Author Topic: S. Zone Bow  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
Re: S. Zone Bow
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »
What a great cold morning it was.

28 degree's when I left the city this morning with heavy frost on the truck and the ground.

Got in the stand at 6:40 am and didn't have any action till around 8:30am. I heard a few grunts so I grunted back and had 6 deer heading my way. 2 big does, 2 fawns which one was a button buck and 2 bucks, a spike and what I thought was a 4 pointer.

The doe's headed into the swamp as the spike was bird dogging one of the fawns. He was chasing her every where she went but she wanted noting to do with him.

Both bucks hung around and fed for a few minutes. The spike started to leave and with the bigger buck behind him. I grunted softly and that was all he needed. He came my way looking and stopping to feed here and there.

He came into my shooting lane at 18 and a half yards and I sent an arrow his way. I saw my lighted nock disappear into him. He ran 45 yards and stopped looking back. He stood there for about 2-3 minutes then wobbled and fell over.

I was soo excited that I couldn't stop shaking. I went up to him and he was still alive but couldn't get up so I quickly finished him off. He turned out to be a basket rack 6 pointer.

My dad helped me hang this stand last week and my grandfather didn't think it would produce much especially with a bow. Glad I could prove him wrong.

While waiting for help with the ATV I saw another deer moving quickly toward my stand. Now I have to fill one of my doe tags since both bow/muzzle tags have been used.

Just checked my log and In saw this deer on Sept 19th while squirrel hunting with my fiance. He was with a doe and a fawn. Watched them feed and he rubbed some trees then locked horns with another buck. Leaves were still heavy and green so I never saw how big the other deer was but it made this 6 pointer turn tail and run.

Nov 15th maybe I'll find out. ;D

I thought my hunting season was going bad with starting a new job on Monday. 2 deer down so its going great.

halfrack33

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
Awsome Awsome Awsome! Congrats, great to see some action. Nice work!

Offline UPSTATE

• Nubbie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »
WTG MAN .... NICE LITTLE SCRUB BUCK ... NOW ITS TIME FOR PAPA

Offline griff

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
CONGRATULATION Spikehorn !!! I guess you need to change your name now, great story and what a great way to start the year. Wish you more success the rest of the year.

Offline webs820

• Spiked
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
Great job. Good story.  Congrats on  a successful hunt

Offline Shed94

• 6 Pointer
  • 24/7 Antlerman
    • Shed Antler Nation
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »
Way to go congrats!!!
Antlers ~ N ~ Artifacts

Offline walleyeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2008, 08:07:39 PM »
nice job matt where you hunting? i live up in oriskany falls maybe we can get together sometime

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2008, 08:39:49 PM »
Nice Man!  Gettin em' with the Bow makes even more of an accomplishment. Good Luck W/ THE Big Boy

Offline wile.e.1

• Forked
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »
Great to hear / see of your success. What a nice mornin...frost on everything (including my metal ladder stand) :o . Love those cold quiet mornings....Now i just need to see more than birds and squirrels...Congrats Spikehorn
remember those who served..ALL gave some, some gave ALL

upstatehunter

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2008, 04:46:34 AM »
Way to go!!! Great to get one out of a stand you hung knowing you would see deer. Allot of hunters that don't bow hunt aren't used to where we want to put stands. Seems you were in the right place. Great Job.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:24:58 AM »
Well my opening day was quite productive.....i went out in the morning and saw only one doe and she bedded down in front of me for 2 hours. on my way walking out i saw two more does in the field. i put on a small stalk and only got to about 40 yards away from them before i got busted. went back out last night and didnt see anything..........til about 5 40 when 4 does come walking right down the trail in front of me i picked out the biggest one and let the arrow fly... the lumenok disappeared and she ran into the thicket within a minute i heard her crash.......blood everywhere i give the Rage 2 blade an A+ i will be using them from now on what a hole they cut  :o.........no pics yet because i was in a rush last night but will have pics later on.....Seasons off to a GREAT start!!!!

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
Good job!

I also use the 2 blade Rage and will be for a long time. Hard to think there will be a head that will beat them.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2008, 10:36:53 AM »
Congrats! On the nice buck! That was quick! Hope to get out there myself soon...
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #28 on: Oct 19, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
I'm glad to hear some of you guys are having a better weekend than I did. I only saw one deer, this morning none yesterday morning or afternoon. The only thing I wasn't going to shoot, of course walked right to my stand and waited. I'm calling him Lucky, lucky he wasn't just a little bigger or doeier. Here's a pic of the shot you want to see.

Notice the big apple tree over his head?

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
Well my opening day was quite productive.....i went out in the morning and saw only one doe and she bedded down in front of me for 2 hours. on my way walking out i saw two more does in the field. i put on a small stalk and only got to about 40 yards away from them before i got busted. went back out last night and didnt see anything..........til about 5 40 when 4 does come walking right down the trail in front of me i picked out the biggest one and let the arrow fly... the lumenok disappeared and she ran into the thicket within a minute i heard her crash.......blood everywhere i give the Rage 2 blade an A+ i will be using them from now on what a hole they cut  :o.........no pics yet because i was in a rush last night but will have pics later on.....Seasons off to a GREAT start!!!!
pic is posted in the bowhunting category

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal