Author Topic: Bear Hunting 2012  (Read 14337 times)

Offline atplayart

• Forked
Re: Bear Hunting 2012
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
Thanks atplayart,

That's good information and sounds like it's about what I was planning to do.  The only question I have for you then is what size is the hole that you have for the bears to get the oats out when they roll the barrel around?

I like the idea of chaining it to a tree upright, but leaving slack so the bears can knock it down and roll it around.  But with a 4" by 4" hole I'm just wondering if it's too big (i.e. the bears will get all the food out too fast if they can roll it).

I can make the hole bigger if I have to but I can't make it smaller now.

i shoot holes in barrel with shotgun at very close range when barrel is emtpy maybe 10 shots max--- bears will roll it and harder for them to get it out the better they will be at bait longer-- if u still hav the piece  u cut outta barrel u can use self threading screws or bolts to rettach it---four bolts one in each corner ot the piece to the middle of the long sides of the hole --- it will leave four much smaller holes when u reattach it  good luck :)

Anyways good luck this year, I'm pumped to get out there and try this for the first time.

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
Its been close to 20 years since Ive bear hunted in Manitoba, but use to go up to the Ducks every spring and hunt with a friend from Pine River.  As atplayArt said..get some beaver carcasses  from a trapper friend. No bait works better for bear in Manitoba, IMO.  My buddy would fill a old freezer with them just for spring bear season!  He would tie one on a rope just out of bear reach, always kept your attention watching  bears try to get to it!  Good Luck hope you get a nice Blondie..post pics if you do.

Offline atplayart

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
season started today      good luck everyone   can't wait to sit a bait :)  post your pics please :)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
Good luck out there Art.

Offline JetsOrBust

• Nubbie
  • Go Jets Go!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Its been close to 20 years since Ive bear hunted in Manitoba, but use to go up to the Ducks every spring and hunt with a friend from Pine River.  As atplayArt said..get some beaver carcasses  from a trapper friend. No bait works better for bear in Manitoba, IMO.  My buddy would fill a old freezer with them just for spring bear season!  He would tie one on a rope just out of bear reach, always kept your attention watching  bears try to get to it!  Good Luck hope you get a nice Blondie..post pics if you do.

In that case, anyone know where once can get their hands on a beaver in Manitoba if you don't know any trappers?!

Bait has been out for about 10 days now, as of saturday nothing has touched it so far.  I've got a grease pit and about 50 liters of chicken delight grease dumped in it and all around.  The barrel is about 1/4 full with cow feed (grains and molasses), some bread I saved up over the winter, and a few jars of jam.  Then I filled it the rest of the way up with popcorn (and dumped some chicken grease on it).

Nothing for a scent attractant though, I'm thinking of going out to Ontario (fishing season is closed in manitoba) this weekend and catching a few pike to tie to the trees if it still hasn't been hit.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
get some beaver castor, you can get it at a trapping supply place, or order it, they even have it in an arisol can
Take a Kid outside...

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »
Jets or Bust , If I can give some advice ..................go to a taxidermist or tanner and they will most likly have a few beaver  carcass"s that they  might sell you ( Normally around $5.00 ).That's what we have done in the past ,Bob Pauls might be a good start .That and most municipalities  have people who are in charge of shooting nuisence beavers and if you contacted one of them I'm sure that they would put you in contact with someone ..................if you want .

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
JetsOr Bust   Id google Manitoba Trappers Association and ask them for names of members you might call in your area, explain what you want.  BTW its the beaver fat that Black bears like above anything.  So you need the whole carcass not just castor IMO.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
Posting these for atplayart. Good luck out there Art.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:02:01 PM »
Very nice Art love seeing them type pic's ; Keep them coming ; Good luck to you  ;) ;)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
Nice pictures Art...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline JetsOrBust

• Nubbie
  • Go Jets Go!
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »
Nice pics!

I really wish I had a trail camera.  I went out last Saturday and my barrel, which is steel and chained/rachet strapped to a tree was cleaned out.  The bear(s) had also bent back the steel at the feeding hole and swung the whole barrel to the opposite side of the tree.  So I figure it must have been fair sized!

I sat in my stand all day Sunday.  I had a small 2 or 3 year old bear (about 4 feet long but no bulk to him) sneak up from behind me and spend about 20 minutes cautiously pawing food (popcorn) out of the barrel.  He finally left, and I never saw another bear that day.  Hoping to get one a bit bigger this weekend!

One other request for any Manitobans on here... does anyone know a butcher who would do bear?  I could grind it up but I was hoping to get someone to do a few cuts and then make some pepperoni sticks and sausages (I've never done anything other than make deer steaks, ribs and ground venicen)

Offline blue igloo

• 6 Pointer
  • "we don't remember days....only moments"
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »
We did the same.......awesome entertainment!
Blue Igloo

"we don't remember days....only moments"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal