Author Topic: North woods  (Read 7463 times)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: North woods
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »
Yep I ran 3” high brass 6’s this weekend, I like modified but ran a .410 this weekend and it’s a set Full choke, it devastated that rabbit, glad I got it all in the head
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2022, 04:11:58 PM »
But yes Mike, I’d go 6’s with a modified

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2022, 06:43:36 AM »
I use 6s high brass for everything. It covers all my bases. I like to really each out and touch em. Majority of the time I'm shooting through thick cover so it works effectively.
 I'm old school, this is all out of a 16 gauge 1930s era Fox sxs. Improved and modified.
Are there more effective options, maybe. Do I have 20 other shot guns, yes. But I usually have little problem puttin em down. I enjoy the nostalgia of using a tool that my grandfather used since the 40s. If that gun could talk. Probably  thousands of birds taken over the years.

I cannot argue with this Jason. If I had such a shotgun I can guarantee id be using it as well.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2022, 06:47:39 AM »
But yes Mike, I’d go 6’s with a modified

This is the plan. Sometimes if I use my semi I will actually toss a 7.5 in the chamber followed by two 6s. Only advantage really is if I run into a woodcock. Speaking of, Jason have you been seeing these birds each year? It's getting better here in RI year after year.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2022, 01:10:09 PM »
Everytime it rains I have Woodcock putting around in my yards for whatever they can find.

Then again, you’ve been over my place Mike. I’m in the woods

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2022, 04:46:03 PM »
This is the plan. Sometimes if I use my semi I will actually toss a 7.5 in the chamber followed by two 6s. Only advantage really is if I run into a woodcock. Speaking of, Jason have you been seeing these birds each year? It's getting better here in RI year after year.
Oh yeah we see them mud bats. More so in certain cover. Honestly I don't really target them specifically  anymore. Fun to shoot but not much meat on them and I like tridge meat wayyy better than that darker meat.
Plus, me running 6s doesn't fare well for woodcock when they flush at 10 ft...lol gotta let em get out a ways
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2022, 04:46:53 PM by Huntnfish603 »

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2022, 07:35:52 AM »
Well that vaca was over in a flash. First and foremost, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you, Jason. I had a blast with you and Kevin all day. It was a few years in the making but hands down you guys are exactly what I would consider a friend. Thank you Jason for logging me around and tossing me in the bush like we have done this 100 times in the past. Also, please tell Kevin to take it easy with the garlic. 🙏.

My total count was 3 grouse, 1 snowshoe hare and a grey squirell which for the record, I have never seen up there in the 20 years I've been up there. I did see 3 rabbits total, missed 1 and finally had one in a shooting lane and took him home for dinner. Did not see any woodcock. The grouse were far and few between this year and when I did bump them, they were way out of sight. All things considered the trip was a total success. Met you guys, did some solo pounding and ran into a moose, hung out with the wife for our anniversary and took the kids to santas village and had them outdoors most of the time. Came back home to opening day small game and hammered pheasant, quail, doves and woodcock with the pointers. Onto the next adventure. Thanks again J!

Forgot to mention that I also spent 2 hours fly fishing and caught 2 rainbows. First fish for me up there so that was a small bonus.

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2022, 07:40:58 AM by SHaRPS »
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2022, 08:12:04 AM »
Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2022, 08:17:10 AM »
Awesome fellas! Those food dishes look amazing! Great post!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2022, 08:39:06 AM »
Great job getting out there and getting it done!!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2022, 08:47:23 AM »
Awesome fellas! Those food dishes look amazing! Great post!

Thanks man. Missed you up there but I know you were busy chasing what I was stepping into...

Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:56:31 AM »
Haha yeah we had to get 8 moose down in 6 days, we did it but it wasn’t easy.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2022, 05:05:06 PM »
Nice North country wrapup Mike! It was an absolute pleasure to get to finally hookup and hit the woods together. We really pounded some ground that day and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Glad to hear you found some success the other days you flew solo.Birds were really really tough this year and we all earned every one  that's for sure Mike.  Good score with the bunny too, you witnessed my swing and a miss at the one doing 40 from your direction lol .  Good to see better numbers for the snowshoes though compared to last few years. 
my crews wrapup - Tough is all I can say. So as some others have mentioned, birds just didn't seem abundant or very skittish in general.
I personally took only 3 shots in the first 3 days combined. I even had 2 days with no birds taken. First time that's happened since I was 15 I think. The last day was the best after the hard frost we had more action in one morning than the previous 3 days combined. A positive for the area, I jumped and saw more deer than I ever have up there, makes me think I should have taken the bow for the week instead of shotgun.
We logged 61 hours in the woods over 6 days, total birds taken 15 between 3 of us. Wowza
But I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2022, 02:31:38 PM »
You and I both, Jason. Long ride for me but I love it up there. If I had a solid crew to hunt with each year I would 100% make the ride on my own so I could hunt hard. If you ever need someone to split costs with, let me know.
Honor Respect Loyalty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal