Author Topic: The Grouse Trip!!  (Read 12115 times)

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
The Grouse Trip!!
« on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:22:07 PM »
 Well this Morning we got up at 6:40 and got to the Sandilands at 8:00 we drove down lots of Trails but saw nothing it was 12:00 and we had a gathering at 1:00 :-\ :-\.But after we thought that the back of the truck was empty we decided to head down one more Trail.

We drove down the trail and there was nothing we get to the end of the Trail where another road was so we took it sure enough halfway down the Trail theres a Ruffie standing there ;D so I get out put a Shell in the 20.gauge and say it's time to pound a Bird. ;DI det just past the bumper put the Gun up and BOOM!!I fold this Bird then we go and get him perfect shoot half the head was gone. ;D ;D

So we thought we'd go a little further turn around and head the other way down the Trail we get to a intersection and decide to go straight a quater way down this Trail there is Sprucie standing there so I get out load the Gun and look no Bird so my dad gets out 1 minute later we finally spot him again so I get on my knee for a clean shot 1 2 3 BOOM!!he goes down another perfect head shot. ;D ;D

So we keep on going another 2 hours pass and we have 5 birds finall count of the day.

1 Sprucie ;D
 4 Ruffies ;D

All in All it was a great day in the Woods and I am hoping to do it again soon. ;D ;D
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Re: The Grouse Trip!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2005, 09:04:28 AM »
Congrats on the birds.  We went out and walked a bunch of trails yesterday also.  I was mostly scouting so I jumped a few birds that I should have seen but still came back with three spruce thanks to my little brother actually paying attention and looking for birds rather than deer sign.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2005, 05:44:43 PM »
 Well I am glad that you got some N2H. ;D

Deer-Downer

Offline pointer103

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2005, 08:35:15 PM »
Wow, I didn't know that driving down roads looking for birds was that exciting or still practiced.
Not to mention sporting....
Get a good dog, get out of the damn truck, and go into the woods!

In my area, central Mass, the coyotes and fisher cats have have taken there toll on the local grouse population.
My bitch is a great grouser, but we're not seeing the numbers we used to.
I'm going a bit further west and north, there's telling of good grousing there.
Maybe a week from Thursday.

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2005, 09:22:08 PM »
 Well that is a bad thing that the Grouse populations have gone down in your area.And we have drove in or Truck for Grouse for years we do still get out of Truck and walk a while to but we do most of our hunting in the Truck. ;D ;D

Deer-Downer

Offline Cow Creek Kurt

• Nubbie
    • Cow Creek Lodge
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:11:46 PM »
Not very sporting, in my opinion. At least let them fly! Just because you've done it for years, doesn't mean it's sporting or fair chase. >:(

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
 OK guys really this was my first bird hunt and all you guys are doing is telling me how I should hunt and how it is not sporting and how it is not fair chase it is so >:( >:(. We don't just drive around and shoot from the truck and not give em a chance we still get busted all the time because we have to get out of the truck and walk around to the side where the bird is  >:( >:(. We still get out of our truck to shoot the birds like really >:( >:(. We just drive down trails and look for birds and when we find some we get out and try to get a shot at them there is nothing wrong with that and lots of guys still do it. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2006, 04:45:58 PM by Deer-Downer »

Deer-Downer

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2006, 05:05:42 PM »
OK guys really this was my first bird hunt and all you guys are doing is telling me how I should hunt and how it is not sporting and how it is not fair chase it is so >:( >:(. We don't just drive around and shoot from the truck and not give em a chance we still get busted all the time because we have to get out of the truck and walk around to the side where the bird is  >:( >:(. We still get out of our truck to shoot the birds like really >:( >:(. We just drive down trails and look for birds and when we find some we get out and try to get a shot at them there is nothing wrong with that and lots of guys still do it. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.
what ever makes you feel better but its not very sporting

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »
 Not fair chase ok what is fair chase walking or driving until you see a bird whats the diference both still give the animal a chance and a truck gives em more of a chance more cause it is louder going down the trails  >:( >:(.

Deer-Downer

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2006, 11:41:46 AM »
Hey relax DD, not everyone hunts the same, not everyone agrees on alot of hunt methods (bear hunting is a bad one). Don't get too upset about what others say if you use a method that debateable but you are comfortable with. Just stay current with what is allowed and not allowed, things do change, my wifes grandfather used to shoot out the window of his airplane, probably would not go over well now :o

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
Not fair chase ok what is fair chase walking or driving until you see a bird whats the diference both still give the animal a chance and a truck gives em more of a chance more cause it is louder going down the trails  >:( >:(.

yeah, its gives deer a chance too, but is it sporting to drive around until you see a deer in a field, get out of the truck with a rifle and nail the deer ??? man i cant believe your even argue the point of this being sporting ??? how do the birds have a chance? there in the open and your close enough to take the head of with a 20gauge ??? and you had time to get out of the truck, then load the gun, and he was still that close ??? then you shot 3 birds in a row, 1,2,3 ??? did you have time to load all three shots after getting out of the truck ??? something sounds fishy there ???

walking and flushing the bird from a hiding spot is sporting, that is fair chase, the bird has the option to run or fly, and you dont shoot the bird on the ground!
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2006, 10:37:59 PM by archbishop »

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
I've got agree with flyin on this one. I know that a lot of people hunt for birds the way you do D.DNR, and I know that some people don't like it, but it's one way to get a clean shot. I'll shoot a bird on the ground if I see one. I don't wait for it to fly - all though I don't usually see them until they fly. If you only wait until they fly and then just knock a few featheres out of it and don't get the bird, then that's not good either. When I do get a chance to hunt, I walk through the woods. I rode with a friend looking for birds for the first time about 2 years ago. We got 2, and they didn't just stand there and wait for you to load your gun. Don't let these posts get to you. Everyone has an opinion, that's part of what these forums are about. I'm glad that you are getting out and having fun at the sport.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2006, 05:10:34 PM »
they didn't just stand there and wait for you to load your gun. Don't let these posts get to you. Everyone has an opinion, that's part of what these forums are about. I'm glad that you are getting out and having fun at the sport.

that was kinda the point, if you have time to stop a vehicle, load your gun, get out and shoot a bird with a 20 gauge and blow its head off, you were either shooting a bird that was tied up or the whole thing is a lie and you were riding around with a loaded gun shooting out the window!

how close do you have to be to take the head clean off with a 20 gauge ??? im guess that the bird is going to be a little further away than that figure by the time you stop the truck, get out and load your gun aim and shoot!

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2006, 05:57:54 PM »
that was kinda the point, if you have time to stop a vehicle, load your gun, get out and shoot a bird with a 20 gauge and blow its head off, you were either shooting a bird that was tied up or the whole thing is a lie and you were riding around with a loaded gun shooting out the window!

I don't think the kid was lying. nor shooting out his window. You do have time to load your gun and shoot with some birds. Some may run, some may fly. But I'm sure his story is how it happened and he a good day bird hunting.

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »
you guy's walk around to hunt partridge, i can't say i have any buddy's that do that we all ride dirt roads  ;) cover ground thats my theory 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal