Author Topic: Sunday Hunting  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
Sunday Hunting
« on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:09:48 AM »
This topic was thrown around a bit last year, but there are a lot of new members now.

What do you think about making hunting on Sundays legal here in Maine?

As far as Sunday hunting goes for me, my driveway is about a half mile long, so I'm down in the woods a bit. A day without having the whole family wearing orange is okay with me. Also if Sunday was open to hunting then I would never get anything done around the house during the whole month of November. But on the other hand, for the working world, we only have the weekends to hunt. So that means one day a week. To double that up would be nice. I guess I'm on the fence.

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
Re: Sunday Hunting
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:33:13 AM »
I have been an avid hunter all my life however, I do not support Sunday hunting.  Family and animals need one day off per week where everyone can relax.  Sure the seasons are short but Sunday is a great day to rest, recoup, hang out with family & friends, watch football, travel to your next hunting destination, etc.

Offline hilltopper

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:10:54 AM »
I know it's the Maine forum, but I rifle hunt in Vermont and the season is only 16 days long. If I could not hunt Sundays (we can) it would be upsetting. What is the true reasoning behind no Sunday hunting laws in the states that have them?

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:23:45 AM »
The true reasoning is probably from way back when because of religious reasoning.  Things are alot different now.  Many people work 6 days a week and can't hunt unless they take a day off work because Sunday is there only day off.  The deer get plenty of time off during the week because the majority of people only have time to hunt on the weekend.  As far as the argument that non hunters need a day when they can walk in the woods in safety, give me a break.  How many of these people are walking around in the woods on Sunday in November?  I think this law is ridiculous and needs to be repealed.  I know of quite a few people in southern Maine who pay for non resident New Hampshire liscenses so they can hunt on Sunday because they can't do it here.

Offline hilltopper

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:28:26 AM »
I thought it might be an old law that revolved around religion. Ditto your thoughts, chillywille.

Offline Scott Wright

• Forked
  • shotgun, rifle or bow... I LOVE to hunt!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
"No Sunday Hunting" is a part of the original "Blue Laws"... they're called the blue laws because they were written on blue paper back when many of the town and state leaders were members of the "Society of Friends", a devoutly Christian group, who believe it is wrong to work, shop, hunt or do most anything other than rest and attend Church on Sunday. The blue laws have been fading away from our secular society for a long time, and are mostly gone with the exception of Sunday Hunting. This ban is still around as it is supported by the anti's who will agree to anything that limits hunting or fishing.

Personally, I would like to see hunting - at least BOW hunting - return to Sundays. I find it a great break from the work week and very relaxing - or very exciting, depending on what's going on beneath my stand...

;D
Let\'s go get \'em

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2006, 10:01:02 AM »
Great topic to bring up O4T.  I would love to see sundays open for hunting because, like you said...the majority of us work all week long and don't have the chance to get out, except for saturdays. (unless you consider after work for the last hour or so of daylight   :-\)  that's a major reason why I got my bow license.....more opportunity with the longer days during sept. & early oct.  As for November, alot of my guys here at work take their vacation during november so they can hunt, which voids any chance of me taking time off.  I also agree with salmon44 & O4T about having a day without the worry of the whole family wearing orange as well as getting anything done around the house. When it comes right down to it....it would be nice to have that option.  

I guess that puts me on the fence too.....only natural seeing I run a fence company    ;D
~Scott~

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2006, 10:02:32 AM »
I feel sorry for people who are still under blue laws. I would go nuts if I could not hunt here in NY on sundays.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2006, 10:39:39 AM »
i would like to be able to hunt on sunday's i think it's foolish to not be able to . we are an economical challenged state and that does not help us at all , with the non-residents a side like stated above there are a lot of hunters that can only get out on weekends and some just sunday. i for one fall in that boat my wife is only off on sunday's now so i am unable to hunt enough to even make it worth getting a licence, this is the first year i lived up here and aren't able to hunt :'(

Offline buddah

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2006, 12:12:45 PM »
I'm with chilly on this one.I see no logical reason to have no sunday hunting.If someone wants to enjoy the woods, they can,any day they want,whether they hunt or not.As for them not feeling safe,It's simply an unfounded fear.You would be in more danger walking around the streets of portland.

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »
There isn't really a logical reason to not have Sunday hunting in Maine , but if you Google "sunday hunting and Maine" you can read all kinds of reasons people are agianst it. Alot of hunters backed away from it when landowners started to threaten to post their land if Sunday hunting was allowed.

After reading some of those articles it seems most people that don't hunt are terrified to go in the woods during deer season and feel Sunday is there day to go trudging through the woods.  ::)

I've done without it for 44 years and if it will appease the non-hunting public I can live with that.  :-\

Offline MaineBearHunter

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
i too disagree with the fact that non hunters want a day to go in the woods, but im not gonna get into that. if thats their only argument then they should allow hunting in certain areas around the state with a low population, such as the NMW. and if not for deer hunting then atleast small game and maybe bowhunting...just my 2 cents

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
..... they should allow hunting in certain areas around the state with a low population, such as the NMW.

if they were gonna open ANY areas to sunday hunting then it would be the NMW only because of this....
http://www.northmainewoods.org/rates.html     :-\

if anything, they should keep all public land closed and give private land owners the option to allow their land to be hunted or not on sundays.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2006, 02:45:24 PM by fshnfool »
~Scott~

Offline crappie boy

• Spiked
  • hunt for life
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »
do thay have sun day hunts sum were ???
crappie boy name brendan   aint no deer in that field

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2006, 06:26:17 PM »
up to a few years ago i would say yes to sunday hunting i use to get p o because i couldn't hunt my land on sundays iam older now and i think Sundays have just become another day in my younger days it was hard to even find a store opened to buy a gallon of milk today you can shop about any store you want holidays arnt holidays any more there days off and a big day for stores to have a sale take Christmas for ex sample its in December the stores started stockinking shelves for this holiday in October the farmers years back said they would post their land if sunday hunting became law and thats what always stopped it from passing most of those farm are gone now and a housing development sits where the cows us to sh--it my vote goes to save some of Maine tradition

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal