Author Topic: Hunter shot in NY  (Read 13270 times)

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hunter shot in NY
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2005, 07:44:46 AM »
I know alot of you guys don't agree with the mandatory blaze orange regs, but I don't think it's so bad. But, that's just my .02

I couldn't agree more, yes we shouldn't HAVE to wear it but at least deer can't see blase orange like we do.  Wear blase camo and your still concealed from deer but a little more obvious to the idiots out there.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:02:09 AM »
Yeah, I hate wearing it, but I do.  I prefer full camo, including facepaint, but safety has to come first.  If I can be seen 500 yards away (especially with the new rifle laws) I will definitely be safer.
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:22:01 AM »
those people are not hunters they are shooters that fire at anything that moves and they don,t belong in the woods let alone carry a gun.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2005, 10:02:12 AM »
People like that is why I hate to hunt on state land.  I could be walking with neon signs and and a blowing a trumpet and I probably would still be shot at.  City hunters.

Its not just state land. I've had tresspassers do the same thing on private land. Luckily my father and I did not get hurt. Unfortunately the idiot who shot got away. >:(
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2005, 10:33:18 AM »
We had a guy out here that was found dead by gunshot wearing blaze orange on a running ATV some time ago.  I don't remember if they caught the guy responsible but its another example of how bad things are.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline killditrite

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2005, 04:26:18 PM »
we have had a mandatory blaze orange law in effect for decades in maine,i really dont think it hinders your hunt as much as some of you might think. i thenk your ability to cover your smell and keep still are far more important. if they get close enough to see you, they are prolly close enough to offer a shot.it seems so avoidable if people would just be sure of there shot and target. such is the case with any senseless tragedy :-\  this is certainly the type of incident that led to my decision to give up hunting. now that my son is older i may get into bowhunting with him.

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2005, 05:52:20 PM »
yull always get idiots last season in nj a bow hunter shot a bird hunter wearing blaze i tend to think it was itended thiers no way you couldnt see someone wearing blaze from a tree stand bow hunting small game hunters are always comming into our setups you just have to deal with it at the same time they push deer to us so its a give and take

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2005, 07:00:18 PM »
my mother had a slug come threw her kitchen wall last year while standind at the sink looking out the window missed her by inches they live in the middle of a field so what were those guys shooting at thier lucky i wasnt there i would have went outside and unloaded into thier tires and they want rifles in chautaqua county yea right

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:04:01 PM »
A few years back during hunting season, one of my brothers had a bullet come through the wall of his house and hit the dial on his washingmachine. I think they were aiming at him though, he had a few people not very happy with him at the time.  ::)

Here in Maine we have to wear at least two articles of blaze orange, a hat and vest. I really don't mind, especially after reading stories like this. I hunt with my brother a lot, and I can usually see him coming long before I hear him.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2005, 05:07:05 AM »
In WI we have to where blaze orang while deer hunting, which because our season is so dang short everyone is out there at the same time, and its nice to know where everyone is, but other than that I don't think there is any other time we should wear it.  I just feel like a target while deer hunting.  if some crazy guy comes out to shoot me it would be too easy to find me.  I wear it, but I don't think it should be required like it is.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline matthewwood23

• Nubbie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2005, 08:35:24 AM »
all these new laws it seems like there worse than before with rifles down south and people not wearing orange i think everyone should were orange deer are color blind they cant see you any way.its always better safe than sorry.

Offline Wkules

• Forked
  • Always be sure of your target!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »
First and foremost I would like to send prayers to the guy who got shot. It sounds like he got luckier than some of the accident victims I've heard of. Although it is based in stupidity it is probably just as it sounds, an accident and is exactly why the regs are there, to try to prevent this kind of thing.
Second, I would like to mention and try to discourage to retaliation talk. These "accidents" do stir the blood and bring out feelings of anger. BUT, lets not feed the anti's any more ammo than they already have. We all love to hunt and are in danger of losing a large portion of that right if these extremists have their way. So come on folks, let's try to keep the discussion a bit more "rational" okay??
I mean really, how many of you out there would truly shoot back? I am just starting my son in the field as I am sure many of you are and doesn't talk like this make you wonder if you are putting your child in danger as opposed to teaching them the traditions of our forefathers?
Not to mention the young members that are out there reading this tripe and thinking this is the way we all are in the field!
Nothing better than dawn in the field!

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2005, 01:55:27 PM »
I really am that way, if I know they are shooting at me purposely, I will 100% garaunteed shoot back to kill, I won't take someone shooting at me, thats how people get themselves killed, and I will teach my son the same thing, they need to shoot back, and the blaze orange really can be prevented by just knowing your target before you shoot, and just overall making smart shots.  I just wish everyone did that, if they did, it would be completely safe, and just because some of the land I hunt is public I wear blaze orange, because I know there are some crazy people out there. 

MASTERGUIDE

Offline matthewwood23

• Nubbie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2005, 08:49:10 PM »
how do you know if someone is really shooting at you 99% of the killings are from people mistaking people from animals the only one i know that wasnt a accident was the ordeal over the treestand in i think wisconsin lets try to prevent accidents and deaths by by wearing a little orange so people can see each other instead of shooting back at people.I dont think we need anymor reasons to give antihunters to right about or complain about.

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:22:26 PM »
i think that state fish and wildlife agencys should put a box of orange vest on the counters of the places where people buy thier hunting licenses i think that might help to make more people wear blaze orange.
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal