Author Topic: grousemaster789's hunting - peter cottontail 3/30 pg 3  (Read 11723 times)

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
grousemaster789's hunting - peter cottontail 3/30 pg 3
« on: Sep 26, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »
hey yall, I dont know if any of you know me but I am pikemaster789 from mff and IS. I put in for the same name over here a while ago,( a couple of years) and forgot my password and never got it back. So I finally straightened out email problems and here I am. Any familiar people on here?

Here is some hunting from this past weekend

First field use with the new .12

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008, 07:03:56 PM by grousemaster789 »
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: grousemaster789's small game hunting
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
Hey PM.  Nice shot gun! ;D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »
Hey PM.  Nice shot gun! ;D

hey thanks, you getting out to do any hunting or fishing lately? I havnt stopped by on IS ive been pretty busy
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline out door man

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:53:34 PM »
THAT A PRETTY BIG GUN FOR THOSE SMALL GUYS. WAS IT EVEN FUNN. LOL      NEXT TIME USE THE FISHING NET THAT WOULD BE FUN. JUST MESSING. ANY OF THOSE HAVE FLEAS STILL OR ANYTHING. I NORMAL TRY TO WAIT TILL THE FIRST FROST BUT I AM ITCHING  ;)
Get The Spud Launcher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »
THAT A PRETTY BIG GUN FOR THOSE SMALL GUYS. WAS IT EVEN FUNN. LOL      NEXT TIME USE THE FISHING NET THAT WOULD BE FUN. JUST MESSING. ANY OF THOSE HAVE FLEAS STILL OR ANYTHING. I NORMAL TRY TO WAIT TILL THE FIRST FROST BUT I AM ITCHING  ;)

None had fleas that I saw. They all die the same :P
What up 789? It's yer old pal jiggy!! Good luck with the hunting 8)

hey jiggy, you switch to hunting now or still going after those trout?

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »
hey mylion how do you get the time to do it all you have the life

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
i won't except for a few days on the weekend till thanksgiving

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2007, 06:37:39 AM »
hey thanks, you getting out to do any hunting or fishing lately? I havnt stopped by on IS ive been pretty busy

you got to stop by the NY thread.  ;D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
you got to stop by the NY thread.  ;D

ill have to take a look

Hunting probably until ice hits!! Sat treestands for deer 4 times over the weekend, I am hunting a specific buck, we'll see if I get him. My buddy missed a big 5x6 that hangs out with the buck I'm after, he hit a limb. Passed a TON of 2-3 year old bucks. Good thing I've got until the end of Nov! I did get a nice pronghorn buck if you didn't see it yet.

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?topic=1408.0

Good luck with your hunting and keep us updated!

good luck with that buck. I did see the pronghorn pics. You got em with a bow?

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:21:54 AM »
Ya, it was my 4th pronghorn w/ archery gear, and my second buck w/ archery gear in as many years. Bowhunting pronghorn has got to be one of my favorite hunts.
Ive watched guys shoot them with guns out in the open at like 200 yards. Ive thought to myself I wonder if it is possible to sneak up on one and get it with a bow. Must be a huge challenge to get one that close.

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
I've been hunting pronghorn for a long time now, that buck is the 15th I've taken (8 bucks & 7 does)! It is possible but also very challenging to stalk them and kill them with a bow. A better way to "stalk" one is to watch which direction they are going and read the landscape to position yourself in front of them and try to ambush. They don't behave like deer, when you see one walking a straight line, he has a destination in mind and will pretty much beeline it, making it "easy" :P to maneuver for an ambush. Also they rarely jump a fence as they are not built for jumping, rather they cross under them. They all know where the low spots are and will have trails beat down at certain places, these are good places for an ambush or ground blind. Ground blinds over water holes are also a good bet, but my favorite is to wait for the rut and use the decoy......When it's hot they will rush in to less than 10 yards sometimes!!

sounds like a good deal. I dont stand a chance stalking a deer near my hunting area.

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
Re: grousemaster789's first deer pg 2
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:08:55 PM »
 congrats on your first deer don't worrry when you get them broken on you a bit. No matter how big your first deer is always a great feeling.

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
congrats on your first deer don't worrry when you get them broken on you a bit. No matter how big your first deer is always a great feeling.

It sure was, I dont think ive ever been so excited. The next closest to that was arrowing a deer but we never found that. Im pumped for next year, but its a whole year away :-\

I still have to fill that bow tag

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »
Congratulations on your first deer... 8)
h=100 height=100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/deposit/Blood%20in%20the%20Truck%201_zps1mwil74t.jpg[/img

Offline usmarine2001

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »
Any deer taken with a good clean kill is a good deer. Don't worry about gettin one with a bow it will happen it only took me 14 plus years to kill one with a bow and it finally happened this year. Shot a good doe sunday morning with 15 mins left of our morning hunt, good blood until it hit the swamp/thicket, then it just looked like it disappeared. My buddy was just a bit too eager to get after it and he didn't wanna give it much time to lay down and die and I think he pushed it deep in there and we could have walked 5 feet from it and never noticed it. I have never lost a deer until yesterday, kinda upsetting in my eyes. But anyways nice deer, now that you have one in the freezer get the bow back out and try with that. Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal