Author Topic: Opening Week  (Read 2376 times)

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
Opening Week
« on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
Come on guys, lets hear those opening week success stories, and heartbreaks.

Friday afternoon me and my old man made it up to the state land in Rosscommon that we would be hunting. With only a few hours to scout, I found some fresh scrapes complete with licking branches. I hung a stand ,and poured some buck pee into a few of the scrapes hoping to rile up the old boy who had made them in the first place. Next we found dad a spot in kind of an open field. The area had lots of tall grass and hilly terrain. One corner of this field had been destroyed by a big buck, almost every tree had a rub on it. I hunted from sun up to sun down on Saturday and didn't see one deer. Dad got a visit from his spots local buck - a tall tined 10 pointer, Unfortunately he never offered a shot to my old man, and was shot by another hunter about 70 yards from him (sucky part about hunting state land - you are usually not the only one who finds a sweet spot). We helped this guy look for this buck for about 2 hours before we lost the blood trail. Me and my dad were sick thinking about that big buck laying dead somewhere in the woods but you could tell it was just eating up the guy who shot it. Anyways Sunday we decided to try and fill his doe tag in the state land behind our property in Harrison. We sat about ten feet from each other with one guy looking one way and the other guy looking the other way. I was working a can call when we heard a crashing through the thicket behind my old man. As both of us tried to locate the source of the crashing I heard a twig snap directly behind me. I casually turned my head and came face to face with not one but 4 big does less then 5 feet from me! I started thinking "poor dad here he is less then 15' from punching out his doe tag and i gotta be playing defense" soon the does turned around and ran down a drainage ditch and out of sight, all's me and dad could do is laugh. We didn't get a deer but had a great time, and i think that's whats most important

Deer 1  VS. Me and Dad 0 .............but there's still a lot of season left.

So how did you do?

Offline mpriceless7

• Spiked
Re: Opening Week
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »
We have an older guy(83) thats hunts with us and we don't like for him to walk in the woods when its dark. The problem with this is that he shows up late and has to drive his car by me to get to his stand.I saw a doe and herd a buck grunting so I got the gun ready, then I saw headlights and both the deer took off right in front of me. It was'nt a huge buck but I never got a shot. I didn't mention it to the older guy who drove in, he ended up shooting a spike and was thrilled. The other guys in camp know what happened to me but we all over looked it because we were happy he shot a buck at 83. Plenty of time left for me to get one!!

upstatehunter

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2008, 04:46:48 AM »
It really is all about how not how big. Nice stories guys. Big, you will get your chance, until then sounds like you and your Dad are having a great time. One question, did the guy find the ten? If not I would be right back there looking, he may have only grazed it.
Mpriceless7, I applaud you for having the right attitude, you will be rewarded for it I'm sure. That 83 year old man may not get another chance, (I hope he has many more) but you I'm sure will have one great thought on your next buck, and salute the old guy for a great memory.

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »
Opening day i sat all day,except for the hour i went up to the house to put on dry clothes and grab some lunch.Didn't see anything but turkeys!Sunday hunted in the am,then 10 of us pushed the corn fields by my house.There was so much corn we needed 10 more people,because the deer where just running around us! We did fill 5 doe tags and the best part about the push was when that monster 10 point stepped out of the corn 40 yards from by buddy's 12 year old son and he dropped him in his tracks,like an old pro!!! It's the kids second buck this year,he got a six point during the youth season! That was last sunday and i don't think the kid has been able to wipe the smile off his face yet!!! The buck had a 20 3/8 spread and main beams the size of your wrist! I have 1 eaton county doe tag and 1 clinton county doe tag left to fill.It has been a great hunting season so far,hope the icefishing season is a productive!

Offline mpriceless7

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

My brother shot this buck on Thursday.

Offline mpriceless7

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2008, 10:56:08 PM »
i got this buck saturday...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal