Author Topic: Shotgun Patterning Question  (Read 6414 times)

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Shotgun Patterning Question
« on: May 10, 2021, 05:18:25 PM »
Anybody had a shotguns pattern seem to change even though choke and shells didn’t.

My nova I have I had a really hard time getting it to pattern well. Went through a bunch of different shells and chokes 7-8 years ago till I found a combo that worked well.  Been shooting the primos jelly head and Winchester longbeard # 6s or double X #6 and was really happy with them out to 50 yards.  This year I couldn’t figure out why I was had to shoot my first two birds multiple times as they were within 30 yards. Till I shot my 3rd bird which was at 15 yards and I broke both his legs and when I cleaned him he had bbs from his beard down to the bottom of his feet.  Before this when I shot birds at 15 yards they didn’t have much of a head left as my pattern was the size of a softball at that range.

After seeing this I went to shoot my gun and it’s not patterning well at all. It’s throwing a giant spread in the four shells I tried. Only one it shot “okay” was double xs but thats only out to 30 yards. 

With the ammo shortage I didn’t shoot as much as I’d like to but can’t comprehend how my gun would shoot great with the long beard #6s until this year. Same 1 3/4 oz Iv been shooting out of it for 6 years.

Anybody seen anything like this before or had a gun that was difficult to pattern?

Luckily have a 20 gauge bps Iv been using since this issue to keep hunting.

Maybe it’s a good excuse to buy a new gun been eyeing the new browning maxus 2 they released this year lol.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Shotgun Patterning Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
Any choke damage? Barrel get whacked at all accidentally?

I’ve never had one throw great patterns and then not, I have had them shoot different Points of impact but quickly figured out it was loose fiber optics or beads.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
Not that I can see. Choke looks good and no  barrel issues. What I though it might have been at first but don’t see any damage to either of them.

Going to take it out with a couple different chokes along with the factory full and shoot some low brass 7s I have and see what they look like.   

Just seems so odd to me something must have changed.  Only shotgun Iv had that was so picky with the shell/choke combos as well. The bps I have I can shoot pretty much anything out of it and they shoot well.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 07:47:34 PM »
I run a Benelli Vinci with a Carlsons .665 I believe and the Winchester Longbeard XR 3” #5 shoot phenomenal if you haven’t tried those. Then again you tried them in 6’s so that’s more pellets anyhow prob wouldn’t help

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:48:53 AM »
Pull your choke out and look for damage on choke cracks or unusual wear spots had a choke screw up on me one time small crack don't know how and messed with my pattern installed new choke right back to normal.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 06:13:17 PM »
Problems been fixed.

Put an Indian creek choke in it. These were at 40.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 04:34:52 AM »
That works!  You bought the Browning?

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 05:04:53 AM »
Got it so it patterns well now

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:54 AM »
That works!  You bought the Browning?

Yeah found a maxus with 26” barrel in bottomland. Figured might as well get it as the way things are going cost would only go up or become really hard to get.

Bought some TSS to test as well unfortunately didn’t have anymore longbeards to compare it too. It blew the federal 3 rd degree out of the water though

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 11:59:44 AM »
Yeah not a fan of that 3rd degree
 TSS is impressive out of my .410

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »
Not a fan of any blended’s

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »
First blends Iv tried doesn’t seem to be much if any improvements with the new version with tss. I know a few people that really like the heavy shot magnum blend but Iv never tried them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal