Author Topic: good commercial rifle bullet for .44mag lever gun.  (Read 3997 times)

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
good commercial rifle bullet for .44mag lever gun.
« on: Jun 26, 2013, 02:32:57 AM »
I've read that most .44mag bullets are designed for personal defense and not hunting. i just bought a  stainless m92 lever action rossi in .44 and would like to use it for deer. whats a good bullet for hunting that would hold together and penetrate well on big game? I've heard some good things about cast but heard they're messy on the bore.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
Re: good commercial rifle bullet for .44mag lever gun.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2013, 04:49:11 AM »
I've read that most .44mag bullets are designed for personal defense and not hunting. i just bought a  stainless m92 lever action rossi in .44 and would like to use it for deer. whats a good bullet for hunting that would hold together and penetrate well on big game? I've heard some good things about cast but heard they're messy on the bore.

Hornady Lever - Revolution ammo is great made especially for rifles

Peddler  8) 8) 8)
Peddler

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
Not sure I agree that most .44 mag bullets are designed for self defense; the 240 grain Hornady XTP in front of a sabot works great from a muzzleloader for deer. Peddler's suggestion is what I would use, the 225 grain Hornady FTX is used in the .44 Mag LeveRev. ammo
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
+1 for Hornady Lever Revolution ammo. I use it in my Winchester .30-30 lever action and my Marlin .45-70 lever action. If they make it in .44 mag I would bet it would be a great deer killer. Also I have a friend out here who uses a .44 lever action to hunt deer. I'll ask him what he uses in his next time I see him at the gym and I'll post back to this thread with what he uses. I know he took a real nice mulie buck with it this past season as well as his doe on his "B" tag.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
thanks for the info. guys. now if this ammo craze will let up maybe i can find some of that lever revoultion ammo available somewhere before deer season!.

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
I have been blessed to suddenly come in possession of a Ruger 77/44 stainless steel 44 mag.  After researching this website, it seems that quite a few hunters use this caliber to shoot deer/bear inside 150 yards.  Being a hunter from Western NY, I am accustom to hunting wooded areas with a slug gun...routinely taking deer at this range.  My question...after reviewing the different types of 44 mag cartridges, what grain bullet is optimal for harvesting big-game animals?  Would you suggest a heavier grain bullet (300) with the reduced fps but higher foot lbs., or choose a lower grain (200) with high fps but lower foot lbs.  This is my first rifle as I have been a shotgun/black powder hunter my whole life.  Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and personal experiences.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
Ruger 10/44 was the first rifle I started deer hunting with. It was a great little gun killed my first deer with it a 5 pointer when I was 14 on a trip in Maine. My dad bought it for me an brothers to start using as a first rifle as its short and light had a peep sight on it worked great for tracking. We have all killed deer with it an my middle brother has shot a couple bears with it as well.   We always shot Winchester 240 gr soft points with it.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
got 2 boxes of fiocci 240grn jacket soft points im gonna try. wanted some lever revoulution stuff but at this rate deer season will have come and gone and i still wouldn't have found any of this ammo. the 240grn fioccis are moving at 1200fps. should be plenty of power there to take a deer.

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
+1 for Hornady Lever Revolution ammo. I use it in my Winchester .30-30 lever action and my Marlin .45-70 lever action. If they make it in .44 mag I would bet it would be a great deer killer. Also I have a friend out here who uses a .44 lever action to hunt deer. I'll ask him what he uses in his next time I see him at the gym and I'll post back to this thread with what he uses. I know he took a real nice mulie buck with it this past season as well as his doe on his "B" tag.
Those are great bullets for factory ammo. I have them for my 30-30 Win. as well as my 450 Marlin.
Any gun shooting a magnum cartridge is going to let you know when the trigger breaks and the primer goes pop---usually in the shoulder, occasionally in the cheek.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal