Author Topic: What do I need to start a Hunting Camp?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
What do I need to start a Hunting Camp?
« on: Sep 14, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
After years of hearing stories from my grandfather and father about how much fun they had in deer camp i have decided to try and start one. The big problem is, I have never been part of an actual deer camp, so I have no clue how to organize one. I have been hunting since i was 12 and am now 24. However i have been hunting out of a fully furnished cottage with a jacuzzi. Although quite comfortable after a long day in the field I am EXTREMELY jealous of all the old timers and the memories they made roughing it in deer camp.  So I need your help in organizing a successful camp THIS YEAR.  I have already been told i cant do it, that theres not enough time, so I'm hoping you guys can help shorten the learning curve.  Here are some details

Deer camp - Somewere in Harrison, Rosscommon, or Leota Michigan
Date: November 14-18
Everybody is responsible to shelter themselves. 

I know these areas pretty good, and am sure I can put us on some deer. Any and all advise is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline nontypical

• Nubbie
Re: What do I need to start a Hunting Camp?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
well first off keep it as simple as possible.i tent camp all i have is a couple lanterns a stick to cook some dogs a chainsaw to cut some wood.a tarp to stand under in case it rains.and a pop up table to sit around to play poker.oh and most important lots of beer ;Doh and a ax and hand saw.hope this helps

halfrack33

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
not to be a smart*ss but... all you need is a little land and a few alcoolics ;D serisously a lot of people i know that are part of "hunting camps" here just get away and get hammered. It says someting when there's 13 guys to a camp and you only get 3 deer all year and you go every weekend. But seriously good luck with it even though it's a little late in the year. If it doesn't work, you could always start planning one for next year. It'd be nice to get one togeter that's all about hunting. I know they do exist, but im just the type of guy tat would prefer to do it alone.   

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »
depends on where they are hunting if its in the big woods 3 deer is an accomplishment its not like hunting farm land

Offline MrMarty51

• Forked
  • Huntin`s the name,gettin`s the game.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
I'd go fer the hot tub!!! ;)
And a yoopers tape with the hunting camp onit and a jug of Pendleton.
Did I mention do`nt forget the jug of pendleton??? ;D ;D ;D

Offline nontypical

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »
well i hunt by myself and i have a few bucks on the wall 6 by bow .when it comes to rifle season i dont care i hunt all state land and dont take it to serious i have to deal with all the citidiodiots pun intendeded ;Di just have fun and wait for everyone to leave and hunt dec. i was just helping a brother out .its about having fun and spending time with friends thats whats important great times i hope i helped in my first post.enjoy

Offline toecheese

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:03:50 AM »
Only advise i can give you is good decisions come from experiance. Experiance comes from making bad decisions. Its amazing that knowone has died at our camp over the years.

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Halfrack33 I know what your saying about "Beer Camp", but I'm shootin for a serious hunters only camp. I have a group of friends and family who are serious about doing this, its just that the majority of us have never done something like this. I'm fairly confident that with the info gained here and from other sources we'll have a good time

Good luck to all you guys this year.

Offline upgofurbeer

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »
rent "Escanaba in Da Moonlight"  Take if from the Sodies.  They had a great camp.  Deer camp is a fun time.  I've been attending the same now for almost 20 years.  The only thing different is that after a few years the younger crew switched to the second week and let the old timers hunt the first week.  We have shot a lot of deer and drank a lot beer.  I'm not gonna say that a serious deer camp is boring or won't be fun, but you really got to relax and not worry about the others.  If someone wants to drink a little and not hunt in the morning, let'em be.  Deer camp is often the only vacation some folks get.  We hunt the UP and our camp has grown over the years and we've made a lot of friends.  Being in the UP, there is no way a tent camp would work for us.  We have a cabin, nothing special other than the memories we've made.
Dale Shiffer
Bancroft Michigan
hunt for everything
fish for everything

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal