Author Topic: What kind of meals do you have at camp ?  (Read 7322 times)

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
What kind of meals do you have at camp ?
« on: Nov 16, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
I know alot of camps are different, just wondering what kind of meals everyone does.  we usually keep breakfast simply, coffee cake,bagels etc. just got done making a big batch of veg. beef soup that i"ll keep hot in the crockpot for people coming in for lunch. along with cold cuts for sandwiches.  for dinners, friday before the opener is gonna be grilled marinated venison steaks and foiled potatos.  sat. nite my friend is bringing down chile and monday it"s roast beef wrapped with stuffing and covered in gravy, and a veg. maybe not as fancy as it sounds, but i like to eat good as the evening with friends is just as much fun as the day of hunting itself !

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: What kind of meals do you have at camp ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »
Usually coffee and stuff before hunting then egg and sausage sandwiches when everyone gets back. Sometimes someone will make a stew, soup or chili too for afternoon.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »
Can't forget Mrs. Dunster's Donuts!!!! :P

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
Coffee first thing, full breakfast is served at 9ish, Lunch is lite if at all. Dinner will consist of usually something I can slow cook in a cast pot on the wood stove unattended,no power in camp. Chili, Tonight was a wild turkey breast with gravy,mashed taters,spinich with onion's. Lot's of venison steak's,beer can chicken, and occasionally this on sunday if a buddy is kind enough to bring it. ;D ;D

" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Skidda

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
We have casseroles for suppers, bacon eggs, sausage toast coffee and juice for breakfast, sandwich meat for lunches, on Sunday Grandma makes us a Thanksgiving dinner, turkey with all the fixins, apple pie and such. And we have all kinds of energy food, whoopie pies, cakes cookies and such.

Offline magoo42

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
Coffee and Baileys for breakfast. Cap'n and Coke for supper. Seriously though, our meals are one of the most important aspects of our week. Big breakfast in the morning. Big meals at night. We have steak night, Deep fried turkey, corned beef boiled dinner, Meatloaf, Lasagne, Fish chowder. You name it. We take our meals very seriously, then at the end of the week we all go to the cath lab at Me Med.

Offline pansycitylimits

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
Food isn't that important. You just need to keep your fluids up

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
some times I hate being a lady........can not do camp because I am always the only woman who goes so therefore........no hunting camp unless I go by myself which defeats the purpose of what is called camp and friends and eating all these awesome dinners you all speak of.......OMG its passed lunch so I am gonna stop reading all your eatting...........

Offline tundraboy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
We eat like kings at camp. There is no power so everything is done in a cast iron dutch oven on the wood stove or in a cast iron skillet on an open fire. We had breakfast burritos(made with homemade venison sausage onions and eggs) every morning except Sunday. Lunches were sandwiches or the birds we killed while hunting. Dinners Thursday night we had a killer venison stew, Friday we had a corned moose roast boiled dinner that was just incredible Saturday was terriyaki venison over long grain rice. Sunday morning we got up and had hash made out of the leftover moose roast. That meal was everyones favorite.

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
We eat well. We'll have ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches on either English muffins or bagels for breakfast; ham or bologna sandwiches for lunch. For dinner, the first night is usually pizza night, followed by lasagna, steamers, baked chicken, spaghetti and Italian sausage, macaroni and cheese with ham, and lobster nights. Wine is part of each dinner, and there's always a burning candle on the dinner table.
It'll chew...

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »
My wife makes up a bunch of different meals that can be frozen and thawed when needed. We always have a lasagna, spagetti n (deer meat)meatballs, some sort of cassaroles, twice baked potatoes to go with some deer steak (fried in salt pork fat with some onions). If we need a side we'll do a rice pilaf or home style mac n cheese, biscuits in a can or bread in a can. Always something quick and easy with as few dishes to do as possible. Breakfast, everyone does their own thing, I have oatmeal. Lunch is in the woods, pb crackers, granola bars, vieanna sausage, slim jims, a candy bar or 3, maybe an apple. If it's rainy or snowy so you want to go back to camp for lunch to dry out or whatever, we'll make up a big home made soup for lunch. Always eat good, but keep it simple.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal