Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104389 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Nice Curves
« Reply #285 on: Jul 26, 2020, 05:53:59 AM »
Looks great Jeff..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #286 on: Jul 26, 2020, 08:36:45 AM »
Beautiful craftsmanship on those! Cool share, thanks

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #287 on: Jul 26, 2020, 01:21:49 PM »
Thanks all really like the bow, now need to set it up and start shooting it. But first I need to continue rehabbing my right (draw) shoulder, almost there and making good progress finally. It has been bothering me since February with an impingement and a little bursitis, luckily no rotator cuff tears. Did a lot of research and found the problem happens when certain muscles get overused and other ones get weaker... which causes the shoulder to come out of alignment and tendons get pinched. Doing several stretches and working out the right muscles and the improvement has been remarkable, sleeping without pain, too. Also taking a special supplement called Capraflex that helps joints heal which has definitely helped. I can shoot the lighter 41# pound bow without any pain.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #288 on: Jul 26, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »
Good deal! I had that happen with my hip after I broke my back and same thing, got all muscles equal again and fine, nice work!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #289 on: Jul 27, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »
Jeezz Jeff hope it feels better soon..

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: Oct 13, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
Shoulder is doing better just in time, have been shooting enough to be able to hunt, trying not to overdo it. Haven't lost any strength so I decided to try out the new, heavier bow @45#, only 4-5 lbs more. Thought I might need a stiffer arrow... but this one seems to like the same arrow as the other one and the 45# Mamba recurve I shot for years. Still need to tune some more, and for some reason the arrows seem slightly stiff at times, very odd going up in draw weight? And they seem to hit harder/faster? Thinking a slight increase in brace height should fix it, at the lowest end of the range now. Will experiment with more pint weight, too; but would rather keep the arrow the same to keep things simple.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #291 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:44:54 PM »
Good deal

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #292 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:12:33 AM »
Glad your feeling better Jeff..

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »
Thanks.

So this new bow was pretty noisy with nothing on the string, added a couple cat whiskers and it quieted right down. Had also ordered a set of Limbsavers but don't think it needs them. I am sold on the rubber whiskers after using them last Spring, they hold up great and most importantly don't grab briars and burdocks, etc. The wool puffs looks and work great but don't last and get full of sticky seeds fast, the whiskers are heavier but can slide them further out the bowstring if needed to tune by the added weight (they are about 12" form the limb tips now. They don't hold water either.

I noticed the arrow was not as close to center as the lighter bow, which would make the arrow act stiffer. So I swapped out the velcro on the sight window for some thinner calves hair and it seems to be just enough change in centershot... need to shoot outside and further out to make sure, only get about 8 yds in the house. Can still go up in brace height, real test will be with a broadhead.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #294 on: Oct 16, 2020, 05:52:42 AM »
Glad the shoulder is better. Ohio this year?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
Better but still not 100%, at least I can shoot daily. Yes, plan to be on OH for early November as usual, just need to get the boat out of the water and winterized.

So the thinner strike plate made the difference and I have both bows tuned for the same 460 grain arrows, 2 fletched and 1 bare shaft at 15 yds above with the new charcoal bow. New bow has 2 long whickers and is quiet; took the old Limbsavers off the green bow and shot it, definitely too noisy.... added the new smaller, recurve Limbsavers and it was back to quiet. These ones are much lower profile and smaller overall, work just as good. Will probably stick with the lighter green bow in the woods for now but nice to be able to choose either one.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2020, 11:53:28 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: Aug 27, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
Draw arm shoulder is now back to normal, except for a little popping/cracking, after lots of rehab and stretching last winter and spring. Made some changes to how I shoot that also help: opened my stance and went to a J draw.... which gets me to full draw using the back muscles and better alignment overall.

So I have been shooting the heavier bow I got last summer, and plan to hunt with it this fall. Can switch back and forth between the 2 but the heavier bow makes for a cleaner release and hits a little harder with the same arrow. Really curious what the speed difference is between the 41 and 45# bows, sometimes the lighter one seems just as fast. Likely due to the lighter limbs with a single maple lam between the carbon on the 41, 45 has 2 maple lams. May get a chronograph to play with, can get a good one for a little over $100.

Good 20 yard group with the new Native:

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #297 on: Aug 28, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »
Tis the season Pal!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: Aug 29, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »
Feeling a bit like Fall today, starting to see some color in the leaves...early bear on 9/18.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #299 on: Aug 29, 2021, 02:40:40 PM »
I woke up to 42 degrees yesterday and yes all the maples are going red

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal