Author Topic: When did you guys start hunting  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Blaze Orange

• Forked
When did you guys start hunting
« on: Jun 15, 2005, 02:49:11 PM »
I can remember my first trip with my dad like it was yesterday. He has a membership at the portage counrty club (@delta) and there is an annual father/son hunt. We had to paddle about 25 minutes and nailed 6 nice mallards each. I was 13    Before that I just hunted around the yard shooting squirrels with a pellet gun. Lots of fun.
never fails, when you need to take a leak you miss the big one.

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
Re: When did you guys start hunting
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »
the first time i went hunting was 6  years ago when i was 8,with my dad and uncle but i was in the woods with them before that 
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2005, 08:10:11 PM »
Well I started going with my dad when I was like 8.  When I turned 14 I got a bow and started bow hunting.  So I started the legal age of 14.  I can remember the first evening in a treestand, man what a time.  Of course I didnt see anything but it was still a blast. ;D

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2005, 06:37:00 AM »
I was about eight. (A long time ago!)
My grandfather took me squirrel and bird hunting in central PA with a .410.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2005, 09:23:37 AM »
Hunting groundhogs age 6 with dad in Ontario. Rabbits for the next few years, then moved to BC. Target practiced on many grouse. Age 13, first moose, 59 inch spread. Never wanted to shoot one that big again (tough chewing). Now days I wait for the little ones in this picture to grow for a few more months, then I harvest.
[/img]

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2005, 10:15:54 AM »
Here in Pa. you must be 12 to hunt. I never wen't out with my dad till I had a legal license but I've made up for the lost time since then. Man that was a long time ago.
       Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
Here in Pa. you must be 12 to hunt. I never wen't out with my dad till I had a legal license but I've made up for the lost time since then. Man that was a long time ago.
       Jim

wow, here in vermont if u can read and pass  the test ur old enough to hunt ;) ;)
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2005, 05:14:24 AM »
Here in Pa. you must be 12 to hunt.

I never said it was legal. My Grandfather just took me along.
It was in and around Lewistown, PA.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2005, 09:27:12 AM »
My 12 yr old son just passed his hunter exam last month. All he wants to do this summer holiday is go hunting with me. I've applied for moose draws that start August 15, so we will be going out for a 2 week hunt in northern BC after that. Says he wants to get a moose before he turns 13 on Sept 10. He has to hunt with someone over the age of 19 that holds a valid hunting lisence.
My buddy let his 6 yr old shoot their moose last year. Not really legal either but he was right beside him holding the gun for a rest. The little fellow hit him right in the lungs from 135 yards. His dad had been coaching him on where to hit a moose prior to going out.
His dad was so proud because he never hit the calf that was suckling on its mother. Just kidding, but that last comment is for the antis. My dad loves going to parties or debates with antis and when they have made their point...he says..."You would have been so proud of me, why last year I shot a big doe deer from 450 yards" (then he gives them an example of how far that is) then he says, "Yep 450 yards and I never even touched the fawn that was suckling on her". Then the sparks start flying. He is just joking around of course.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2005, 06:28:25 AM »
i started when i was about 10, hunting squirrel, woodchucks, and rabbit. then about 17 i took a few years off and started back hunting hard core about age 23 and have been out constantly for the past 6 years.

i take my 2 older kids out alot when im small game hunting and a couple time a year deer hunting. my youngest has a couple more years before he goes out hunting, but i take him out with me when im scouting or just going for a walk

buzzbomb

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2005, 08:08:06 AM »
Dad used to borrow a .410 from the elevator agent and take me grouse hunting when I was 7 - 8 and let me shoot sometimes and I used to go duck hunting with him and act as a retriever. At 14 I started using the old 12 guage "Topper" and when I was 16 I got my own Rem.870.  I didn't start deer hunting until I was 16 in 1970 but my cousins on the farm began much earlier.  I think one of my cousins took his son out and he got his first deer when he was just 12!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2005, 07:49:59 PM »
My dad has never hunted, so I got my bow when I was 18 and started to hunt then but never yet have shot a deer with it, I started to gun hunt when I was 23, starting with moose then deer, haven't shot a moose yet (this is my year) but shot my first deer running 150yds out clean kill, then last year came over a rise on a field and saw two deer took my shot 200yds out dropped the first one, didn't see it drop so I thought the one that was walking around was the one I shot so I took two more shots and harvested it too, then shot my first real buck on the same trip 200yds out off hand.

man do I love hunting

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »
I started hunting with my father, uncles and cousins when I was about 8 years old.  It was only for small game (grouse, rabbits, etc.) and I'd walk along behind my Dad while he hunted.  He showed me how to read tracks and what the different animals in the area were and where to find them.  He also taught me how to have a sense of direction and not get lost in the woods.  He was always asking me while hunting where the car was or where our cabin was and how I knew.  Then he would say "lead us home" and I'd lead the way and he would follow even if I went in the wrong direction.  If I went off he would sit down where we were and have me figure out how I went wrong.  A lot of great memories for me.  I didn't actually start carrying a gun regularly until I was 14 (the legal age in NY when I started) for small game, then 16 for deer.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »
Actually started to hunt when I was 12. Dad starting taking me with him in the woods when I was 4. When 12 finally rolled around killing turkeys was fairly easy for me, because I had watched him do it so much. The first year I turkey hunted I scored on a nice bird with a 8.5 inch beard and plus 20 lbs.

Jon

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2005, 02:02:48 AM »
watched dad and pop and uncles go since i was about 5 or 6 and always wanted to go but dad said i had to be up when he was to go never happend then wwhen i was 12 got my license and have been hunting just about everything since then lots of good memories will definatly pass it on to me kids when i have them boys or girls still remember dads look in his eyes when i got my first deer he was so proud

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal