Author Topic: Got to be some Elk Hunters out there  (Read 30629 times)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Got to be some Elk Hunters out there
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »
Quick question, Wyoming or Montana, I am looking for the best place, with a good mix of everything possible, moose, elk, cats, trapping, fishing, woods, etc. I have been out there looking, but can't decide. thanks

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #31 on: Aug 08, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »
USMCFM,

I live in Casper which is pretty much in the middle of the state. I did draw my any Elk tag for my area so I am pumped. I also am going to purchase an additional Cow/Calf tag for the same area which go on sale over the counter on August 15th. I have a 23 day trip scheduled starting on Sept. 8th.

Masterguide,

You really cant go wrong hunting in either state. There are a few additional Elk states that are also superb like Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Idaho. Washington and Oregon are also good states. I prefer Wyoming and Montana because you will find less population in these two states than any of the others and with the exception of Colorado, I think you will find that the draw is easier in these two states. Wyoming has any and all of the opportunities you are looking for including some of the best Antelope hunting in North America. Wyoming is the least populated state in the USA with less than 500,000 people statewide. It is the 7th largest state.
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Aug 08, 2005, 12:31:27 PM »
Sounds good, any specific areas, Iknow some are just flat as can be, with those ravines, What are some of the top wooded areas in your opinion?  Thanks

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #33 on: Aug 08, 2005, 12:47:52 PM »
Anywhere in the north west corner of the state is extremely rugged and timbered. Lots of Grizzlies and Wolves up there. The Wind River Range around Lander, the Big Horns around Buffalo and Sheridan, the Laramie Range in Central Wyoming and the Snowy Range in the south east. Dont ignore some of the high desert areas especially for huge Mule Deer bucks, Antelope and tons of predators. Some of the biggest Muleys in the state are prarie bucks living in the deep draws and high sage. The Laramie Range has a huge population of Mountain Lions as does the Big Horns. You will find excellant fishing anywhere in the state and some bruiser Whitetails in the north east corner of the state (Black Hills/Devils Tower area) as well as the river and creek bottoms.
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Aug 08, 2005, 09:29:40 PM »
Thats what I needed to know, I owe ya one, if yo need any info from where I am, you got it.  thanks

MASTERGUIDE

Offline USMCFM

• Nubbie
« Reply #35 on: Sep 04, 2005, 08:30:23 AM »
Wapati,
     Only a few days for us both now...I leave for Michigan on Wednesday then on to Co on Friday hopefully hunting Sunday or Monday! Hope you are sucessful with your hunt...I can't wait!!!!!
Allen

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:51:16 PM »
I like this thread; as of 5 min. ago I just finished vaccum packing the last of the ELK I shot in Colorado.  It was my first time, an un guided hunt ; north of Meeker.
  I shot him [a 5x6] opening morning at 9:00 am I even got some video of him and 8 cows before I fired the 7 mm mag.   Very cool!
  I was alone when I shot him and had to quarter him up on the side of a mountain, the the lady who owned the ranch packed him out the next day w/horses;  way more work than I ever dreamed of!
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:00:37 PM »
Congrats Wizard. I killed a 5X5 in Wyoming with my bow during archery season. I am still looking for a cow since I have an unfilled cow/calf license. It must be nice that someone hauled your meat out for you on horseback. Me and my buddy packed mine out on our backs like I have done sooooooo many times before. Glad you had a successful hunt.

Offline NEKHUNTER

• Nubbie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2007, 05:45:08 PM »
I am brand new to this forum and could not believe there was no Elk posts. I would like to hear from some other Elk hunters in the Rockies or the northwest. I live in Central Wyoming and my passion is the pusuit of the willey Wapati with my bow. Any others out there that think that it just doesnt get any better than being out there with the bugling bulls?
Hi Wapati, I hunt Elk in SW Montana every two years or so. I have a friend that lives in Anaconda, and we set up a camp and hunt during the rifle season. My friend and I have entered the drawing for a license this year, and plan on hunting during the bow season if we get drawn. I'm really looking forward to hunting during the rut for a bull. I haven't hunted seriously with a bow for a few years now, but it's time to get back into it. I can't wait to get out there and wander around.

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Mar 20, 2007, 01:59:32 PM »
Elk hunting is by far the most exciting to me. After hunting in northwest Montana where it is very brushy for the most part it is a real treat to be able to hunt around Anaconda now where it is open. Even in the timber here there is not the under brush I was used to. I can also watch elk winter from my living room and then wait to see them drop their headgear. Life is good :)

Offline NEKHUNTER

• Nubbie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
Elk hunting is by far the most exciting to me. After hunting in northwest Montana where it is very brushy for the most part it is a real treat to be able to hunt around Anaconda now where it is open. Even in the timber here there is not the under brush I was used to. I can also watch elk winter from my living room and then wait to see them drop their headgear. Life is good :)
Hey zimmer2, are you watching them on MT Hagin or the Red Rocks? I've spent alot of hours wandering around above Lost Creek, and have no other more favorite spot in the country than your backyard. My friends live on North cable RD. I hope to be there this Sept/Oct. I come out once in a while to just fish and enjoy the scenery when I'm not hunting Elk.

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Mar 23, 2007, 07:32:21 AM »
Hey zimmer2, are you watching them on MT Hagin or the Red Rocks? I've spent alot of hours wandering around above Lost Creek, and have no other more favorite spot in the country than your backyard. My friends live on North cable RD. I hope to be there this Sept/Oct. I come out once in a while to just fish and enjoy the scenery when I'm not hunting Elk.

NEKHUNTER
 Mt Haggin, I live out by Fairmont. I have never hunted the Lost Creek area, I have across the interstate from there  but hunt mostly hunt Mt Haggin. Maybe we will get hooked up some day? See ya in bugle season ?

Offline brian d

• Forked
« Reply #42 on: Mar 23, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
In Manitoba we have a descent population of Elk out here, but we find ourselfs going to Alberta for elk. That provence has amazing elk hunting.

Offline maaco321.

• 6 Pointer
  • Take a kid hunting
« Reply #43 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
ELK HUNTIN IS MY FAVORITE!

Offline wyohunting4life

• Forked
  • If your not huntin' your not livin'
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
hey wapati when you say central wyoming you meaning riverton?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal