up took two steps and went back down. I have no backup round in my gun and I'm sitting on the ground looking at this deer pant. He then lays his head down flat on the ground with his ears out. I text my better half and tell her I need to sit tight for an hour or two and make sure he expires. As I sit, I can see his rear quarter having muscle spasms. He then lifted his head got up for one step and back down. This time his head remains up. I'm bumming trying to figure if I could possibly get my knife in his neck without killing myself. He sees me there is no doubt as we are certainly making eye contact. After another what seemed like 20 minutes he got up and staggered off again. Now that he was out of sight, I hiked back up to my stand, locked it up and went down the hill the way I get to my stand so I would be staying away from where he was. I grabbed my shotgun and some 3 1/2" 00 Buckshot and headed back up the hill to my stand. Did I mention it was hot? I brought a water but could have used a gallon. I then went down the hill to where I had seen him last. I then got on the blood and slowly started following it. Drops every 10' bright red. Some would show on a tree. When he stopped he would leave a 1/4 cup puddle. As I followed the trail it led me onto someone else's land. I knew where I was and knew I was close to the house. When I caught up to this deer. He had walked about 200 + yards from where I had shot him. He was 50 yards behind this house. He still had his head up and made several attempts to get up again but was unsuccessful.  I can't just shoot! I can see the side of their house. The deer and I are looking eye to eye yet again. I again think about knifeing him, but can't seem to get that crazy. So I get out my phone and bring up Google earth so I can get an address of where I'm at. Then I text the better half again and ask her to drive my truck over to this house and ask these people if I can extinguish this deer I've been tracking for such a distance. I told her if they say yes. Just yell go ahead. I  could see my truck swing into the driveway and then my door shut. A minute later, music to my ears with GO AHEAD! I can not thank those people enough for letting me end it for this deer. They certainly did not have to let me shoot and very well could have told me to get off their land. I never want my hunts to go this way. I like them falling in a heap, with no running. I will be getting a new gun for next season, for I have had enough of the situations this gun has left me in. I'm just glad it turned out the way it did.  9 point 213.6lbs.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2020, 10:40:49 AM by The 3Ps »
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Darby

• Forked
Re: This years
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2020, 03:24:32 PM »
Glad they let you shoot inside of 100 yards of their house,  to end his suffering.  Congrats on a very nice deer

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2020, 07:44:18 PM »
Great deer! Congrats! Kudos for doing it by the book. Ethics are your actions when nobody is watching. Congrats!
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 07:44:46 PM by aquaassassin »
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
Glad they let you shoot inside of 100 yards of their house,  to end his suffering.  Congrats on a very nice deer

X2, and you better half sounds like a saint! I’m glad it all worked out in the end.

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2020, 04:15:58 AM »
Congrats, a very nice buck. I think it is time for a new gun...h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Dirt23

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2020, 05:35:13 AM »
Corker buck way to tough that heat out.  I find it pretty amazing what a wounded animal can put you through, if you recover the story's are always great.  Would your gun happen to be a model 100?  if it is jamming problem can be fixed pretty inexpensive.  Either way congratulations on that bute

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:46:25 AM »
great story and great buck!! good for you doing it the right way if there were alot more hunters with good ethics i believe there would be alot less posted land.

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
Its a Sportsman 7400 series 30-06 semi auto. Probably don't need to tell you any more than that. They are notorious for this very thing and being told probably can't get parts for it.

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
Nope, got rid of the same rifle for the same reason.  The carbine hasn't given me any trouble.  Was told years ago, it would cost as much to fix, as it would to replace with a bolt action.  Repla Ed it with a Remington 7mm STW.  Unreal gun, but she kicks like a mule, and at ammo over $100 a box for ballistic tips, don't practice a lot

Offline VenisonFreak

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2020, 07:18:04 AM »
Are you using reloads? I have had the same issue with semi's and reloads before. Cases expanding and sticking in the chamber.

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:50:01 AM »
No reloads, however they are old rounds as I haven't broken into my core-locks yet.
This for me is nothing new with this gun. Has happened before several times but was always pulling the spent shell out of the chamber. Was not allowing the rear part of new round to come up enough to where the action could grab it to get it into the chamber. This getting stuck is new this year. I will give her a good cleaning again and do some extra scrubb work in the chamber area, then try some newer rounds and see if I can't get it to stop holding those spent rounds. Seems strange it ejects the shell easy and smooth if it isn't fired. Still buying a new gun though. I think deserve it, as do these deer that I hunt.

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »
Everyone is different, but of all the rifles I own, my favorite for deer hunting is my Browning BLR Lightweight Takedown.  No longer in production,  but not too hard to find.  Mine is 308 caliber.   Several young kids have used it, including my daughter when she was 10.  Lever action so no jamming, shoots flawless, and incredibly easy to disassemble.   This year a 17 year old girl shot her moose with it.  Not cheap at probably $900+ for a mint used one, but a gun for a lifetime.  I prefer the lever to the bolt for speed,  although a little more dangerous when bringing hammer down into safe

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
I hunt with a Remington Model 740, .308. Bought it new in 1959 for $149. Had 1 jam, knock on wood, and that was the only time I shot at a bear. In 61 years we have spent a lot of time together. Sat three hours this morning. Not seeing many deer, way too warm....h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
Congrats on the great buck!
As for the 7400 having jamming issues yes we've all heard about it. A lot of times the issue results from improper maintenance. The most detrimental being pitting in the chamber. Extractor, springs, etc are a small cost to get your rifle functioning again, if the chamber is pitted you might as well trade it in. Similar to what Glenn mentioned with reloads. The case expands into the pitting of chamber and won't extract. Common in the 7400 because chamber can be difficult to clean for some people. Either way if you know a reputable gunsmith have them look at it.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2020, 03:38:10 PM »
Nice buck congrats

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal