Author Topic: Southern Zone Rifle Season?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Southern Zone Rifle Season?
« on: Sep 03, 2005, 09:28:30 AM »
does anyone know what the season is going to be? is it going to run concurent with shotgun or is there going to be a special rifle season? also what types of rifles can we use? i tried looking in the dec site but i cannot find anything?

jason

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
Re: Southern Zone Rifle Season?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2005, 11:18:40 AM »
From what I read it's going to run along with the normal shotgun season. You can use the regular rifles Via.. Dec specs..No automatic, No magazine capacity larger than 8 rounds on semi's...Etc.. Etc.. they got the new information posted on dec's website now I think..
h=100 height=100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/deposit/Blood%20in%20the%20Truck%201_zps1mwil74t.jpg[/img

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2005, 06:55:10 AM »
Here's a link to the DEC map.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/legalimp.html

How's it going Caroga?? I'll be up there hunting from my camp a lot this season, you should stop in for a coc%tail!!

Robb
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2005, 10:37:42 PM »
Hey robb it's goin good...I'll deffinately have to stop in for a drink... Maybe I can bring that big nine point thats crossin between my place and yours.. ;)
h=100 height=100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/deposit/Blood%20in%20the%20Truck%201_zps1mwil74t.jpg[/img

Offline synergyboy10

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2005, 07:26:53 PM »
how smmal can u go with the rifle. the website says any center fire

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »
use your best judgement on that one nick. like the website says, any centerfire, but just use common sense.

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2005, 06:20:06 AM »
Hey robb it's goin good...I'll deffinately have to stop in for a drink... Maybe I can bring that big nine point thats crossin between my place and yours.. ;)

Sounds good!! We'll be up there for the northern bow opener bring him by!!
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2005, 02:05:52 PM »
how smmal can u go with the rifle. the website says any center fire

AS you said the website says any center fire caliber, but the general concensus is that a .243 is the minimum deer cartridge.  If you shoot over open fields and have long shots available you might want to look at a flatter shooting round like the .270.  I personally have never had many opportunities at deer that would have been better served if I had a rifle.  Furthest I've ever had a reasonable shot at a deer was about 100 yards.  I'll probably keep using my shotgun, but if I do use a rifle I'll just borrow my Dad's old Winchester lever action .30-30 with the iron sites.  He's taken plenty of PA deer with that rifle in the past so I know it a goodie.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2005, 06:10:33 PM »
Sounds good!! We'll be up there for the northern bow opener bring him by!!
  I didn't have  time to get my bow certification this year...So I'm gonna have to leave him tied to that apple tree untill muzzeloader opens.. :P

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2005, 12:51:57 AM »
I just got a brand new Savage .270 Stevens Model with a Nikon scope...I'm going home this weekend for my birthday (which was the 14th), so this weekend will be a sighting in time. I was just going to use my muzzleloader up here at college (Saranac Lake area), but since the rifles are legal this year, I figured what the hell, I might as well just get one. Last year on opening day, I saw a HUGE 11 or 12 pointer about 300 yards away in the field.  If that happens this year, he's dead!  ;D

-Zach

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2005, 12:45:15 PM »
does anyone know what the season is going to be? is it going to run concurent with shotgun or is there going to be a special rifle season? also what types of rifles can we use? i tried looking in the dec site but i cannot find anything?

jason
I think the deal is, it is not shotgun season or rifle season, but Regular Season, and legal hunting implements include Shotgun, Bow, Muzzleloader, Handgun or Rifle.
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2005, 03:25:15 PM »
wow, that question was back when they announced the rifle season ??? when they werent sure if they were going to have a special season for it or just put it with the other guns.

your right though, minus the bow. bow has a special season, but during regular season shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader, and handgun are all o.k.

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2005, 07:45:27 AM »
oops, guess I better look at dates...
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline Wkules

• Forked
  • Always be sure of your target!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2005, 12:28:55 PM »
I don't know arch, I couldn't find any reg stating that you can't use a bow during the regular season. I sent the question to the NYSDEC I'll let you know what they say (if they respond.)
Nothing better than dawn in the field!

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2005, 06:17:04 PM »
you can use a bow during regular season i was on probation once and was all i could hunt with til i got released

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal