Author Topic: Sooooo, unit 157  (Read 6684 times)

Offline oneloveforchi

• Nubbie
Sooooo, unit 157
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »
I'm New here on the site.....I decided to apply for unit 157 for deer this year. I have a few points built up so I'm sure I'll draw. Anyhow I know there is a lot of private land. I do plan on scouting it pretty hard and learn the boundaries, talk to landowners and so forth once I know I draw out. But in the meantime, if there is anyone that can offer advise on the area, kind of point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Sooooo, unit 157
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »
Welcome to the site and good luck on the draw....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
I think if I were you id get permission and have some ground to hunt before you go and draw the tag. Be a real bummer to draw it and not have any ground to hunt on.

Offline oneloveforchi

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:12:45 PM »
Yeah it would be a bummer. But I have mapped out the land I can hunt. I guess I'll just have to find out when I go up to scout it out. It will be an adventure either way, I'm excited

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »
I live right here in riverton and drive through the area quite a bit, since the game and fish let out a ton of tags a few years ago the deer population has been down, which the land owners like, but not a lot of the land owners give permission to hunt the land either, a couple guides have a bunch locked up for their clients.  The white tail population crashed a couple years ago with blue tongue, but now it is starting to come back some.  A good buck is around 120 inches for a mulie and around 100 inches for a whitetail.  A couple weeks and the game and fish are having their meetings to tell us how many tags they are giving out for each area and any changes to the regulations.  Early is good to hunt, but the corn in the fields can keep the deer on the private, late is good if the rut starts and pulls some of the big boys off the reservation, but hit or miss. Good luck on the draw, I know of a few guys putting in this year.

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »
that was the other thing I was gonna bring up fish/hunt isn't there quite a bit of reservation ground in that area?

Offline oneloveforchi

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
Fish/hunt thank you for your input. I'm very excited regardless if I don't get a big buck. As for the reservation, the area just borders the rez, so as long as I stick with my good map I'll be OK.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
Yeah the map is good and most of the reservation is fenced and posted. Some of the land owners also think that they own the Reclamation land so there are some areas that you need to know exactly where you are, but most of the reclamation and river bottoms are good to go.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
Well the game and fish had there annual meeting and are cutting 50 any deer tags half the doe/fawn tags down to 200. Leaving the whitetail tags alone. The reason is the deer population is crashing some and they do not want it to really crash hard. Other changes around the state are interesting. Spikes excluded above dubois still for elk. Extended season for whitetail deer in some of the general areas. Last year for general deer in area 36, lysite, next year this area is going to limited quota. Area 28 for elk, Lander, is having a split season for elk so just a reminder when the regs come out check to see when things are changing. Good luck to everyone in the draw. Oh and area 100, 25, and 24 there are some big changes for the elk areas there. Might change where you can hunt so check before you apply so you know which area to put in for if you want to hunt a certain section of land.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal