Author Topic: Absoroka Beartooth Wilderness Area Hunt  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Tenderfoot12

• Nubbie
Absoroka Beartooth Wilderness Area Hunt
« on: Jun 15, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
Hello all!,
    1st time elk hunter this fall.  Heading to the Beartooth Wilderness area for a combination deer/elk hunt.  Looking for any information I can gather prior to embarking on this adventure.  I'm a lifelong whitetail and turkey hunter in Ohio.  No experience at all with elk, but I've always been fascinated with them.  Hunting in mid September with a rifle.  Hoping to catch them rutting.  From what I can read and watch on TV, it sounds like the rush of turkey hunting with a lot more meat if you get it done...  If anyone has hunted the area or knows of Absoroka Beartooth Outfitters and could shine some light on the subject - I would be forever grateful.  Hope to hear from you!!!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: Absoroka Beartooth Wilderness Area Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »
I have no info but good luck on the trip sounds like a lot of fun

Offline Tenderfoot12

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
Thank you.  Are you from Montana?  Have you hunted elk before?  Any tips will be appreciated.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2016, 12:15:35 AM »
Wilderness hunts give you the full experience. Don't know about the outfitter personally, but it'll be a blast. I live about 50 miles from the Beartooth's and have punched my tag there more than once on elk. Keep us posted.
Good huntin' - OH

Offline Tenderfoot12

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »
Thank you!  Living that close and filling your freezer from the same mountains - would you have any recommendations on gear? Especially in the boot department.  Sounds like we'll be riding horses most of the time, but if we need to beat to feet - what would you recommend?  The outfitter has recommended Morrel and another boot that I am unfamiliar with. I'm also using a 30.06 which they are none to happy with, but I've done my homework  , know my guns limitations, and have been practicing relentlessly.  I'm pretty comfortable up to 300 yards - working my way to 350.  Settled on the 165 grain Remington Core-Lokt after researching the ballistics.  Our camp is at the intersection of the North & East forks of the Hellroaring River at the base of Middle Ridge.  Iron Mountain is just to the East of our location.  Have you been close to that neck of the woods?  How's the grizzly situation?  I'm sharing the experience with a buddy who was hunting in Wyoming 10 years ago and was charged after shooting and dressing an elk with another outfitter.  He filled his drawers, but was otherwise unscathed.  Hoping to see some - but not nearly as close as he was.  How are the wolves around those parts.  Wyoming was getting overrun and that was quite some time ago. Any intel will be much appreciated.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
Is this an early season hunt in september or later on? Early season you may encounter snow, but it usually melts within a day or 2, so a good comfortable hiking boot that can handle a few inches of snow would be good. No matter the boot you buy, be sure and break them in by wearing them for awhile. Blisters will ruin a hunt fast!
 I've always said a good bullet put in the right spot will kill anything. I've killed over a dozen elk with a 110 grain accubond launched from a very accurate Tikka 25-06. Killed a 310" bull with one shot at 435 yards with that gun a few years back so shoot often and from all positions when practicing to become intimately familiar with your gun. The best shots I've seen act is if their gun is just an extension of their arm. They are that good. Your outfitter is probably concerned about the threat of a grizzly attack where big heavy bullets and lots of energy is best. I killed a mountain goat in that area, but that was 15 years ago and I haven't been there since. If it makes any difference, I spent 6 days there and never saw a grizzly but that was then.
Most of all tho, enjoy the hunt and have an experience doing so.

Good huntin' - OH

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal