Author Topic: ARCHERY SEASON  (Read 7648 times)

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
ARCHERY SEASON
« on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Archery season opens on sept. 6th. In montana !!!
Best of luck to all . Nothing beats the heart pounding feeling you get when a bull elk is heading your way bugleing !!!
Hope for some cool weather for all its been a hot summer so far.
LIVING THE DREAM IN BIG SKY MONTANA !!!

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
Re: ARCHERY SEASON
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
Well my son and i shot the bows...he is doing great !!!
Heading out in the am to shoot again .
we took the target it the mountains . I want him to get use to being out there . This is his first hunting season . We will just day hunt next weekend. The following we will pack in for the weekend . He is pumped ..he is concerend about the bears they talked about it alot in hunter saftey class. The big worry is the grizzleys so i will pack bertha and pepper spray. Bertha is a 480 ruger alaskan. Any way it will be fun just to have him  out there in the wild.

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »
That sounds great and I'm excited for you and your son. I like to pack hunt too and I understand bringing Bertha, but here we aren't allowed to have a firearm or sidearm in possesion while bow hunting.  :-\
It'll chew...

Offline scooby31

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:41:18 AM »
Same here not allowed to carry a firearm must be only in certain states

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
Good luck we open up the 5th.

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Well its a must out here in Montana ..you need to be prepared . Some say pepper spray is best but i have my bertha on my side when i bow hunt. Im sure i would taste good all covered in pepper .When he feels the sting of the 480 he might just change his mind.
Lets hope we have another hunting season with out any bear problems !!!

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »
Looks like 80 saturday and 85 on sunday..too warm for packing out a elk. It should be cool up in the mountains. It will be great to be out there with my son.

Offline Montana89

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
Got mid 30's here in Missoula last night. Gonna try to fill my 260-01 tag this weekend. Gonna be my first try at a
whitetail doe. Should be alittle easier to pack out than an elk lol.

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
Well good luck !  It should be some good eating . We are trying for elk this weekend .

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
Well got the gear ready and heading out early .
 Hope we get into some elk and my son gets to draw his bow ....i think he will be hooked for life !!

Good luck to all heading out in the am.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2014, 05:54:40 AM »
Good luck with the young man , Hope you get some good pic's for us  ;D

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2014, 04:06:31 AM »
Thank you GMH.
Well we seen just two elk yesterday a cow and a calf.
 But we did find a wallow !! What a great day to be out .

It 3:00 am here now coffee is almost done ..we will give it a try today . Rest for the week and work then hit it hard  next weekend.
Its just been fun having my son with me thats forsure...oh he is the one that spotted the wallow..😆😆😆
 Good luck all have a great sunday !

Mt.Perchman

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2014, 06:35:26 AM »

Your son is doing great already learning to play with the animals , Those cards will
              fall into place here shortly ; Go get em 

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
Welll yesterday my son had the flu and stayed home ..
we were meeting my friend at 5:00 am to look and figure out the camp spot .

Well i wish my son would have come . Just get out of the truck and we hear a bugle.
its just breaking daylight. We hoofed it down the trail and sent off a bugle . No response..we waited about 3to 4 min.then i see a bull coming towards us. He is about 130 yards a d closing. My buddy says nock an arrow , but the elk turns and keeps on going. Buddy says lets roll so through the timber we go trying to cut off the elk ...im thing ya right almost impossible.
Well we end up in a park . (Its a open area ). We are talking softly and i see a spike ..then one more and then a raghorn bull then a bigger one , my buddy grabs a arrow and gets ready ...the just keep slowly moving away. He decides to take a shot ..way to far for me.  Well he shoots way low. I start calling with the hyper hot single reed ...here he comes like he is on a string..he comes to about 42 yrds.stops and spots my buddy ..eyes all over him ...then bolts off..im shaking in my boots ..buddy is pumped ...we talk for a  few and head over the other direction .
We drop into another park and  give a call get response instantly ...one more call ...he bugles again..then i see a cow running right to us..no more calling now she is at 40 yards. Buddy has a arrow nocked ...i tell him here comes a bull he is coming right to us he stops at 42yards broad side . Well im watching my buddy on his knees strugling to pull the bow back.
 I have a arrow in my bow and draw ..looking at him waiting for a signal to shoot.. no sign ...he finaly pulls it back moves around( cant believe the bull dont move at all) he lets the arrow go and over  the back it flys... i can believe he missed twice in a half hour...this  is crazy . We talk about it and i razz him to no end...as we walk away i ask him what do you think he would score. Im thinking 335  he says 330 ..what a hell of a bull to miss....guess its my turn next time to shoot...lol

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2014, 05:35:10 AM »
Well im taking friday off and heading up the mountain to try to score on a elk . Its a great feeling to call them in and take one with a bow !!!
Im trying to figure out photo bucket , i have some pict.i would like to share with all of you from years past  just having some trouble getting it set up. I need it soon to post for the white tail challenge lol any help would be great !!

Mt.Perchman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal