Author Topic: Adaptive Moose Hunt  (Read 7166 times)

Offline Darby

• Forked
Adaptive Moose Hunt
« on: Jun 30, 2021, 08:31:46 AM »
Well, one of my friends didn't check the Bull Only, like I suggested, and he has been drawn for the 4AS Adaptive Hunt.  Zone 4 is my favorite Zone, and have hunted there since the mid 1990's.  Unfortunately, I usually hunt the East portion of the zone.  I understand what IF&W is trying to accomplish, and I hope it is effective.  That said, there are going to be 75 hunters in a 500 sq mile area on the adaptive hunt, and another 100 cow hunters that can go anywhere in Zone 4 that week.   I would hope that the 100 would not hunt in the designated Adaptive area, I'd avoid it like the plague.  I fear that the ones that do hunt that small area by choice, will have no idea what they are doing.  State is discouraging "Road Hunting", but I have a feeling that if two trucks come to a moose on a corner, it could be a "Duck or bleed situation." :-\  I'm not a shooter this time, but will be "guiding" for my two friends.  I'm 10 for 10 on moose hunts (8 as a shooter) so hoping for 11 in a row.  Good luck moose hunters

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Adaptive Moose Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
I’d rather not get picked then pull a Cow tag, prob why I’m still trying and am racking up those bonus points. I need a September Bull or I’m not going. To each there own. I’ve still been on many

Be nice if the bulls still stayed roadside for extraction purposes. Only kidding it’s more fun that They push further back every year. Now it seems like it’s always the 3 clear cuts back from the one at the road etc.

I should put in for 7 and 9 for trade purposes. Huge racks just don’t want to deal with the people. 1-5 are more my style
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »
I WILL put a 50” or bigger down when I pull a tag

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2021, 08:44:04 AM »
Being a new Hampshire hunter I've been drawn twice so far just a question what is the adaptive hunt? i used to put in for Maine 20 years ago but never heard of an adaptive hunt.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2021, 12:49:59 PM »
Being a new Hampshire hunter I've been drawn twice so far just a question what is the adaptive hunt? i used to put in for Maine 20 years ago but never heard of an adaptive hunt.

In a nutshell it’s like a big zoned off area to see if taking out more moose will help flatten the curve of winter Tick kill off etc. it’s just a more managed area of a moose hunt for the Builigists to attempt to gain more info

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the results pan out in a few years.

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2021, 08:41:48 AM »
In a nutshell it’s like a big zoned off area to see if taking out more moose will help flatten the curve of winter Tick kill off etc. it’s just a more managed area of a moose hunt for the Builigists to attempt to gain more info

Sorry was on vacation thanks for the info sounds pretty lame to me!!

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2021, 08:29:34 PM »
Neither of the shooters have ever shot a moose, so they're pretty stoked.  Hopefully I can find a small area scouting in September and October, and end it quick.  I've done the end of October cow hunt twice, and I know for sure we'll be shooting the first one we see.  Good luck everybody

Offline Alex Delarge

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2021, 07:19:41 PM »
Maine DIF&W... I'm old enough to remember when this group attempted to reintroduce Caribou into Northern Maine. They harass bears when they're in their den for the winter. Even started a partridge study as of late. If they don't spend the monies allocated to them, they won't receive as much the following year.

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2021, 09:02:09 PM »
If I remember correctly, didn't a bunch of the Caribou die on the boat being shipped down, and then the rest of them walked back to Canada🤦‍♂️. I ice fish a lot up North, and I have seen moose that are ravaged with winter tick.  Probably should have put one out of it's misery coming back from Ross, but was too worried about warden or judge saying I didn't know what I was doing.  Only time will tell if this plan works.  Either that or we bring back DDT......Kidding of course

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2021, 07:09:39 AM »
Just found out that another friend of mine has a regular cow hunt in Zone 4 that week, so my camp will have 2 sets of hunters for a total of 8-10 people.  A kid could do pretty well on a bottle drive at the end of the week ;D  Hopefully I'll have plenty to report after the trip

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »
Nice! Always fun at Moose camp!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2021, 07:18:04 PM »
That will be a fun time !

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »
Well, we're headed to camp in an hour to hunt/scout Saturday.  Very nervous about the amount of hunters in such a small area.  75 restricted to 4A South, and another 100 that can be anywhere in Zone 4.  I really hope someone doesn't make the news with a close call, or God forbid an actual hit.  I think the State should have made the Adaptive Hunt it's own week, but what do I know.  Good luck to everyone, and be safe.  Crap service at cmp, but hopefully a load of pics after the hunt

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »
Good luck and be safe…
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal