Author Topic: Do they ever listen?!!  (Read 4678 times)

Offline rebelss

• Forked
  • Gun control is using both hands
Do they ever listen?!!
« on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
I sent an E-mail letter off to my state senator, Al Franken, a while back, disputing banning "large capacity" mags, and "sporting rifles", aka their "assault weapoins"...and my views that it comes down to the whackos that obtain them, etc. So, this is what I get back, that he inroduced legislation to BAN large capacity mags AND "assault rifles"..HELLO.....what did I write you about, numbskull?! About  NOT banning those items.... >:(

March 27, 2013

Dear Mark,

Thank you for writing me about the debate over gun policy after Sandy Hook. I appreciate hearing from you on this important topic. I was deeply saddened by the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that took the lives of innocent children and brave school administrators. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, survivors, and their families. Unfortunately, tragic shootings like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School are not uncommon. We lose more than thirty people every day as a result of gun violence. 
I have always supported the Second Amendment rights of Minnesotans to own firearms for collection, protection, and sport. After the tragedy at Sandy Hook, I travelled across Minnesota to meet with constituents and hear their ideas about reducing gun violence. What I have learned is that we can honor Minnesota’s proud tradition of responsible gun ownership while taking some reasonable steps that will make our communities and our children safer. That is the perspective I bring to the debate over gun policy as the Senate considers legislation on the subject.
One step the Senate is considering is to update the federal background check system. Background checks have blocked gun sales to more than 1.5 million people who were not eligible to have a gun, including convicted felons and people with serious mental illnesses. However, because many states and local governments have not diligently submitted records to the national background check system, the database overlooks important information about many prospective gun buyers. In addition, the background check requirement applies only to sales made by licensed firearm dealers. Individuals selling guns on the secondary market do not need to conduct background checks. In fact, about 40% of all gun sales take place on this secondary market. I believe that we need to improve the background check system, while still not intruding on things like family gifts, where one member of a family may give a gun to another.
The Senate also is considering proposals to regulate certain weapons and ammunition feeding devices, or magazines. Magazines holding more than ten rounds of ammunition were used by shooters in Newtown, Aurora, Tucson, Blacksburg, and elsewhere. These magazines allow a shooter to fire continuously without stopping. Studies also show that these magazines are used in a high percentage of police murders. I support a reasonable limit on magazine size, and I have cosponsored legislation that would accomplish this. In addition, weapons with military-style features have been used in several mass murders. Nobody who has one of these weapons should be forced to give it up, but we can place reasonable limits on such weapons going forward.
Recent incidents of gun violence have also called attention to the need to improve our country’s mental health care system. While I am glad this issue is finally getting the attention it deserves, it is important to recognize that people with mental illness are no more likely to become violent than those without mental illness—in fact, people with mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence than they are to be the perpetrators. Since I got to the Senate, I’ve been working to improve access to critical mental health care that can help families lead healthy and productive lives. One of the first things I did as a senator was to fight for full implementation of Paul Wellstone’s 2008 Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, which requires that insurance companies who choose to cover mental health and substance abuse services do so as comprehensively as they do other medical services. I also recently introduced the Mental Health in Schools Act and the Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Act, which will improve access to mental health services in our education and criminal justice systems.
The Senate Judiciary Committee on which I sit recently passed several gun violence prevention measures, including bills to crack down on gun traffickers, to expand the background check system, and to ban assault weapons and large capacity magazines.   As these and other bills come up for debate in the Senate, I will continue to listen closely to all the Minnesotans who care deeply about this issue, and I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.
Thank you again for contacting me, and please don’t hesitate to do so in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 11:11:54 AM by rebelss »

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Do they ever listen?!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
UM we are talking about Al Franken for god sakes....who could take him serious he was a comedian....I can not be lieve he was elected at all

Offline rebelss

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2013, 11:11:10 AM »
And he shoulda STAYED a comedian, IMO. His letter says he still is.  >:(

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
His reply to this question would prob. be ...........What's to listen to? You sent a letter! :o
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »

Sounds real good another reniger to go with the rest of them morons ; All cause of Sandy Hook Leave it alone still all you hear about ;
     What about the others for god's sake  >:(

Offline rebelss

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Looks like the democratic foolishness got knocked down in the senate today....hopefully, things will loosen up so I can buy some ammo somewhere!!!  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal