Author Topic: Finding New Rifle Loads  (Read 23048 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Shopping for a Reloading Press
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
I will, maybe later today. I've been so busy I haven't even had time to set the space up properly.  I've been traveling all over for work lately. And working on the boat or fishing one day a weekend. Today is the last youth shoot for the summer so that will lighten my schedule a little.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
Sat down and started resizing some 30-06's and about 20 in I got one stuck, tore the rim off the bottom of the brass. They didn't feel like there was any lube issue on the previous ones. It's a brand new Lee sizing die, anyone have any tricks to get it out? I'll do some research but I'm thinking about heating up the die and trying to push it down with the primer extractor pin. I tried a little but didn't put to much force on it yet.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
Lol yea. I have a trick. I use a case extractor.  Too much lube can stick them too. It creates a hydro lock.  That's why I use horn addy one shot. It's a dry base lube that basically evaporates. 

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
I actually have one shot on order, should be here tomorrow  ;D.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
Good.

Btw, how was your sizing die set?  In other words, How far out was the de-priming pin?  Can you get the spindle out of the top of the die? Your de primer could have been a little loose I suppose and tour expander ball went beyond the case neck...just a thought...

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »
Deprimer was probably 1/8 - 3/16. Case is all the way up, spindle won't come out easily. It didn't slip, it was set flush to the top of the retaining nut from the factory. The case had come out 1/8" or so, but like a fool I pushed it back up trying to get the case holder to grab it again, right before pulling the rim completely off.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »
Sounds like a stuck spindle. If you can pull the spindle out you can probably get the case out.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
I didn't explain that well. The spindle will move around easily in the die, but it won't fit out pat the case neck. I'm thinking about cutting the bottom off another case and running a machine screw through it into the primer pocket of the stuck case. Assuming I can find a tap size that'll work in the large primer pocket, looks like a #8 might be about right.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »
I would contact Lee Precision, Inc. (262) 673-3075, they probably have been down this road many times...  ;)
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »
Thats all a case puller is. A bit, a tap and a collet.

If you cant get your spindle out thats prob the reason for the stuck case. It wouldnt pyll back through the neck easily and you pulled the rim off.  You were lubing inside the necks i hope...

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
I was lubing inside the necks. I did call Lee to see if they had any ideas. He was not happy that I used RCBS case lube, but did manage to finally help me. He suggested using the decapper, with the nut in place to hold it straight using a 3/8" flat punch rap it with a 2lb hammer  :o. I started to ask him about tapping the primer pocket and he cut me of with "no, no, no, wait the base is still on there?"  ::).

He also said they will extract it for something like $12. Add shipping and I can just buy a new die cheaper.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
He is right. If you can get the spindle out, you can use. Punch. Prob 1/4 flat and strike it with a heavy hammet but do not leave it in the press. Put it in a vise.

Fwiw, rcbs case lube is my first choice after oneshot...

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
I actually got two rock chuckers, I was going to thread it into the old used one I got very cheap. I don't want to mess up the die in a vice, even if I leave a quick change collar on it, just doesn't feel right.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Aug 18, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »
Pall the bench vise does is create two shoulders for the retaining nut to sit on. Couple wraps with a rag then just snug won't hurt your die one bit. I've done it probably a dozen times for myself and other folks. But, do as you please and good luck.

Brandon

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #29 on: Aug 18, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
Got it out, thanks Brandon. Biggest issue I had was getting the nut back on the spindle. Finally got it threaded on with a clamp on it while turning. Oneshot showed up today  ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal