Author Topic: 2010 Archery Buck From Ridgefield, CT  (Read 1519 times)

Offline jager61

• Forked
  • Waidmannsheil!
2010 Archery Buck From Ridgefield, CT
« on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »
Lastly, got this old timer on Nov. 18th during Ridgefield CT's archery season!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: 2010 Archery Buck From Ridgefield, CT
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Look at the body on that brusier. How much did he weigh? Congratulations

Offline jager61

• Forked
  • Waidmannsheil!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
He dressed out at 165. He had no back teeth and his rack was all busted up from fighting.  I watched him for 2 hours the evening before trying run off 2 other bucks dogging a hot doe in thick brush but he never came close enough for a shot.  The next morning I saw him on the other side of a stream about 100 yds away.  Having nothing to lose I blew the grunt tube twice.  He immediately jumped into the stream, came up the bank on the other side and gave out this "roar" like Will Primos and his call on TV!!  He came running in with his ears back looking to kick my butt, stopped and gave me a 10 yd shot through the lungs.   He ran off about 20 yards, stood for a few seconds, stood up on his rear legs and jumped straight up in the air and dropped dead!  Haven't stopped thinking about that one! Coolest thing I ever witnessed hunting!!! 

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
Nice buck Jager.... Congratulations.......
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:07:51 AM »
That my friend is awesome!! That sound is truly hair raising. I heard it for the first time two years ago. The word that best describes it is a roar. Great old trophy!! Bet he was a monster a couple years ago!!

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:30:53 AM »
Thats an old boy! Congrats on the buck jager.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:03:39 AM »
Another beauty congratulations.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Woods Wise

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:12:03 AM »
congrats on a very nice buck

Offline jager61

• Forked
  • Waidmannsheil!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »
Upstatehunter, when I first heard Will Primos demonstrate the roar call on his commercial I laughed my A$$ off thinking no way!  Been hunting 25 years and never heard this sound before.  This however was an angry old man fighting with every buck that came near him for the few days around the time I finally got him.  He's nothing special but I'm gonna have him mounted just because the whole scenario of harvesting him was so memorable and of course the "ROAR"!!!  By the way, do you know the guy who was with me?  He's also an upstate boy from CNY who comes down every Nov for 2 weeks to hunt with me.  Something we have been doing for at 15 years now.  An old friend from the college days in Syracuse!  Take care.

Mike

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »
Probably not, but that's great you kept in touch and hunting together after college.
I laughed as well, like a whitetail would make a roar like a red stag!!! :o
Guess what, it will make the hair on your neck stand up. Even after I shot mine he kept trying to get up and get at me, no joke.
He must have thought it was the buck that made the grunt that hit him, and me being the only thing in his sight he was going to kick my butt. 
Again Congrats on all the trophies this fall. Your a deserving man for all of them.

Offline jager61

• Forked
  • Waidmannsheil!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
Wow, that's a crazy deer!  They get so rutted out sometimes that I think they must have blurred vision or something.  On many occasions during the peak of the rut I have had bucks hear me walking towards my stand before daylight and actually meet me there thinking I was another deer and then just stare at me from 10 yards away!  I would shine my light at them and they just stood their ground.  Of course it was never a big trophy buck but nonetheless very bizarre behavior.  Never had them try to attack me though.  That must've got your adrenaline pumping!  Very interesting!

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
Congrats Jager61, That deer is a bruiser !!!!

Offline gdominy12

• Forked
  • Hunting is a way of life..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
nice buck, looks like he's on the way downhill

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal