Author Topic: Winter Bow Practice  (Read 7215 times)

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
Re: Winter Bow Practice
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
Dennis is very helpful and i really think he gives great deals on Bows,8 bucks to shoot allday in any of the 4 rooms.

Offline Zorros Shack

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
Thats a REALLY cool archery range!!!!!! Love to take my bow there. Got a old Martin Warthog.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Here's my indoor range, about 8 yds:

First time doing this over the winter; while it's close, it's good for maintaining form . I am also working on aiming at a precise spot, aim small, miss small.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
That will work. Just have to maintain the muscle memory.  ;)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »
With my luck there would be a new place to hang the toilet paper in the bathroom. ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
Or a pretty bouquet of flowers... ;D You could be onto the next big decorating trend... :P

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
my winter range. 13yd max

couple of the better groups i shot last night. only 10yds but its alot better than what they looked like 2 months ago.  ::)

my new/old stick. damon howatt bandito.  prob going to end up being my crutch but its alot of fun to shoot. and hope to get good enough at 20yds to hunt w it by next fall.

iv been shooting every single day for over 2 months now. its frustrating but im learning that fine tuning of the bow and a clear mind are the main ingredients for succesful instinct shooting.
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
Nice bow Ramrod !!!! I tried a recurve once.... I might as well throw the bow at the target, at least I might hit it then.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
lol. thats how i felt when i first started shooting it. but i tell ya the internet is a wonderful thing. iv learned alot from just surfing around forums.
its helped me w things i knew nothing about, form, bow tuning, techniques, and all sorts of tips and tricks etc... that have helped out tremendously.
it took a good 3 weeks to find my form. stance, anchor point, finger placement, and such, b4 i found what was comfortable and worked for me. id surf and read all day then run home n try it.
cant wait to get the target out to 15+20 n c how bad my groups fall apart.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
Nice rr. Good luck with the recurve that is something I want to get into on down the road.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
I started with  recurve, then went to compound. Biggest thing with a recurve is the release. Do a lot of close shooting, and sight, hold and close eyes and release. Will help you from steering the arrow. With a sight you have indicators for your sight picture. With out your mind sees more and tends to take over more.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
luckily all i can do is close shooting until spring. hoping to have any form issues ironed out by then.  ill have to try the closed eye thing. iv noticed that if your not mentally 100% intune your groups go to hell.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
Yup, your muscle motor has to almost start the process and then turn off to complete the shot.
Closing your eyes turns it off the aiming and lets you concentrate on the hold, and the release.

Offline ICE4ME

• Forked
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
buddy of mine owns a 3D virtual target system in Coxsackie NY we have been shooting a league in and it's really helped fine tune some mistakes i had been making. getting a new league started soon but for right now I've been shooting at least once a week to stay into it. great way to stay in form and it's also a blast. might have to take a ride up to Amsterdam and give that 3D a try. that looks fun.  ;D

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
i'm hoping it will help me for next fall--might only have 1 chance for the right shot-

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal