Author Topic: Diaphram Calls  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Clamwrangler

• Spiked
Diaphram Calls
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:26:59 AM »
i bought a HS deuce cutter which i have been using to practice with. Ive got the calls down except the purr. From all the practicing the reeds and call itself are in pretty ruff shape. what would be a better quality call i could buy. Ive Heard alot of good things about V-cut reeds and the raspy sound they produce. would it be hard to transition from the call i use now to something like that.
learning to hunt one animal at a time

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Diaphram Calls
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
I have a half dozen with me just about all the time when in the woods. You should have no trouble at all going from one to the other
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
Maybe it's me, but I sometimes have a tough time getting certain mouth calls to work good, need to bend them just right; could be the shape of my palette, my dentist told me I have a small mouth(not kidding). My suggestion is if you find something you like buy a bunch.

Practice rolling your tongue to get the purr down; you don't even need a call in your mouth.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
I have to trim a lot off of them Jeff , never bent any though.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
I just gag and puke.... :o :o :o

Offline TurkeySlayer91

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
Its all about what is right for you. I am an H.S guy but i mean i literally have hundreds of mouth calls. But its all about what sounds good in your mouth. For my my favorite call is the HS cuttin 2.5 but it sounds totally different in my buddies mouth etc, and he like primos. Its all about trying out different calls and finding the one that seals best in your mouth, sounds best etc. You just gotta buy a bunch and try em out. Also dont be afraid to cut the tape on the call to make a more custom fit. Just make sure you take off a little at a time. you can always cuz some off but you cant put it back on. Good luck!

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
When I started trying to use mouth calls I had a very difficult time.  My mouth is narrow, so I did have to bend the calls in order to get a good fit.  Eventually I found an article that suggested that it is easiest to learn on calls with the thinnest membrane you can find.  That made all the difference for me.  The thinnest I could find were made by Primos.  Now I can use other calls but I still usually use the thin lates Primos.  jperch

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »
I finally found some calls I really like and they all sound good, same company I got the owl hooter and coyote howler from: Hooks Custom Calls. They aren't too big, every one I have just bent a little to fit my pallate, popped them in my mouth and the make great sounds without any work. The Executioner 2 is my favorite, also using the Enforcer, Executioner and Eradicator: http://www.hookscalls.com/diaphragm_calls
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:20:13 AM »
X2 on Hooks custom calls picked up a few last year.  I really like zinks as well an they make great decoys  8)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:21:19 AM by hesseltine32 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal