Author Topic: Best shotgun for a youth?  (Read 5918 times)

Offline big j 2520

• Nubbie
Best shotgun for a youth?
« on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »
My stepson is getting his licence this year and I'd like to buy him a shotgun. I'm not sure if he's big enough for a 12 gauge and is a 20 gauge big enough for turkey hunting? I like it to be an auto-load so he can use it on the sporting clay range. Just like to hear some opinions.

Thanks,

Big J
Which way did he go !!!!!

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
Re: Best shotgun for a youth?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »
well how big is he that will determine the gage i would go with the 12 gage just get one that is back bored to reduce recoil .he will grow into a 12 gage if he isnt big enough now

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:32:13 AM »
MY brother has taken many a bird with his single shot 20 guage.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:46:15 AM »
here is a link for recoil surppressors   http://www.98.net/chr/suppressors/index.htm#top

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:14:01 PM »
yeah..ive seen more then a few turkeys drop with a twenty gauge..they actually pattern a ton better then most 12 ga. if you look at my pics in the turkey section..my buddies bird was killed at 40 yards with a 20 ga. just make sure you get a good choke.
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:15:48 PM »
My son's a little guy, so I had to buy him a youth gun to start out with.  I got him a Rossi matched pair .22 and 20 gauge 3" combo.  He shoots it well, and they make turkey load for a 20.

Offline big j 2520

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:26:13 PM »
well how big is he that will determine the gage i would go with the 12 gage just get one that is back bored to reduce recoil .he will grow into a 12 gage if he isnt big enough now

Crowkiller,
The boy is about 5' 2" and 120 lbs.
 I've never heard of back bored before. What is that?

Thanks for the advice guy.

Big J

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »
i wouldnt get something he can grow into...get him something he is comfortable with now...comfort equals safety and confidence. its not so much the kick but the overall size. plus theres always decent demand for youth guns..you could sell it for about 50% at least of what you paid for it when he wants to upgrade.
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline spoonfed

• Spiked
  • anti hunters suck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:39:26 PM »
my boy is 12 and weighs 140 and he shoots a 20ga.  i had him shoot my 12ga and was a bit big for him. he should feel comfortable shooting it.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:25:41 PM »
also if your looking at semi-auto, the recoil is very minimal because it uses the energy to expel the shell :-\

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2006, 06:56:01 PM »
Crowkiller,
The boy is about 5' 2" and 120 lbs.
 I've never heard of back bored before. What is that?

Thanks for the advice guy.

Big J

i was in the local wal-mar the other day and they had youth model Charles daily 20 gauge pumps for $157 a 20 gauge will do almost any job that you need a shotgun to do (expet maybe geese). also you might want to look into the Remington 870, i have one and love it.the only thing i dont like about mine is that it it has a fixed choke. you defintily want something with removable choke tubes.
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:42:56 AM »
You can get the remington 870 with interchangable barrels.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2006, 10:43:51 AM »
There's not an animal I've ever hunted that won't go down with a well placed shot from a 20 gauge. Go with a nice 20ga. with removable choke tubes. They're great to haul around on those long days in the field and are always fun to shoot. Just my .02
Adam

Offline big j 2520

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2006, 11:38:23 AM »
Thanks for the responce guy. My going to take him to the gunshop this week and check out some 20 gages. I don't know who's more pumped about this me or him. LOL It'll be cool to show him the hunting side of the outdoors.

Thanks again,
Big J

PS

I'll let you know what the final selection is.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:36:22 PM »
I read once that (I don't know if all) youth guns can have the stock changed to an adult size when the gun gets too small. so you can save money by buying him a gauge he can use for the rest of his life, then maybe he has a boy one day and he can slap the youth stock on and give it to his son (then he will just have to buy himself a new shotgun,  ;D life is ruff sometimes ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal