Author Topic: Finding New Rifle Loads  (Read 23042 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Finding New Rifle Loads
« on: Jun 26, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
I know there's a couple guys with a lot of reloading experience. Does anyone have a notable preference for any specific brand/style of press. Even though I've been reloading for a long time I really only stop by my uncles and load a batch every few years. Now I'm ready to set up my own press from scratch. I'll be starting out with 30-06 and 223's but will probably end up doing some handgun and other rifle calibers eventually. I'd like to hear some input from anyone with a fair amount of experience before making the investment.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2014, 10:31:17 AM by stka »

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
Re: Shopping for a Reloading Press
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
I have a Dillon Square Deal 'B' for my .40 S&W, love it! Progressive reloader is the way to go with for handgun ammunition.

Rifle, I have had a RCBS Rock Chucker. I bought it used in the 80's, no problems.

Shotgun, Mec 600. I have had this loader since the 70's, no problems.

RCBS, Dillon, and Mec all are manufacturers of quality products IMHO.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »

I go with Monk on the RCBS Rock Cracker had mine for 30 + years now and still working fine and all the goodies
    did replace the scale about 5 years ago , Shot gun have an old Lyman still ticking bought the stuff right out of
    high school in 1980

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2014, 07:32:35 AM »
I like the rcbs press the best. The lee case trimmer is  the finest I've used. IDE geta tumbler used some where's, till then just clean with oooo steel lol. I really like the rcbs case prep center. This is a HUGE time saver. IDE grab a five dollar tricker and a rcbs or cabelas digital scale.  A decent digital caliper is handy but the cheaper dial style work okay. My rifle loads are to  the tenth of a grain. It's tough to get that accuracy with a triple beam scale. And it DOES  make a difference.

Bench set it is essential too! Have fun and be careful

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2014, 09:04:20 AM »
Are you talking about the RCBS Rock Chucker? I was also trying to figure out if it was worth getting a turret or just sicking with the single stage. The progressive presses don't look like they'd give the precision I want for rifle rounds. It's been a few years since I loaded any of my 30-06 rounds, but I was using a trickler and I think I was getting tenth grain accuracy. I will get a good digital scale though, and I have good digital calipers already. It was essentially within 1-2 granules of powder. If I go single stage it would make it a bit cheaper to get everything I need.

Have you used a manual tumbler, is it even worth considering one? Or am I better off just using steel wool for the effort.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
For rifle I like the single stage press and trickle powder loads for each round. It slow things down, more deliberate and more accurate.

With handgun ammunition, things are more forgiving. But I like the Dillon Square Deal 'B', it slows things down a little. It makes you pay attention and helps you not get sloppy. That's why I like the Mec 600 and 700 too.
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
For cleaning brass IDE either get a elec tumbler, turn it on and forget it or just clean with steel wool. I do both. I tumble to clean for reloading the polish each round by hand once I'm finished.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »
For cleaning brass IDE either get a elec tumbler, turn it on and forget it or just clean with steel wool. I do both. I tumble to clean for reloading the polish each round by hand once I'm finished.

X2

Electric tumbler is especially nice with handgun brass. ;)
Theodore Rooseve

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
Midway has a great sale going on now on reloading supplies.

Offline mauser98

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2014, 07:16:43 AM »
for my pistols i use a cheapie lee turret... they are clunky and will give ya some problems  but they do work  simple works best, adding on all the doo-dads just makes me growl......rcbs rock chucker for me too for my rifles....dillion rocks but not on my budget.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
So I finally got the majority of my supplies. Ended up with an RCBS rock chucker, RCBS charge master auto scale, Hornady case prep center, RCBS hand primer, Frankfort tumbler/seperator kit, also got a Lee quick lock set for the dies and split collar thread locks.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
I'll keep my eyes out for a quality triple beam, but for now the charge master will work for me with 0.1 grain accuracy.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »
Unless you are shooting bench rest at 1000 yes the scale you have is just fine.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »
You got a very nice set up Steve ....

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
Post some pics of your work space! Show off the new toys lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal