Author Topic: Update so far....  (Read 2972 times)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Update so far....
« on: Oct 07, 2008, 10:58:17 AM »
Have had a good start to the 2008 season...

Took my sister on the youth hunt 2 wknds ago to a spot where i was watching a pretty good 8 since august 1st, we got in the stand all cituated and he shows up at 10 yrds about 10 mins before its too dark to shoot, she puts an arrow in em and he goes 3/4 of a mile missing his left side lung.  We were all real proud of her, i got the whole hunt on video, it is her first deer ever, her first buck ever, and she killed em with a bow!!! WOW awesome job siss!
from left to right, dad, sister, and myself with her buck
So sister got us started and got us all the more ready to climb into a stand come openin mornin!

Things were slow, seeing LOTSA deer just no good bucks on their feet yet.  I passed up 6 bucks in the first 5 days, my buddy passed 14, his dad passed 6 also....  Been seein a smaller 8 that we all have been passin underneath the same oak EVERY night.  So with my dad is comin up to hutn friday night, and has never killed a buck with his bow before..  We knew this 8 was a good one for him to kill for his first, so friday afternoon im hangin a stand in the aok for my dad.  Dad gets up, i told him to hunt the 60 farm and climb up into this particular oak tree, and im gonna hunt the 80 farm.  He calls me at dark while im unhooking my climber from the tree.  "I GOT ONE"  hes all excited cuz its the little 8 we were tellin him about.  So he comes and meets us at the 80 farm and we get everybody together and go trackin, found his arrow covered in blood and started tracking, took it 50 yrds and for some reason just could not find where he went after the 50 yards, so 3 guys stay on last blood, me and another guy start doing little circles to try and recover blood.  I get downwind from where one of my bucks died last year and could smells glands.  I stood up, walked over there and there is dad's buck laying in almost the same spot mine died the year before.
  OK, from left to right we have, my buddy, his dad, my dad and me in the black.  WIth dad's first buck.

Ok so dad's deer is dead and found and we're all in a good mood!
Back to passin up small bucks and TONS of does, we decided to try and take at least 20 does maybe more off the 80 farm.  Rob got things rollin friday mornin with the first doe of the season. That decided to die in the pond! lol

Saturday mornin another guy that hunts with us took another doe, so now im pumpin, sick of passin deer, just gotta pull the trigger at least!

Sunday mornin i climb a tree, have deer all over me, finally a good mature doe walks underneath me at 15 yards and i SMOKE her.  Double lung, plus top of heart, she went 40 yards and crashed.  I didnt see her crash but i heard it.

So we've got our venison shortage taken care of, 3 deer put in the freezer in one week.  Not to mention being able to put both my dad and sister in a stand to kill their first ever bucks and first ever deer for sister!  This 08 season has started off a GREAT one!  Bucks are chasin a little already with the colder air this early, sumthins in the air.  Things will only get better from here on out and hope to be sitting behind a beautiful michigan swamp buck soon!  If not, i've got 4 more doe tags that need to be filled!

Good luck everyone in this upcoming season.  Shoot strait and remember someone is depending on you to return home at night, STRAP yourselves in stay alive and hunting!  THis is my first year wearing a safety harness, hear about tragic treestand falls every year so this year im gonna wear it.  Good luck

White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline nontypical

• Nubbie
Re: Update so far....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
congrats to you and your family madness sure is nice to get the whole family involved.great job!

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »
Great job putting your sister and Dad on them nice bucks. Hard work does pay off and you obv. work hard.

Offline UPSTATE

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »
Wtg man ... thats one h*ll of a way to start the season off....

Offline ALASKANSS

• 6 Pointer
  • HUNTIN'MOONSHINE ISLAND
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2008, 02:40:13 PM »
looks like plenty of food for winter!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »
That's Awesome! Congrats on a great start! Your sister sure got herself one heck of a nice 1st buck!

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2008, 11:09:41 PM »
Thanks guys!! Yes sister is lucky! I told her she has no idea what goes into killing a mature whitetail like that!! I've worked my ARSE off all summer for these deer, and couldnt be more happy with the end results!! Hand cultivating 2 acres of corn in midsummer SUCKS!  But... Id do it all over again!  Now i just gotta get mom talked into killing one and we can make it a family thing!  I think i got her talked into coming up and killing a doe for us off the lease during late gun season.  She isnt against hunting by any means, just doesnt really need to do it.  Have a good safe season everyone!  Just helping getting those bucks on the ground for sister and dad has pretty much made my season already, in just 1 week!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
Jeez....save some deer for everybody else. Awesome job on the deers, but you might of spoiled your sister with that buck, I know I don't see'em like that every year (or ever for that matter).

May the rest of your season be as successful as the beginning

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »
Dont worry, as soon as she put hands on that beaut i told her she has NO idea what goes into killing a mature whitetail like that one, and it wont happen every year unless you hunt the midwest.  Headin back up tomarrow to the lease farms for another week of bow season.  Buddy is up there now, he's finally starting to see some good deer up on their feet, corn is being picked, deer are starting to move into the woods again!  Will update with a bloody and bubbly arrow hopefully next weekend!!!!  Good luck all!

Offline doublelungshot

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2008, 12:50:35 AM »
Nice job on hooking the family up and good luck the rest of the season.
A.K.A. Polebender

Stay Safe Strap Yourself Into Your Tree.

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2008, 10:10:22 PM »
THink i got mom talked into a late firearm doe hunt!!! YES!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal