Author Topic: Coyotes at Night  (Read 26995 times)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Coyotes at Night
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2004, 12:37:27 AM »
the part about cutting it up the belly, I put do not cut up the belly, and then I put this is called casing, this may have been confusing, but I meant the kind of skinning you will be doing on yotes and stuff, is called casing.  cutting it up the belly is called open skinning.  Another thing you can do is buy a fur comb, and comb it to make it straighten out and things.  As for what to do with the hide, it depends on what you want to do with the hide, tan it, sell it or whatever.  But if you want to tan it, research it, and pick a way, there are so many ways to do it, one way though is tough, and that is brain tanning, I recommend using another way, unless you are in for an adventure, it is tough, but fun.  most other ways are easy.  if you want to have someone else tan it, i recommend usafoxx they have good prices, and they do a good job, you can have anything you want done to it, and you can just have it tanned, thats usually what i do, then I hang them on my wall.  They are located out of superior wisconsin.  if you want to sell the hides, either roll them up in a ball, put them in a bag, and freeze them until you can make it to a fur buyer, or buy or make some stretchers and flesh them, and stretch them (there are special dimensions the stretchers have to be if you make them), and sell them, you will get a buck or two more this way, then dry them and take them in, do not keep furs in the freezer for more than a year, they decrease in value alot, and try to sell the stretched hides right after they are done drying, (stretching and drying are in the same process) sell the furs within the season, because it might be a law, it is here.  if you want to know how to flesh, stretch, and dry, let me know and I can tell you how to do that to, and where to find things on how to do it.  If you take a trappers education course, it will help you alot to learn some of these things.  have fun
MASTERGUIDE

Offline ripper

• Nubbie
  • i'm a Maine hunter with a cabin in gods country
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2004, 07:24:05 AM »
hey masterguide

ripper here i'm new to the forum but i'd like to share what i saw on the fitzgeralds hunting show. they talked about using an air compressor to skin there animals.they used a sharpen little needle valve inserted just under the skin it looked like it really worked.i haven't had the chance to try it yet but will.if you try it let us know if it works.thanks for all your posts starting to enjoy the forums.

thanks (RIPPER) Ron
Ron (Ripper)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:10:48 AM »
ripper, sounds like an awesome technique, I will have to try it.  MASTERGUIDE

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:21:53 AM »
yeah, I don't know why more people don't post alot more, this site has the potential to be great, and really huge, like its similar site, iceshanty.com, maybe its all those grumpy easterners, i guess it just takes time for a site to grow.  I will post as much useful information as I possibly can.
MASTERGUIDE

Offline gonefishing

• Nubbie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2005, 01:24:44 AM »
YOU SKIN THEM AND SELL THE HIDES, and if your weird you can eat them, but skinning them and selling their hides is what to do.  You can have them tanned for yourself too, which is very nice for a den or something, but yeah, its alot of good fun.  foxes go for 20-30 dollars this time of year, and coyotes go for 20-50, but it mainly depends on what area your in, and how pale the fur is.  When you skin them, case them, don't do the ancient cut down the middle style, or they won't sell.  If you want to know more on how to skin them reply, and i will tell you how to skin them, they are all mainly the same, just different sizes.
MASTERGUIDE
          we would love info on how you skin them? ;D
jim & kat

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2005, 03:21:34 PM »
i love to coyote hunt we have a long season here in western ny like chen said hunting at night is fun but that hour or so before dusk is my favorite

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2005, 12:27:40 PM »
You're allowed to hunt at night!!??????? :o :-\ :-\
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2005, 12:41:10 PM »
in NY yes tou can use spotlights with red lenses are the best but ive seen some hunt just by moonlight others with a light mounted on there scopes coyotes are most active at night so its the best time to hunt them for most but i find from about 3 pm to an hour after dark to be the best for me

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »
 :o
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Jun 19, 2005, 03:36:26 PM »
Yeah coyotes are lots of fun. In the last few years they changed the regs here and now you can use electronic calls. I like my wounded rabbit call and use a mouse squeeker for close up work.
If you guys like coyotes, should try wolves. Way harder unless they have already been through the area.
I once spotted 6 large black wolves cruising through a valley bottom. I waited till they had passed and about 300 yards away. I then snuck down there into position. I then let loose with a distress call. I saw them coming at 150 yards and came to 100 yards then 2 went up one side of the hill still coming at me, 2 on the other side of hill coming to me, and the 2 others straight up the bottom at me. The leader stopped at 75 yards and started snapping his jaws at the air. Put the hair on my back up when they were circling me. I took the leader and he was 214 lbs. Didn't get another shot after the first one as they scattered away.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2005, 05:08:07 AM »
awesome that sounds like a time you will never forget

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2005, 05:11:21 AM »
Was it a snowshoe distress, or just a cottontail, just wondering, some say it makes no difference, some do, I think if snowshoes are in the area, and you have some thing that replicates them very well, it will help, but I would like to know some opinions.

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2005, 12:16:34 PM »
Hey TGF where does one pick up a mouse squeeker? I've got the standard dying rabbitt call but have never had much luck with it. My buddy says his mouse squeeker works much better but I don't know where to get one.
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline FRED/PA

• Nubbie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2005, 05:01:58 PM »
 huntsmart.com   they have all types of calls get a cataloge has even more than there site FRED
AKA THE Spud

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:37:40 PM »
Santa was good to me this year. He brought me a red spotlight that mounts on my rifle scope and a digital caller for coyote hunting. I can't to try them out on a night it isn't raining.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal