Hunting by Game/Technique > Predator Calling

i could use some help

(1/4) > >>

Professor Backstrap:
well i have shot at least 1 of everything i have hunted for except a coyote. i never really gotten serious about it but i am going to try and put a little more time in this year. went out for a little while this afternoon but i think it was too windy and early. once i get a coyote i want to save the pelt but have no idea about how to go about curing/tanning it. i would rather do it myself than pay somebody to do it so if anybody has any advice i would really appreciate it. thanks

stka:
Raquttedacker is our resident expert, and there are a few trappers about as well. I highly recommend having it professionally tanned, you'll never get the nice soft leather at home. At least that's what I was told be the guys in the know.

drobertsinMaryland:
Little help for the young fella Raquette.

Raquettedacker:
Steve is right, there is nothing as good as a commercial tannery..  But that involves getting a taxidermist in the middle. Which will cost ya..  If you want to try and do it your self I think I might have an extra home kit I will give to Bog  that you can have in exchange for a T shirt... ;D ;D

upstatehunter:
Proper fleshing is one of the real keys correct Raquette?  I've watched a pretty good taxidermist work on a cape and he was meticulous with fleshing it. He said he may put 5-6 hours into one that was caped pretty decently. My uncle used to do some of his coyotes for friends. He made his tanning solution from stuff he got at the hardware and grocery store. Have no idea what they were though... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version