Author Topic: Do does taste better??  (Read 29570 times)

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: Do does taste better??
« Reply #45 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
Cody I would never let something I'm gonna eat hang outside any longer than I have to...   I skin it as soon as I get it home and start butchering it the next day even if its cold enough....
As far as tenderizing it I take it out of the freezer as much as 7 days before we eat it and leave it in the refrigerator emptying the blood out every day...    just my opinion and how I do it..
Aging meat in the right conditions is the way to go Dom, Beef has to age a month before it's considered Choice  ;)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #46 on: Nov 24, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Aging meat in the right conditions is the way to go Dom, Beef has to age a month before it's considered Choice  ;)

Right conditions is the key...   Not outside hanging from a tree in the wind and sun...   Unless you have a walk in cooler, I think the refrigerator is a controlled temperature and the way to go... But like I said,  its JMO... 8)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #47 on: Nov 24, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
I think a lot of what has been said is true, and there are still factors that are unknown or not controllable.  I have collected just one really large buck in my lifetime.  He was great.  I got a spikehorn 3 years ago that was surprisingly tough.  I agree it is better if they drop on the spot, or close to it.  I am not sure why that is, but it's what I have seen.  As far as aging venison, I agree with DD that under the right circumstances it is a good thing.  But that means controlling the temperature and humidity, not an easy thing for us amateurs.  And dealing with a frozen carcass is no fun.  We have a butcher in Hunt, NY who will hang deer during bow season under controlled temperature and humidity.  It's the best and I gladly pay his processing fee.  Back to the question, "Are does better tasting?"  Maybe, I don't know.  I like them all!  jperch

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #48 on: Nov 24, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »

Right conditions is the key...   Not outside hanging from a tree in the wind and sun...   Unless you have a walk in cooler, I think the refrigerator is a controlled temperature and the way to go... But like I said,  its JMO... 8)
A garage with the hide on  ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #49 on: Nov 24, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »
I didnt go to culinary school and I dont have a garage..   Im screaming uncle..  You win... :P
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bigrak

• Nubbie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:11:21 AM »
Pretty good read!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal