Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 114080 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
Anyone looking for a good book on traditional archery I highly recommend: Shooting the Stickbow, by Anthony Camera. It's about an inch thick, 400 pages covering everything you need to know and more; a bargain at $20.
http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/index.html
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012, 04:59:44 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
Bout time there is something worth reading around here.   ;)
jj thats a nice lookin bow. Iv never heard of the tartar model. Sure was a lot of different models pumped out in that era.
iv been bitten bad by the trad bug.
Been shooting every day all winter. Yesterday I scored 18 issues of traditional bowhunter mag off clist for nine Bux.
Today I stopped into a guys house up the road a mile or so to fix a delaminating  tip on my Damon howatt. he is a bowyer himself and Found out that he does work for fedora bows. he started showing me pix of beautiful Bux he shot w his own bows and invited me over to shoot and get setup good n proper next week. I cant wait, the guy is incredibly knowledgeable. i wish I would have stopped there a year ago.
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
Just found a pic of the Bear bow I just got on the website for the book(he misspelled Tartar ;)):

Been waiting for ramrod to show up. Sounds like you found the right person to talk to, that's cool. Which Howatt do you have?
I like his bows(you probably know that).
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012, 05:12:31 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
Nice stick and strings guys.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #19 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
I think my old one should work, just need a string for it, not sure on length, pretty strong bow, haha hopefully I can pull it back, should do the job for deer. going to make some wood arrows with 250gr on the front  ;D
Take a Kid outside...

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
Rule of thumb for string length is 4" shorter than bow length for recurve and 3" for longbow. Then twist to recommended braceheight and fine tune from there.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:59:59 AM »
Had a Super Kodiak for a while.....Thing shot fast and very accurate....Sold it for money to buy target archery equipment....a used Golden Eagle target bow and a case full of sights and other stuff....have since sold all the accessories to people who I have worked on their bows....Gave the Golden Eagle to my nephew....He used it one year and never picked it up again....Getting down to just my hunting bow and some old odds and ends....Well and a couple stick bows....a Martin...35lb and a Bear 25lb...Got those at garage sales for my kids and my niece...she wanted to learn to shoot and hunt....that never happened.... Might have to keep an eye out for something....

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
jj i have the bandito. it is the one that was given to me which infected me w this disease. i plan on hunting w a k-mag 50#. you prob remember the pics of it. green w rattler skins on the limbs.

so you havnt feathered and flung your heritage arrows yet?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
The Bandito's are nice, 58" like the Mamba I think. Yes I remember the Kodiak w/ the skins, like it; looking for one if the price is right, no hurry.

Waiting on some white feathers and a string, now we have snow. I'm hoping the Heritage 150s will work with the new bow at around 30# if I add enough tip weight and keep them full length, otherwise I'll pick up some cheap 1816 aluminums for it.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
yea it is 58". finding out that the longer bows shoot alot smoother and really magnifies the increased finger pinch on the 52" kmag

tuning arrows to bow/archer is quite the science in itself.  there are so many variables to take into account, shaft selection, based on weight and spine, minute length adjustments, foc, etc.... i dont even know where a good place to start would be. thankfully the local pro is willing and seemingly excited to help set me up with a working and properly tuned system of bow and arrow.

i have just been winging feather fletched 2117's w 125 grain tips and compensating for any minor flight imperfections. perfecting form seems to be the thing i need to focus on now so i can check that off the list of potential causes of erratic arrow flight.

who ever thinks that going traditional makes things simpler and easier they are mistaken.  i had no idea it was this complicated. but seem to enjoy the process and the rewards will b so much sweeter.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I thikn the one I have is an old bear, its long, and strong...bout to get some killin' on (reference to "I like big butts") going to use woodsman arrows 150gr with 100gr brass inserts, thought about making everything but found a place that makes nice arrows from wood, prob just order them 83$/doz not bad I guess... prob get all white feathers
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
Found out that shooting with heavy tips isn't a good idea with a light bow, so I wiil save the Heritage 150s to hunt with, they will be a good match at 40-45 lbs. I looked at some XX75s  in 1816 size that will be the right spine at 30 lbs left full length. After looking at the price for the components I ended up being the only bidder for a 1/2 dozen fletched, DIPPED AND CRESTED arrows for about the same cost; now I don't have to do the work and have really nice looking arrows to shoot, easy choice ;). New string is on the way along with some nice weather, should be shooting later this week.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
yea it is 58". finding out that the longer bows shoot alot smoother and really magnifies the increased finger pinch on the 52" kmag

tuning arrows to bow/archer is quite the science in itself.  there are so many variables to take into account, shaft selection, based on weight and spine, minute length adjustments, foc, etc.... i dont even know where a good place to start would be. thankfully the local pro is willing and seemingly excited to help set me up with a working and properly tuned system of bow and arrow.

i have just been winging feather fletched 2117's w 125 grain tips and compensating for any minor flight imperfections. perfecting form seems to be the thing i need to focus on now so i can check that off the list of potential causes of erratic arrow flight.

who ever thinks that going traditional makes things simpler and easier they are mistaken.  i had no idea it was this complicated. but seem to enjoy the process and the rewards will b so much sweeter.

I think the only thing simpler is the equipment, a bow, string and arrow is all you need; of course that makes everything more difficult when it comes to shooting properly. Check out that book I mentioned, it covers everything.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »
Nice looking meat missiles. ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2012, 05:50:47 AM »
Too light for meat(hunting), those are for targets only.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal