Author Topic: 2007 Wrap Up  (Read 2303 times)

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
2007 Wrap Up
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
Well, the season is over for me.  Too much work to do for next week (finals week).  It was a good year though.  I shot an 8 point the second day of regular season, but couldn't find it until the next day...it was torn up by coyotes.  ::)  Got the rack anyway, gettin a euro mount done.  Then I shot a doe on Thanksgiving morning with the shotgun (decided to carry it for some reason, first deer with a shotgun in 4 years).  Then in the snow this morning, I shot a spike with the muzzy from literally 8 yards, on the ground...I actually had blood spray the snow in front of me.  Totals for the year for my dad and I:

Me- 8 point and doe during regular season (8 point with muzzleloader, doe with shotgun), spike with muzzleloader.

Dad- 8 point and doe with bow, 6 point and doe with rifle, and another 6 point yesterday with the muzzleloader.

Good season all in all!  Will get pics up ASAP.

-Zach

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
Re: 2007 Wrap Up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:17:01 PM »
I had it both good and easy.  Shot a 7 point buck on opening day of shotgun and then 2 doe on the very next day.  Deer hunted a total of 2 days and shot 3 deer.  It don't get much sweeter than that.  Then it was back to duck and goose hunting.  We are waiting for the opener of the second duck/goose season.  So far we are at 149 Canada Geese and 112 ducks.  Looking forward to the 2nd season as there are birds virtually everywhere.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
Nice job!!  I really want to go out duck/goose hunting, but I really can't call, and don't have any decoys.  Looking to get out at some point, since I just bought a new Mossberg 835 UltiMag that should be a duck/goose blaster.

-Zach

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
stand by......ive still got until tuesday.....ill get back to you

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:59:33 AM »
Nice job!!  I really want to go out duck/goose hunting, but I really can't call, and don't have any decoys.  Looking to get out at some point, since I just bought a new Mossberg 835 UltiMag that should be a duck/goose blaster.

-Zach

I'm brand new to waterfowling this year - wne tout once during resident season, and really enjoyed it. 

I had no decoys until last night.  Told the wife she just ordered me a dozen Canada shells for Christmas.  My mom hasn't gotten my gift yet either, so perhaps she'll be getting me some mallard dekes...   ;D
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:49:16 AM »
Congrats Zach.

This year so far:
Me: 1 doe, 1 8-pt non typical

my dad 1   5-pt

My brother 1 doe ,  1 3-pt

We still have this weekend for muzzleloading.

Fowl mood, that is an impressive number of water fowl.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline csavage1

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »
Almost a wrap for me ,my buddy wants to go one more time.Hopefully the weather will hold off until sunday night.NOREASTER??????
Great news from Zach and his dad, you guys had some great hunting.We got 6 doe and 4 bucks in 4 days at the tier and i got a small billie.The hunting has been getting better year after year.Zach i did see a pure black coyote on the bottom of the hill at tt 1 and brown rd two days before the opener.Maybe we can get some ice fishing plans set for the winter.Good luck on your exams. Carl
Bowhunting is when all the deer and not spooked.After they get spooked you need a big gun.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:55:37 AM »
Great season Smokestick, Loved the pics & a great re-cap also.

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:14:02 AM »

-Zach

Zach-
You can start out by getting a dozen goose shells and as far as ducks go, you can buy a dozen decoys for about $40.00. The biggest part of duck/goose hunting is scouting.  Not only finding the fields or body of water where they are going, BUT exactly the point in that field or body of water that they are landing.  It's called finding or being on the "X".  You would be surprised how birds will pitch in with very little in the way of a decoy spread or calling when you are on "it".  Keep it simple and add to your arsenal each year.

As far as calling goes it's gonna take alot of practice.  Now there are a ton...make that ton of calls out there.  I learned the hard way by buying a crap load of calls before I found a good call.  I would recommend buying a call like the Foiles Meat Grinder ($60 at Gander Mnt) or Buck Gardner also makes adecent inexpensive call that is easy to blow.  Then buy a DVD like Foiles "Calling Geese The Stait Meat Way".  Watch it over and over and over and practice practice practice.  Also you can find a CD or cassette tape to play in your truck.  Disclaimer: This will get you plenty of wierd looks by fellow motorists while you are stopped at a traffic light.  ;D  The biggest thing to remember about calling geese is keep it simple.  There are really only a few calls you need to master.  That would be cluck, moan and double cluck.  All that other stuff you see competition callers do is all show.

Your Mossberg 835UM will make you a great waterfowling gun!  I own 2 of them ad have never had an issue with them in the field.  Probably the best bargain in a wing gun out there.  If you own the 835 that is set up for turkey you can get away with using the short bbl.  You will need to change out the XF choke though.  I can't remember if that gun came with extra chokes, but I would suggest you get a mod choke and imp cyl and then pattern which will be best for you to use.  Shot recomendations would be BB for geese in 3" or 3.5" and for ducks you can use 2-3/4" or 3" in shot size 2 or 4.

Most important....HAVE FUN!!  Waterfowling for me is the best of any type of hunting out there.  You get to sit and watch the sunrise over the decoys as you enjoy a hot cup of coffee.  Another thing I like about it is the companionship of waterfowling.  Sitting in the blind with your buds, talking and breaking stones until the birds show up, shoot, then go back to the discussion at hand.  Probably the most enjoyable part of waterfowling is watching a retriever work.  There is very little in the outdoor world that compares to a good dog working.  I LOVE THIS STUFF!!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal