Author Topic: Anyone?  (Read 9808 times)

Offline AD

• Forked
Anyone?
« on: Oct 12, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
    Are there any VA hunters on here?     
....  You can't eat the antlers ....

Offline treed942000

• Forked
  • We're In Training, May We Hunt Well
Re: Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »
Hey AD,

I be here.  Only been dove hunting this year.  How 'bout you?  What area you in?  I'm in NVA.

Best of Luck,
Troy
May the Bird Fly Right,
TReed

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »
Hey AD,

I be here.  Only been dove hunting this year.  How 'bout you?  What area you in?  I'm in NVA.

Best of Luck,
Troy

I'm down in the SW portion.   I live in Marion.     
    Hunting has been a bit of a bust this year, had a few does in range for bow season but nothing ever worked out.      Havnt seen anything yet during muzlle loader, but have only been out once last saturday.   

Offline treed942000

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »
AD

Hopefully your luck has changed.  Went home to Iowa for 2 weeks.  It was very slow there also, only 2 pheasants which is unusual.  To many crops still in the field.

On a good note, I got my first Gobbler.  We'll be eating good this Thanksgiving.
May the Bird Fly Right,
TReed

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2008, 07:50:43 AM »
AD

Hopefully your luck has changed.  Went home to Iowa for 2 weeks.  It was very slow there also, only 2 pheasants which is unusual.  To many crops still in the field.

On a good note, I got my first Gobbler.  We'll be eating good this Thanksgiving.

Congrats on the first gobbler.   
     Well, I got lucky, and I mean it.     
       Last Monday was a doe day in Whyth County, so I headed up to Crawfish national forrest, I hunt there a fair amount.      Hiked in a ways and then headed of fto the side up the mountain, stopped to take a breather in an okay looking spot and a doe came out the trail following me and the buddy I was hunting with.      She came out the trail about 30 seconds after we had.    She spotted us but just kept on walking towards us, she ended up turning broadside at 29 yards and I put her down with my muzzleloader.      Shot her at 7:25 AM, and me adn my buddy (I had rode with him) never saw another deer all day.    And Tuesday we hunted all day in a different national forrest and never saw a thing.      All in all we covered over 10 miles on foot and never once jumped a single deer.     Its been slow this year.     
     Also ended up getting a road kill doe that was hit right in front of wher eI work and was nicely tagged and put down by a trooper.     

Offline treed942000

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »
Nice job AD.  Sounds like you can't be picky this year if you want to fill the freezer.  Great job.
May the Bird Fly Right,
TReed

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
Nice job AD.  Sounds like you can't be picky this year if you want to fill the freezer.  Great job.

Nah I'm not too picky, not really into the big rack hunting, i'm more for enjoying the hunt and maybe packing the freezer full, that way I have some venison for myself adn plenty to share.   
      Havnt been out much latly, was sick last weekend.     I've found a couple decent places that seem to have some sign, more then I've been seeing.    So I'm saving them for the for the week after christmas (which in that county are doe days every day).     

Offline treed942000

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm waiting for dove season to open back up.  The dogs and I are getting antsy.
May the Bird Fly Right,
TReed

Offline shybeaver

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
AD, how is the hunting in the Saltville area?  I have been working in town and was just woundering.

Thanks Shybeaver

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:30:34 AM »
AD, how is the hunting in the Saltville area?  I have been working in town and was just woundering.

Thanks Shybeaver

If I was hunting around the Saltville area I'd be headed towards the Clinch Mtn Wildlife Management area, its 25000 acres all together.     Not an overcrowding of dear, but this yeah with the acorn crop being so Lousry a person could probably watch some of teh fields farther back in and tag a deer.   The Area also holds a bumper crop of bears, not this season but the last there were two bears harvested that were big.    One was over 500 pounds, and one was over 450.    This year the population is up even more.   I talked with some of the guys who run dogs for chasing the bears and they had a hard time keeping the dogs on one trail, that theyd pick up so many scent trails they'd split off after different bear.   
      In the main section of the area you have a lot of bedding feeding and travel plots along with some bigger managed fields.   

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2011, 08:20:39 AM »
Hope you all had a great Turkey Day.  I hunted the Chickahomony State Wildlife Management Area in Charles City on opening day of the general firearms season.  Never hunted this area before so it was a recon hunt.  Jumped one deer.  Lots of dog hunters out.  just about every access trail had at least 2 cars parked in it.  Going out this Saturday.  Anyone else having luck?
A. White

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal