Author Topic: Moose Hunt 2017 is Game On  (Read 13824 times)

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
Re: Moose Hunt 2017 is Game On
« Reply #30 on: Jul 18, 2017, 05:35:45 AM »
i shot mine with my 45-70 350 grain hornady sst. went 35-40 feet spun around and fell over. most anything will work no need to break the bank youll spend plenty of money as it is. my 2 cents try to keep you spending to a minimum

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Jul 18, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
I use remington core lokt exclusively in my 30-06. For moose I use 180gr and deer 165gr. The biggest reason I use rem core lokt is the accessibility. Just about every shop that sells ammo will carry that brand. I've shot 4 moose with the 180's over the years and 2 of them dropped in their tracks, 1 never got out of his bed, the other went 30 yards.
Choose an ammo you're familiar and comfortable with. If that means spending $45 for a box by all means... Any reputable ammo manufacturer will offer a hunting load that will be more than sufficient and accuracy will be greater than any average hunters capability would be to shoot said firearm. Usually if you do your part with the rifle the ammo does its' part as well.

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
Ammo
« Reply #32 on: Jul 18, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
Thank you for the responses to bullets and loads.  Just confirms to me that I am overthinking this, will use the Remington 30-06 core Lokt soft point in 180 grain, have a full box, just need to recheck and confirm the point of aim on the rifle range just before I leave and upon arrival for the hunt.  It's sighted for dead on at 100 yards, so at 300 yards with my Leuphold scope properly sighted would result in a 3 to 4 inch drop.  Heart/Lung shot shooting from a decent rest even at 300 yards held just barely high and behind the shoulder should be money and that I think I can handle, although worst case scenario.  In the mean time will spend time on the range dialing in at point of aim at 100 yards, from offhand shooting position as well as from a rest. 

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
It's that time to line up a meat processer/butcher in close proximity to Zone 2 preferably near Ashland, where I can take a Moose quickly especially in warm temps immediately after registering it at the tagging station.  The butcher would need to have a walk in cooler or refrigerated trailer to age the meat 3 days before cutting it up.  I realize this would mean I would have to drive all the way back up there to pick up the packaged meat but I really don't look forward to the other alternative which would be to drive all the way back down to central Maine with the Moose, trying to keep it cooled down with ice and deliver it to a local butcher.  I'm running into some difficulty finding someone local, called SPW meat cutting two weeks ago, has not answered my call and now his voice mail box is full and won't accept messages, also called Blackwater Outfitters (Dick Cullen) still waiting to hear back from him.  Doe any one have any suggestions/recommendations for a reliable Meat CutterButcher within reasonable distance to Zone 2?

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Jul 22, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
You'll get a list of meat processors (and weather they are able to freeze it or not and if they skin it or not, vacuum seal, yadda yadda yadda,) with your moose permit in the mail.
Ashland tagging station is popular. There will be several people to point you to a butcher but it is a good idea to think ahead and realize it could cost $4-500 to cut it up.

Offline robbfishing

• Forked
« Reply #35 on: Jul 24, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »
A meat cutter usually sets up a trailer right next to the ifw in Ashland . Not sure if the name but I think they are from Windham

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Jul 24, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »
A meat cutter usually sets up a trailer right next to the ifw in Ashland . Not sure if the name but I think they are from Windham

Pretty sure Windham butchers is all done doing their tractor trailer operation unfortunately. Was very convenient for us folks down state.

As far as local Ashland butchers go I've heard a lot of bad things about SPW. There is actually a facebook post about them on a moose hunting page that has hundreds of negative comments. I've never had any of my guys use them so I can't speak from experience, but just passing along what I've heard. We have used Dickie Cullins several times and he does good work. Only disadvantage with him is you will have to go back and pick it up. I'm sure Dickie is going full bore training his bear hounds right now so getting a hold of him might be tough. I would try again though, the guys I'm taking this year were able to get in touch with him last week and reserve a spot.

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Jul 25, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »
You'll get a list of meat processors (and weather they are able to freeze it or not and if they skin it or not, vacuum seal, yadda yadda yadda,) with your moose permit in the mail.
Ashland tagging station is popular. There will be several people to point you to a butcher but it is a good idea to think ahead and realize it could cost $4-500 to cut it up.

The list of moose processors is on the MDIFW site under the moose hunting section, it doesn't come in the mail.  That is the list I have been referring to with my phone calls, I realize the cost of the butchering that is why I'm trying to get a reservation in ahead of time.  Not looking good so far, but thank you for your reply you have been a real help to me with lots of questions and good solid answers, I really appreciate that!

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Jul 25, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
Pretty sure Windham butchers is all done doing their tractor trailer operation unfortunately. Was very convenient for us folks down state.

As far as local Ashland butchers go I've heard a lot of bad things about SPW. There is actually a facebook post about them on a moose hunting page that has hundreds of negative comments. I've never had any of my guys use them so I can't speak from experience, but just passing along what I've heard. We have used Dickie Cullins several times and he does good work. Only disadvantage with him is you will have to go back and pick it up. I'm sure Dickie is going full bore training his bear hounds right now so getting a hold of him might be tough. I would try again though, the guys I'm taking this year were able to get in touch with him last week and reserve a spot.

SPW is definately out of consideration, not going there, I think they are now out of business anyway, heard very bad reports from other reputable local moose butchers down my way which confirms your comments.  I put another call into Dick Cullins, hopefully will hear back from him but the first time I talked to him he said that after last years experience of trying to process over 40 Moose he was gonna hold it down to 20 or so this year, so he may be all booked up, am kicking myself for not committing on the very first call but didn't expect to run into this.

Thanks so much for your reply MEhunter.
Aziscohosbuck

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Jul 25, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
Great news,

Dick Cullins, Blackwater Outfitters just called me back tonight, he put me on his list for reservation of a Moose to butcher and process should we be successful in putting one down!

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #40 on: Jul 26, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
Great news,

Dick Cullins, Blackwater Outfitters just called me back tonight, he put me on his list for reservation of a Moose to butcher and process should we be successful in putting one down!
make sure you tell them how you want your cuts of meat packaged -how many pounds per pack

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Aug 12, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
Gear and equipment,
A member of our party who has 5 seasons of experience Moose hunting in Zone 2 sent me a list of essential gear, supplies and equipment needed for the trip.  Very detailed list with essential items shown in red that he already has and is bringing and other items shown in black that I need to bring which was incredibly helpful.  As others have mentioned in replies to my post there is no need to go overboard as the trip will be very expensive just covering all of the basic requirements such as Maine North Woods campiing and day use fees, butchering and processing fees as well as gas and transportation costs for two round trips, one for the hunt and one for the pick up of the processed meat.  I already have most of the gear/equipment on the list but will either have to order on line or travel to a supplier that can provide the following:

Large and medium sized Game Meat Bags (cheese cloth)
Citric Acid anti bacterial game meat spray
1/2 pound of ground pepper
a Cot to sleep on
Two way radio with charger

Hoping to get out of this for under $400.00
Aziscohosbuck

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Aug 31, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »
Welll now I definatley have some peace of mind from worrying about spoiled Moose Meat!  A member of our party will be bringing up a tow behind refrigereated trailer that maintains a constant 36 degree temperature, so no matter under what conditions or time of day of that Moose kill, should I harvest one it will be quickly and constantly cooled down until it reaches the processor/butcher.  ;D

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Truck is locked and loaded for Moose, meeting my sub permitee at 5am on Saturday 09/23/2017 and we are rolling for Zone 2!  This will be the hunt of my lifetime.  We have two members of our party already up there scouting who landed at the North Maine Woods Campsite we wanted on Wednesday 9/20/17.  I have never participated in a Moose Hunt, let alone been drawn as the primary permit holder, this is going to be an incredible experience!

Aziscohosbuck!
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017, 06:39:53 PM by Aziscohosbuck »

Offline BowME

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »
You always provide great stories from your hunts and I expect this one will be no different. Good luck and I can't wait to read your account!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal