Author Topic: Pheasant anyone?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
Pheasant anyone?
« on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:56:33 AM »
hopefully, this is a successful venture and they bring it up another county or two... ;D

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunttrap/pheasantreleasesite.htm

Kudo's to the DIFW and good luck to the birds...I hope a bunch of em survive and migrate across the Andro.   ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006, 08:00:46 AM by fshnfool »
~Scott~

Offline hilltopper

• Nubbie
Re: Pheasant anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »
New Hampshire stocks 13,500 birds at 76 sites throughout the state. Fish and Game says that about 50% of the birds are harvested by hunters. Obviously some of the other 50% are taken by other predators. What I am not clear on is their Winter survival rate in this state. Say 20% of these birds are not killed by hunters or preators or diesease, how many of that 20% would make it to Spring, and if they do survive Winter, do they breed in the Spring like other ground birds in the state (i.e. Ruffed Grouse)?

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_pheasant.htm

Offline Deer Monger

• 6 Pointer
    • DumondFlies.com
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
I don't know from experience, but from what I have read, pheasant are extremely tough birds and can last out the winter provided there is sufficient wind cover and plenty of feed.
I haven't read anything about reproduction in the wild..... I would say it is little to none.
2009 tally

Woodies - 5
Mallards - 2

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »
I live in the middle of a bunch of release sites and have seen very few survivors make it to Spring/Summer.  It would be nice if pheasants could re-populate as well as the Turkeys are doing in Maine, but I think the winters are too cold & long.  The only survivors seem to live off peoples's bird feeders.  Some day I'm headed to the Dakota's/Pheasant paradise!

Offline SDpheasant

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2006, 09:40:27 PM »
they reproduce pretty darn well around here

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal