Author Topic: mountain lion & deer  (Read 7073 times)

Offline aj454

• Forked
mountain lion & deer
« on: Nov 05, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »
I have the coolest  photo copy of a trail cam picture which shows a mountain lion dragging a six point buck by the neck. This pic was taken in Saratoga county up by the Vermont border. About 3 years ago i saw one jump the road up in the Piseco Lake area. Talked to an encon officer who would'nt confirm or deney they were around.  My thoughts are that they planted them to keep the deer population down and they just don't want you to know.  Any one know how to get a photo copy of this pic onto the site i will post it.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: mountain lion & deer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:09:51 AM »
Thanks CP I was trying to post the page on here Big Cat with Buck...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
You Probably saw one by Piesco lake because Panther Mountain is right there.. ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::)
Welcome to the site....

Offline aj454

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
And do you know there is a written law in New York in the books that it is illegal to shoot a Big Foot if you see one... Just like if you see a Mountain Lion in New York it is illegal to shoot it... No lie...

Offline pyle

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2009, 10:03:37 AM »
YES thats the pic.  Can you shoot the cat if ya see one?????

That pic was takin in Texas ;)

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »
I have the coolest  photo copy of a trail cam picture which shows a mountain lion dragging a six point buck by the neck. This pic was taken in Saratoga county up by the Vermont border. About 3 years ago i saw one jump the road up in the Piseco Lake area. Talked to an encon officer who would'nt confirm or deney they were around.  My thoughts are that they planted them to keep the deer population down and they just don't want you to know.  Any one know how to get a photo copy of this pic onto the site i will post it.
nice 2 see you here AJ. i have seen that pic also. i have heard of sightings from all over the state by some reliable people. the state seems to deny that there is a sizable reproducing populaton but wont deny that dumbasses with exotic cats dont release them. you would think one would end up dead eventually. i would and will shoot one if its close to residences and will take the fine to get that thing out of there and dont you fanatics tell me i will end up in jail,blah blah blha. you get slapped on the wrist for violations in nys. i dont advocate poaching or anything like that but those things are nasty to the local deer heard domestic animals and out west to humans!

Offline aj454

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2009, 01:05:28 PM »
hey iceplank good to hear from ya. What a shame that the increse in our hunting and fishing trapping,ect. ect. is being used to let the cats loose to thin out the over population of deer out there. What a crock. It actualy makes ya wanna become an outlaw. They just dont get and never will. Encon liars

FrankM

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
Mountain lions don't belong here.  Our ancestors worked hard to eliminate those varmints.  I am the top of the food chain predator on my property and I refuse to compete with varmints. If I ever see a mountain lion when I'm hunting he's dead. I don't care who turned him loose.  I'm also hearing rumors about wolves being released in the southern tier.  As far as I'm concerned they are just big coyotes and are going down as well.

Offline aj454

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
Mountain lions don't belong here.  Our ancestors worked hard to eliminate those varmints.  I am the top of the food chain predator on my property and I refuse to compete with varmints. If I ever see a mountain lion when I'm hunting he's dead. I don't care who turned him loose.  I'm also hearing rumors about wolves being released in the southern tier.  As far as I'm concerned they are just big coyotes and are going down as well.
Yes Sir hope more people feel the same way. I know i do.

Offline timk

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
That picture is from Texas, not NY

Saratoga County does not have a VT border

How can you say that mountain lions don't belong here?  If our "ancestors" eliminated them , that implies that they naturally occurred at one time, and a non native population took it upon themselves to wipe them out for whatever reason they felt as justified.  your logic is flawed.

As for the mountain lions in NY, it would not surprise me if there is a small population in the ADKs, catskills, taconic or green mountains, but I think saying DEC planted them or any other conspiracy theory is probably a bit far fetched. 

FrankM

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
How can you say that mountain lions don't belong here?  If our "ancestors" eliminated them , that implies that they naturally occurred at one time, and a non native population took it upon themselves to wipe them out for whatever reason they felt as justified.  your logic is flawed.
My logic is not flawed.  Since we are at the top of the food chain and God gave man dominion over all the earth we have the obligation to be stewards over our environment.  Since most of New York is inhabited by humans our ancestors took it upon themselves to eliminate dangerous predators from our immediate environment for our own safety and the safety of our livestock. That is why mountain lions do not belong here.  I do not believe animals have equal rghts to humans.  I am not a tree hugging preservationinst, I am a conservationist which means it is OK to take an active role in manging my environment. Mountain lions are fine in remote wilderness areas where there is lees of a likelihood of their interacting with hikers, joggers, pets etc.  Just look at the problems they are having out in California with these cats attacking hikers and joggers since those left coast liberals decided to outlaw hunting them.  Mountain lions are not an endangered species and they will continue to exist just fine in the wild areas out west.

Offline northwoodsaddict

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »
Those cats were here long before you're oldest ancestors first set foot on this continent and in my mind represent all that is wild and beautiful about the country we live in. It's precisely your kind of attitude that almost led to the complete extinction of the buffalo and many other unfortunate species. If you want to shoot the woodchucks eating your lawn or the fox eating your chickens...go right ahead, but shooting a mountain lion?!?!?! Perhaps someday mountain lions and wolves will establish a toehold in the northeast and make a comeback, I hope I'm around to see that day, because thats where they rightfully belong. This land may be where you live, but that gives you no right to play God with the creatures that live here also.
IceShanty=brookiebomber477

Offline timk

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
You lost me at "god", "tree hugging preservationists" and "left coast liberals".

Animals do not have the same rights as humans, and we are the masters of our domain, although it has nothing to do with god and everything to do with evolution, but that is besides the point.  The point is, Mountain Lions, wherever they exist, are an important part of whatever ecosystem they exist in.  As a conservationist you should know that the key to wildlife management is to control populations through select harvesting, not an all out assault or elimination. 

Farmers consider deer pests and would like them eradicated, does that make it right? 

The reality of the situation is that as with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  PETA wants to protect them at the expense of humans, you want them wiped out.  Correct answer = managed harvest.  If a small kid gets eaten by a rouge Mt Lion now and then, that is life.. as GOD wants it (or whatever..)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal