Author Topic: When did it all begin?  (Read 55177 times)

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
Re: When did it all begin?
« Reply #135 on: Sep 12, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
As I recall, I started pretty early hunting with my father & grandfather...probably and 7 or 8.  At first, I just tagged along in the car and played in the field while the pheasant hunted.  Then I got to walk behind them at a safe distance away from the guns and dogs...as I got older I became one of the dogs, that is I walked/pushed the thickets and briers while they hunted along the edges waiting for birds to flush.  I distinctly recall grouse hunting through dense pines and overgrown orchards...while Dad took the easy path outside and encouraged me too keep up with his pace.  By 13 (NY passed the law to allow 12+ to hunt), I was legally able to small game hunt with my grandma's single shot 410.  At 14, I got the family hand-me-down Bear bow and I was climbing trees and waiting for a deer to come through.  When I turned 16, I purchased my first gun...a used Browning BPS 12 gauge shotgun which I paid half and my father paid the other half...because I'm left-handed and needed a gun suited for my needs.  Friday after Thanksgiving, I harvested my first deer, a basket 7 point buck.

By 18, I purchased my first compound bow...a new PSE Thunderflite which I paid half and my father paid the other half...because I'm left-handed and the family bow was right-handed.  I harvested my second deer, a spike buck that my Dad had wounded the week before and we lost due to rain.

I've been hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and playing outdoorsman ever since!!   ;D

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #136 on: Sep 13, 2012, 04:23:58 AM »
Awesome start in the field , Glad to see we have something in common you still have the thunder-flight I still use mine today
that's my favorite meat gun  ;) ;) :) :) :)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #137 on: Sep 13, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »
Very nice!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #138 on: Sep 13, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »
Nice DeerReaver.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #139 on: Sep 13, 2012, 08:14:31 AM »
Good stuff.... 8)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline EarlySunrise

• Forked
« Reply #140 on: Sep 24, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
;D ;D ;D Kramer was the best part of that whole series.

HAHAHA Though unrelated to hunting and the woods, I almost just hit the floor when the "steaming hot facecloth" came out! hhaah Loving hte stories guys, keep em coming. STATUE or limitations or not.
Sometimes you've gotta burn the barn down, in order to see the moon again.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #141 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »
OMG I love the old pictures and stories....I wish I had some.........awesome...keep bring the old files out

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #142 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
I told you guys I would take the picture of the kill wall and post it on here. well I took the picture about two days after I said I would but forgot to post it after all this time haha. here is about half of it to give you guys an idea.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #143 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
I told you guys I would take the picture of the kill wall and post it on here. well I took the picture about two days after I said I would but forgot to post it after all this time haha. here is about half of it to give you guys an idea.

that is an awesome patchwork quilt you started there stinginglips....losts of history...

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #144 on: Dec 10, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
Good stuff on that wall TJ.  8)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal