Author Topic: Everyone ready for opening day ??  (Read 7894 times)

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
Everyone ready for opening day ??
« on: Nov 14, 2005, 11:11:02 PM »
Howdy all !
Just wondering if you're ready for the opening day of the southern tier deer season and what your thoughts are on the Sat opener. I personally don't like it. I think too many people are going to be rushed to get to camp, get set up and off to bed for the hunt. I personally would have liked a Sun. opener. I will miss the commodity of hooking back up w/ friends and hanging out while getting ready, instead of rushing. This is only my opinion...what do you think. Good luck to all !!!!!

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
Re: Everyone ready for opening day ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2005, 06:12:56 AM »
I don't think it really matters much.  Most of us would take a day off of work to hunt opening day and get ready on the weekend.  Why not burn a sick day on Friday instead to get ready?  The end result is the same.  In my situation I was always bowhunting up to the last minute anyways so the only difference for me was to call in sick on monday, and then pick up the gun and orange vest instead of the bow on the way out the door....just my 2 cents.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2005, 06:46:34 AM »
This past weekend I think everyone in my county was out trying to sight in their rifles. I heard more gunshots  on saturday and sunday than I do on opening day. I like the saturday opener. I can't afford to take off on a monday opener, plus I don't have to deal with poachers  getting their regular season deer a day or two early while I'm trying to bowhunt.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2005, 06:49:09 AM »
i think with it being a saturday opener and the intrduction of rifle. there are going to be alot more people than usual out for opening day. with this the deer will be moved more and people should get some good chances. i'll be out by 05:30am going to my stand. good luck to all.

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »
Howdy all !
Just wondering if you're ready for the opening day of the southern tier deer season and what your thoughts are on the Sat opener. I personally don't like it. I think too many people are going to be rushed to get to camp, get set up and off to bed for the hunt. I personally would have liked a Sun. opener. I will miss the commodity of hooking back up w/ friends and hanging out while getting ready, instead of rushing. This is only my opinion...what do you think. Good luck to all !!!!!
Good to hear from ya millermankt.Haven't heard from ya since we met at the case lake derby.I agree with you I really am not thrilled about the idea either.I mean it doesn't matter what day the opener is to me because no matter what I will be out there.I can't say that about all my friends though.It was nice having the weekend to hang out at deer camp with all your buddies.I know I am taking off friday but I am not sure that all my buddies can. They say having a saturday opener will get more people in the woods, but the people I know who really are serious about hunting take off work anyway.JMO Good luck to all and hopefully we can meet up on the ice millerman for some cold ones.

Offline tommyboy

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:51:09 AM »
I really dont think that the Saturday opener had too much effect in the Northern Zone.  In an area I hunt at just north of Syracuse, there were more people out hunting this past weekend (with the warm temps) than there were on opening weekend.

If it rains/snows/sleets as is predicted for much of NYS on Saturday, that will probably keep a lot of the fair weather hunters in bed, anyway.  That's good for me, I just have to fill a doe tag.
My guns have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2005, 11:55:45 AM »
The reason behind the Saturday opener (from what I've read) is to attract more youngsters. That is a good thing.
The DEC also wants to sell more licenses...
There will be more people in the woods on Saturday, but as long as everyone uses their heads and push the deer my way I guess that's OK.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2005, 01:54:58 PM by devil-man »
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2005, 04:08:37 PM »
I'm pumped to hunt. I've been hunting up here at college, but with the lower populations, and not seeing much of anything, it gets discouraging.  I'm looking forward to going home and using my rifle (now that I can)...It doesn't make me want to hunt more because I can use the rifle...I'm just taking advantage of the fact that I can use it now.  Last year on opening day a monster buck walked out into the field, but out of the range of my muzzleloader.  This year, he may not be so lucky!  ;)

-Zach

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:16:10 PM »
D-balm , good to hear from you too. It was cool meeting you guys at Case lake. I'm around..just don't post much,although I have lately. Good luck opening day and after..shoot straight and safe ! I have the only doe permit out of 6 of us in Belfast so we'll see how it goes. We've seen alot of bucks throughout archery. We'll definately have to hook up on the hard water this year ! Hopefully have a few cold beers on the ice not afterwards now that I met you. Have you heard anything on another Case lake derby. My friends and our kids had a riot!! Talk to ya soon.    Keith

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:09:32 AM »
HA! HA! Yeah! it is snowing right now!!!! Let it keep snowing from now till saturday!!!!!!!! Too bad it is just lake effect flurries :P
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:17:20 AM »
HA! HA! Yeah! it is snowing right now!!!! Let it keep snowing from now till saturday!!!!!!!! Too bad it is just lake effect flurries :P
We were supposed to get blasted in catt county and we don't even have a hint of snow.I was hoping for atleast a few inches for sat.About 6 inches would be perfect.Let it snow let it snow.

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 11:45:20 AM »
I live in Orchard Park...we got 18-20 inches on the ground right now and it's still snowing like mad.....they said another 6-12 by this evening and then that's it.......

Offline fishboy

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2005, 12:02:11 PM »
Good not to have to tak time off.  Bad cause there will be more guys out. but i agree with devil-man  everybody just hunt smart and push the deer to me.  I'll do the rest.  besides I'm looking forward to leaving all the bowhunting junk i carry with me, behind, no shooting glove, quiver,armguard, extra set of gloves, fanny pack etc. just me and a fully loaded boomstick....and maybe the fanny pack, and an extra pair of gloves but they will be gutting gloves only.

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:35:08 AM »
good luck to all tommorow. hope you get the big one. ;D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:05:41 AM »
Good luck to all tomorrow. Be safe, shoot straight, and take lots of pictures of your deer!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal