Author Topic: Well?????????  (Read 8283 times)

upstatehunter

Re: Well?????????
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2008, 05:01:55 AM »
Keep at it man everything happens for a reason... what ever that reason is....now thats the question... I know how it burns ya but isnt this what its all about the thrill of the chase ;D  :-\ hit it hard for the next couple of nights and if it dont  happen then sat wack em with the smoke stick  ;)

upstate
Thanks upstate, I will keep bow hunting, in my blood for 25 years now, just makes me wonder what happened to me. I shot at least one sometimes two a year with my bow for over ten years. Then three seasons ago I lost a decent buck, good shot, good blood, for a ways then just stopped. Had five guys looking with me the next morning. turned up nothing, blood just stopped, followed tracks for a long ways till it got with other deer and lost it. Last years Buck, watched it go down, backed out left it for three hours, My son and I went back and found where coyotes chased it off. Searched that day till 9pm and went back next day till dark. Now this years deer, I have to wonder if working so hard to get my son a deer, I lose some of my edge for hunting for myself.
That's what worries me about starting bow hunting is getting bad shots on them and not taking the deer down. I am still hoping to go this year but we will see.
All of my shots in the last three years have been good shots I have made numerous times before. Nothing over 30yds and broadside to quartering away. I know I must have hit something before the deer Tuesday night. First time that has happened, but I know if you bowhunt long enough it is going to happen, or you won't shoot anything waiting for the "absolute" perfect shot. This deer had grass around it but the vitals were clear where I settled the pin. Not sure exactly what happened.
Scott

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »
Well this will be my first year of going out for bow. I've been shooting at a target from various angles and distances to practice. Most likely will be hunting on the ground so I won't have as clear of a shot as would in a tree stand

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
It really depends on where you set up. I would recomend sitting on the edge of a ravine or hill and take the time to clear some shooting lanes when you set up. I would also practice shooting from a kneeling possition and sitting if you feel comfortable doing it.

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »
It really depends on where you set up. I would recomend sitting on the edge of a ravine or hill and take the time to clear some shooting lanes when you set up. I would also practice shooting from a kneeling possition and sitting if you feel comfortable doing it.
when hunting on the ground do you prefer to lean against the tree or kneel on the ground?

halfrack33

« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
when hunting on the ground do you prefer to lean against the tree or kneel on the ground?

leaning against a tree seems like it'd be an awkward shot but is more comfy for sitting. ide kneel to shoot, its just like standing but lower
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2008, 09:31:10 PM by halfrack33 »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »
I have shot deer both ways with a bow, I personally prefer to sit. You have to practice and decide for yourself what feels better. I am not much of an accomplished hunter though, I've only got a few deer on my bow. Good luck.

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2008, 09:03:09 PM »
I have shot deer both ways with a bow, I personally prefer to sit.

I agree with stka, sitting works best for me. Kneeling or standing for long periods of time is tough on the knees, legs, back. Your setup will determine how you sit. Here are my two favorite ground blind setups

1) Good thick blind based around a good big tree behind you - i like to sit on a 5 gallon bucket with one of those spin tops. I can quickly and quietly get into position and if need be get down to a kneeling postion rather smoothly. 
2) Smaller tree good blind around you - i take a cheap ratchet style treestand out and sit on the base, it provides a nice big seat that you can adjust to any height.

They have worked good for me in the past. I think the important thing is to be comfortable, because if you aren't then you are going to move.

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »
I have a little camo chair that i use in my pop-up  for turkey and in my ice shanty. Do you hunt out of a ground blind with the bow? It seems it would be harder to get situated for a shot in there
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2008, 10:01:49 PM by Bgreen02 »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
I agree with BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies, I shot a little buck (5pt, my best to date) from a ground blind. I had a little chair, but it was to tall for my bow. I felt better kneeling. I had never been in a ground blind before that day. If I was going to hunt from one again I would have a chair to watch from.  I'd cut the bottom 1/3 off a 5gal bucket and put my swivel lid on it, I could probably shoot my bow from there. If you're good at sitting still, I'd forgo the blind as it's very restrictive. Also I think kneeling is much steadier than sitting.

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
I was planning on not using the blind just because I thought it would make it harder to get set for a shot.

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »
I was sitting on the ground tuesday night and had over a dozen does and a couple small bucks less then ten yards from me! I was sitting in a downed tree top.I have been trying to be as scent free as possible this year,i think its working because i have sat on the ground 4 times this season and i have had deer less than 20 yards every time. Remember,scent control if your hunting from the ground.Anyway i hope everybodys enjoying those peaceful naps in the stand as much as i do.haha. Good luck to all,keep your brothers and sisters here posted!

• Spiked
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
Two weekends in.....how did everybody do this past weekend? I went up with the future in-laws (father, brother) to their 40 acres in West Branch. Saturday morning seen a couple does about 60 yards out, after the hunt i went to the area i seen them and found a deer hideway. Picked out a new tree and moved the stand thinking i could get a jump on them when the come back in the evening, no such luck....that evening they passed 10 yards from the tree i was originally sitting in. Sunday morning i didn't see anything and Sunday evening i had two little does still with spots eating acorns under my tree for 1.5hrs. I gotta work next weekend, but the following I'm heading to the U.P with some guys from work. A place called Brimley, anybody got any advise for this area?

How did everybody else do?

Offline nontypical

• Nubbie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »
well im heading for montana friday for a vacation for a week then im gonna be in the woods chasing down my buck everyday!!!!!

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
Have fun nontypical,im sure somebody here would keep your hunting spot warm if you would like! HAHA! have fun in montana!

• Spiked
« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
well im heading for montana friday for a vacation for a week

Better dress warm - I heard they got some wild weather there already. I was reading one guys post in the Montana forum and he said they had like 3 feet of snow already

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal