Author Topic: Questions about grouse  (Read 6213 times)

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Questions about grouse
« on: Oct 03, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »
What does is take to locate female grouse?  I've only been hunting them a few years but it seems to me that the females are difficult to find.  I come across single males often enough but until a couple of weeks ago I have never come across females.  Do they like different conditions?
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Questions about grouse
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
I have never found a difference on where male or female grouse hang out. Usually I find both sexes in thick cover by a food source such as wild grapes. I have take an equal amount of male and female grouse. There is no difference in taste either.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »
Must just be bad luck then, I only find singles and once in 5 years hunting grouse have I come across a three hens together.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:44:03 PM »
That tells you how the grouse numbers will be, and it is very important to pay attention to, there is no difference in location that I know of, but if there are more female then male birds and there are alot of birds, the numbers will soon plumet, remember the cycle, but local numbers are still somewhat dependent on the male-female ratio.  maybe its more males than females? and the numbers will drop, I forgot, but its one or the other and I think its the first one.  I know that marten trappers will look for this in marten numbers to decide whether to trap in that particular area or not.  I do have one question for you though, I seem to shoot gray color phase and brown color phase grouse at about a 50/50 ratio what are your numbers of browns and grays.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »
As far as I've ever seen male and female grouse will occupy the same habitat.  In NY grouse season goes from Oct 1 to Feb 28/29 and early in the season most birds I find are singles both male and female.  There is still plenty of food and cover everywhere so the birds spread out a lot.  If it is a particularly dry year you may find some concentrations of birds (usually male and female) around water sources.  Once the snow is on the ground I generally find the birds in bunches because they all need the same thing to survive (food, water and cover).
Their comin' right for us!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2005, 11:02:28 AM »
Find the wild grapes! Man I was jumping grouse left and right yesterday afternoon every time I came near a cluster of wild grape vines. They are feeding heavily on the fruit.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »
I'd say that the grouse I have taken this year are about 70/30 favoring grays.  If I understand you correctly the fact that I'm seeing more males than females indicates that the population could be climbing?  It's hard to tell where the cycle is at now because of the last couple very wet cold springs and last year we had a big storm in spring that the local game wardens said killed off most of the chicks.  My dads German pointer had a tough time finding us anything.  But this year the population seems to have improved here.  Time will tell I guess.  This years berry crop isn't very good, so I've been concentrating on aspen with o.k. results.  Even in the snow I have not seen a group of grouse until a while ago.  Some guys here say that where there is one grouse there are probably more 20 yards or so away but I don't seem to be able to find them.  Thanks all, and keep the suggestions and tips coming.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2005, 12:15:42 AM »
Thats right about the population, if you can remember post next year to tell my if it did rise, it would be interesting to know.  The gray/brown thing is interesting, I talked to a biologist about it, and he gave me a pamphlet with the answer, but I forgot what it was.  If I remember I will post it.  Thanks for the info on where the birds might be.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2005, 10:49:56 AM »
How do you tell the difference between the sexes? if you're only finding single birds, hunt earlier in the season when they're still in coveys
KRIS
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2005, 01:14:09 PM »
Male grouse are typically larger than females, heads usually have longer, darker ruffled feathers and have the just out of bed look.  Also if you take the time to measure their middle tail feather, adult males usually have tails longer than 6 inches.  I've only used the tail feather method a couple of times.  I hope sexing them isn't the problem I'm having with finding female grouse.

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2005, 12:11:28 PM »
Yesterday, after spending a few hopeless hours searching our regular places for some grouse, we decided to check on a spot that I've seen grouse while deer hunting.  Low and behold I spot one grouse feeding on the edge of the trail we're walking.  I shot it and then for the second time in my life a covey just inside the dirty brush that was out of site from us explodes.  I shot three but unfortunately only recovered two(we really miss my dads pointer), and my dad only got one due to a missfire with his shotgun.  All three of our recovered birds we're female.  Go figure.  Hope I can find more like that, it's pretty cool to have them explode in front of you when you are equipped for it.

Offline Van Cleaver

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2005, 07:57:27 PM »
Another method for sexing grouse, is to look at the dark band near the outer edge of the fan. A typical female has a broken band, meaning two lighter feathers at the middle. Reguarding the fan color, I have only taken one gray to well over a dozen red or brown phase birds. Mostly I hunt in PA (mostly northeast) so it may be a regional deal as well. Most of the birds I see are also red and brown-tailed, as well. Here's hoping the numbers will be better this year!

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »
I noticed the break in the fan with these, never noticed it before so I've probably been sexing them properly.
Here's hoping the numbers will be better this year!

Yeah, so far I've seen a significant improvement out here from last year.

Offline Van Cleaver

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2005, 10:13:05 PM »
According to the chart in the PA regs booklet, our nos. should be on the upswing. The season here starts tomorrow, (SAt.) but as I post I'm icing down my tweaked back. Think I'll wait till we get some better weather, as one bad step could really mess me up! Not only will it be warm on Sat., but everything is soaked, too. On top of that the call is for wind of 20-30 mph. Maybe some rest and recupe is in order. Best of luck to those who do get out!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal