Author Topic: inexpensive 50 cal B/P scope mountable rifle suggestions  (Read 6496 times)

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
  • just like in the woods, running the other way.....
    • madIRISHfisherman@myspace.com
inexpensive 50 cal B/P scope mountable rifle suggestions
« on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
looking for the cheapest way to set my son  up with a B/P rifle, can upgrade if I can get him into it. Don't want to dump a lot of money if he doesn't want to continue hunting primitive arms.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2010, 12:44:32 PM by madIRISHarcher »
how can I rekindle the fire, when every place I look there's a fire extinguisher............

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: inexpensive 50 cal B/P scope mountabile rifle suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »
I would suggest a CVA Wolf. Great gun for the money.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
I got my nephew a complete set up for under 200$ a few years ago. Bass pro and cabelas both have start up kits.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
CVA Wolf, you can probably get one for under $150. The sights that come on them are real bad(they move) but I took mine off to scope it anyway. I keep pushing this place for scopes like I own it, but they have the best deals I've able to find, look for free shipping, most of their stuff qualifies.
www.opticsplanet.com
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2010, 12:06:55 PM by stka »

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
must be scope acceptable, can't be a breakable breach ether....Mass. law.......
how can I rekindle the fire, when every place I look there's a fire extinguisher............

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
No break action? Seems like an odd rule, sorry that's all I had. You can order BP on line, so you should be able to find a good deal somewhere.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Sorry I didnt look at what state you were from first or I would have known that. Bigreddodge told me about that law up there.

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
No break action? Seems like an odd rule, sorry that's all I had. You can order BP on line, so you should be able to find a good deal somewhere.

From the abstracts of Mass. Laws,In line ignition systems are permitted providing rifle loads from muzzle, Hinge action { break open } muzzleloaders are NOT permitted.

.44 cal to .775 cal with a barrel 18 inches or more, with only one projectile { no buckshot }
With this in mind, I'm looking for advice on what I can set up or what someone is using within these parameters, then I can have a baseline to work from to set up a combination to start searching.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2010, 12:43:13 PM by madIRISHarcher »

Offline capedeer/fish

• Forked
Re: inexpensive 50 cal B/P scope mountable rifle suggestions
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
.50 cal...150 grains of powder...scoped......works for me!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
I have reliable sources that say the "break open" will be allowed for next season. (2012)  The F&W board is in favor of it but there are no public hearings scheduled due to the election. If he's just starting there are a number of inexpensive inline starter packages available 50 cal with the 209 primer system. Personally I'm buying a T/C prohunter as soon as the law changes.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
I have reliable sources that say the "break open" will be allowed for next season. (2012)  The F&W board is in favor of it but there are no public hearings scheduled due to the election. If he's just starting there are a number of inexpensive inline starter packages available 50 cal with the 209 primer system. Personally I'm buying a T/C prohunter as soon as the law changes.

Thats what sux, I heard the same thing, yet can't get it confirmed, that be the case, I'd do the same and hand him down my old Hawken.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »
I've had my Traditions for 10 years. Paid 120.00 for it through Cabelas. Still shoot s well, drilled and tapped for scope. I have fiber optics for it.
Decent gun for the money.

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
I've looked at the usual suspects online, any hidden gem dealer sites/ used also ?  I am thinking of waiting until we hear moe on the possibility of  rule change.(Mass.)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »
Do you have any used gun shops in your area???    That maybe a good place to look....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »
Just an update on this breakopen thing. The public hearing has been held and had no opposition, we are in the 30 day waiting period now and will be able to use this style in massachusetts this season (2011) 
T/C Prohunter is on my wish list.  8)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal