Author Topic: "Just ASK" fails  (Read 2478 times)

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: "Just ASK" fails
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
Quote from drobs: "That doofus deserves one in the doodads." ;) ;D
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »
i agree with flukeman don't give up on the state land. some tracts are hunted hard and some are unpressured. as stated most hunters don't walk far to reach there treestands. so if u are the guy who ventures deep in the woods u may be rewarded. just have a friend on standby to help drag. use Ariel photos to locate pinch points and funnels when other hunters start pushing the deer they will use these escape routes. the key is finding them. ;D

Offline NorthvilleNewbie

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Aug 03, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
Thanks guys, and you know what? I do think I will give that State Land a fair shake. From my reading, typically, I understood in the times of yesteryear that successful adirondack deer hunts used drives. You know, from all my watching of the outdoor channel, none of those shows will ever waste time doing an episode in the adirondacks... they'd never spot anything. I watch those shows and they're in Kansas or North Texas and talkin' 50 someodd deer per square mile. I was like "whhaaa?" I feel that if I can successfully hunt the state land in the adirondacks, then everywhere else is easy.

And no, I have no problem hiking into the woods a good 10 miles. I'm glad some of you guys pointed out that most hunters go in shallow, thereby presenting the opportunity to recieve what they might scare away. I am very much into using google earth and DEC's SLIM, as they're my primary tools for initial scouting. I'm just worried about the crazy gun hunting, but by all accounts, very rarely do hunters bump into each other deep in the state woods that deep. Although I must say, I think a handheld GPS is probably a must if I plan to do that.

Thanks guys!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
Make sure you carry a compass with the gps. I know mine doesn't do direction very well at a walking speed. All you need it to do is save the location of the car, then turn it off and put it in your pack so the batteries aren't dead if you need it. I have an eTrax, works fine for that purpose, and affordable. It also uses 2 AA batteries, so you can carry spares easily.

Offline flukeman

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
I never go into the woods without my hand held GPS. We have some swamps down here that are not necessarily large by Adirondack standards, but will turn you around in a heartbeat.

You also have to remember when it comes to TV shows all is not what it appears to be. Between baiting, herding deer, and hunting penned areas it is hard to judge what you are really watching. This does not mean all shows are that way, but even when they are not they are usually hunting where average" joe's" could not or would not afford to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal