Author Topic: let the games begin  (Read 3887 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
let the games begin
« on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »
Just finished dyeing and waxing. Pre-baited a couple of sites. Early K-9 starts next Sunday.......can't wait
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
Re: let the games begin
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2012, 04:43:47 AM »
Out of work in an hour and a half then off to set a small line.(opening of early canine) Pack of 'yotes making a racket in the meadow last night when I was heading off to work but I've got a little sumtin' for 'em this morning. Last week had a hunting pair trying to make a veal dinner of one of my week old calves.......one of them did not survive the encounter ( coyote....not the calf) Luck to anyone else heading out......
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2012, 06:41:50 AM »
Hope you trap a ton of them
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2012, 12:47:18 AM »
Hope you trap a ton of them

ME TOO!!!!! ;)
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Make sure to keep us posted slt!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
Make sure to keep us posted slt!

OK here's an update.....AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG......Just got in a little while ago. cold and wet. I made a blind set where critters seemed to be crossing from one field to the next through tall grass. Instead of staking down the trap I wired it off to the barbed wire fence in hopes that the elasticity or "give" in the wire would hold better and not give them an opportunity to brace and pull out. Trap gone this morning. Signs of a great struggle. Figured the trap,chain and wire likely would get snagged much like a grapple, couldn't be far. I was right.....sort of.....caught a glimpse of a coyote in the chest high grass in the swamp that borders the field. "got 'em" I thought. Well that was the last I saw of him. I chased him through the tall grass, water over my boots, through the thickets and never saw him again. I could hear him for a while always just out of sight. Spent the better part of two hours looking but alas he is gone......
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
That sucks. they have a lot of power so i've heard. gonna set  a few out my self this weekend if all goes well.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
My coyote jinks continues......can't even get a drive by. Posted earlier about the one that got away but it's the only one. Have caught some gray fox and one huge beuatiful cherry red fox. Got my first mink (in a muskrat set) that's it so far. Not much time to put in yet but I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks maybe then......just frustrating because I know the coyotes are here, hear 'em all summer, shoot them when I see them in the field. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Seems to me that if a set is good enough to attract a fox that a 'yote would show some interest as well but it does not seem to be the case. I have used dirt hole sets w/ commercial bait, chicken, old venison (not all at once), blind sets on trails, scent post w/ gland even a srange three hole flat set I read about in a magazine with no luck. I'm sure that the foxes I have caught are worth more than a coyote but now it's personal. I will get one! Damnit!. Luck to all of you
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »
Keep after them SLT. It'll happen. Missed a grey fox last week. Trap was froze in and he took my bait. (trailcam confirmed ) Total so far is two beaver and a coon. 8)

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
You fellas having any luck yet?  ;D I never use bait for k-9's! Lure only!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
No yote's here yet. A few other critters but not much.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal