Author Topic: Fun Turkey Trip  (Read 9134 times)

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Fun Turkey Trip
« on: May 07, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »
Made a trip up this week to hunt pa for the opening week. Left the house at 1am Wednesday and got there just before 5. It misted and rain light a few times on the way up there but showed more rain and temps dropping through out the day. I decided to set up on a gas well across from a ridge they have rooster on in the pass thinking they would want to come out into the open area to strut.  As it started to get light a bird started hammering on the limb across the ridge. I let out a few tree yelps just before I thought he would fly down and he went crazy on the limb and had to have gobbled 8 times in a row. I sat there thinking he’s going to pitch down and come right in it’s a done deal he has no hens.   

That was wrong when he dropped down he went behind me and gobbled a bunch on the ground but rain picked up and he worked the other way and didn’t hear anything for the next hour.  Not one to normally sit there but with how hard it was raining I was content sitting in the blind staying dry.  At 730 I catch movement to my left and see a bird at 10 yards sprinting into the decoys. See it’s a long beard and pull the gun up, as he got right to the decoy he got spooky and I dumped him there.

Later that afternoon when the rain stopped went out looking for birds for the next day. Ran into and old orchard and picked a few of these gems just starting to pop up. Glad to find some as it’s been a bad year here in md where I live for them.

Found two long beards that evening and watched them go to roost and made plans for them in the morning. Was going to be cold but sunny and figured it would be a good morning. Got set up early that morning and had birds gobbling all round way off in the distance but these birds waiting till almost fly down to gobble one time then go silent. Called back and forth with one of their hens a bunch but nothing panned out and I could hear a bird hammering behind me. Packed up and made a move on him. He was down in a bowl off the edge of a cow pasture. Set up on the side of the bowl and made a few calls to him and he answered and started working his way in. Took him a long time to break into view was thick understory with clumps of multi floral rose and could hear this bird drumming 15 minutes before I finally saw him pop out at 25 yards from a clump strutting. As I started to shift my barrel to get on him he saw me and stretched his neck out and I swung the rest of the way and shot him before he could get out of there.

Was a quick trip but really fun. Saw a bunch of birds out later that morning. Hopefully will be back next spring.  It’s some really pretty turkey woods out there with all the rolling ridges and small hayfields and these old strip mines make great habitat for nesting.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:08:49 AM by hesseltine32 »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Fun Turkey Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Killer trip! Nice work out of you!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 11:37:18 AM »
Sounds like a great trip nice job congrats!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 05:34:17 PM »
Congratulations Cody...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
Thanks guys ! Hopping to get a buddy out soon to hunt if he gets the time.

Offline BIG NINE!!!

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 09:02:23 PM »
That’s definitely a great out of state hunt. Congrats!
Later,
BIG NINE!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal