Author Topic: New Gun  (Read 12361 times)

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: New Gun
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »
I have a old 740 my grandfather gave to me and it jammed like hell too. I took every single peice of the gun apart and cleaned it and it has never jammed since.
I have a 740 too , gotta use the rounded tip , not the pointy ones . That said it still pulls thru a caseing once in awhile .... I call it Deliverance  8)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Jun 01, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
I've got a Remington model 4 Semi auto in .270 I've had for years and have shot it a lot without a jam, but I keep it clean. But , my go to gun for deer hunting is a Remington 7600 30-06 carbine synthetic stock with a leupold 1 3/4-5 scope. Sweet little rig, weighs about 7lbs (how much do those BARs weigh again?) shoots great, carries great, I also have the same gun wood stock with peep sights for really bad weather or for chasing bears with the dogs. 7600 is a great gun and 30-06 is a perfect caliber, match it with a good scope and you have a winner.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #17 on: Jun 01, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
I will stick with my good ole bolt actions, I got a thing for them 8).
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2012, 04:04:20 AM »
X2, AA you got it !!!

Peddler
Peddler

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
 ;)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
Just keep pulling the trigger and the BAR will keep barking.   ;D ;D Youtube has videos for everything from gun dissassembly to reassassembly, cleaning your oil burner and tie in a peep sight on your bow. My kids got my ruger 22 pistol all apart and couldn't get it back together. sure enough did a search and found the trick to getting it all back in place.  ;)
Thanks for the tip Bog's found the video guy in Harrington , Me. made know I can give here a real good cleaning
gun is 32 years old come Sept.  ;) ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2012, 05:58:02 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jun 02, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
I've got a Remington model 4 Semi auto in .270 I've had for years and have shot it a lot without a jam, but I keep it clean. But , my go to gun for deer hunting is a Remington 7600 30-06 carbine synthetic stock with a leupold 1 3/4-5 scope. Sweet little rig, weighs about 7lbs (how much do those BARs weigh again?) shoots great, carries great, I also have the same gun wood stock with peep sights for really bad weather or for chasing bears with the dogs. 7600 is a great gun and 30-06 is a perfect caliber, match it with a good scope and you have a winner.
your synthetic set up weighs 7lbs. ( BARs 7.6lbs. not much difference ) ???  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2012, 06:01:55 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
I will stick with my good ole bolt actions, I got a thing for them 8).

Keep your bolt action, I think someone might have to pay me to bring that in the woods lol. No offense, my first deer rifle was a ruger m77 bolt and shot my first deer with that gun. I just don't like that after every shot you take you have to pull your eyes off the target to reload. With a semi, pump, or even lever action you can stay on target through a couple shots, and i like to put a couple through the engine room to stop them quick.  8)

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
YO 200, It only takes 1 shot if you do it right !!!!!!!!!!

Peddler
Peddler

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »

Keep your bolt action, I think someone might have to pay me to bring that in the woods lol. No offense, my first deer rifle was a ruger m77 bolt and shot my first deer with that gun. I just don't like that after every shot you take you have to pull your eyes off the target to reload. With a semi, pump, or even lever action you can stay on target through a couple shots, and i like to put a couple through the engine room to stop them quick.  8)

If you need to take your eyes off of the target with a bolt, something's not set up right.  Lee-Enfields are amazing at that very thing.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #25 on: Jun 03, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »

Ask the Benoits  ::) ::) ::) There is no doubt you can cycle less shots thru a bolt action than a pump or lever , however the bolt action is more reliable as far as not jamming than either , and more accurate . To each their own I say  8)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
« Reply #26 on: Jun 03, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
YO 200, It only takes 1 shot if you do it right !!!!!!!!!!

Peddler

Very true it sometimes only takes one shot. But the large majority of the deer I shot at are running, so I don't have the luxury of waiting for the perfect shot.  I will take what I can get and more often than not I have 3 or 4 slugs in a buck when it's all said and done.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »
Huh, That's some shooting i'd say.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
You got that right bogmanjr. I prefer less holes that means more meat

Peddler
Peddler

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »

I seldom shoot at running deer for that reason .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal