Author Topic: My Son's First Deer  (Read 1781 times)

Offline scansy

• Forked
  • IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
My Son's First Deer
« on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:58:08 AM »
It's been a while since I was on this site - work has been extremely busy - but I'm self employed, so that's a good thing.  But I wanted to post pictures of my son with his first deer.  I guess I'm just a proud Dad.  I know I was happier for him than for any deer I ever shot.

This is his Indiana County, PA doe, taken on the last day of the firearm season.  It's a mature PA doe - probably 2-1/2 years old.  Clean kill at about 30 yards - heart and liver were both split in half.  Although as deer will do, it ran about 50 yards and then stood for a couple of more seconds before dropping.  My son told me he was so excited that he couldn't remember how to get the next round into the chamber! :D  It's a good thing it dropped!  He's 13 years old and didn't have any luck in his first year, and this year he froze up on a 6 point that ended up going past me next.  I felt bad because I wanted him to get the buck, but it wasn't going back to him so I dropped it.  My dad also got a doe.  It was a successful two days of hunting - the last two days of the season.  Don't ever give up.  You can get deer right up to the last minute of legal shooting time.  Or as my dad would say "Nobody ever shot a deer watching TV."

The other cool part about the whole weekend is that my six year old son was jealous that we all got to go hunting and he didn't.  Looks like another hunter will be coming along soon.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: My Son's First Deer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »
Awesome doe. She looks old with a nice long pointed nose. Do you have a weight on her?
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline sunfishkid

• Forked
Re: My Son's First Deer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
she is a good looking doe :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal