Author Topic: moose calls  (Read 10730 times)

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
Re: moose calls
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2005, 11:12:56 PM »
She is a keeper ;)

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2005, 06:36:31 PM »
my buddies and i have had the best success calling by using our hands. you cup both hands over your nose and mouth slightly pinching your nose with your index fingers and the finger on each side of them then emit  the proper tone from your gut and throat. eerrrr uhh! eerr uhh! erhuhh! uhh! ;D hard to explain over the pc but we've shot alot of bulls with this technique  ;D

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »
But wouldn't a cow come to a calf call too.
Yes sorry it's probable I read the post wrong.

I think you're right on the rut part TGF but when you're not smack in the middle of the rut, you've got to lay off on the calls. We've scared a lot of bulls away by calling too agressively. If I can hear cows moaning like you know they do, every couple of minutes, then I call in the same way but if I can't hear anything and I don't think the rut's not quite on full throttle I make sure I lay off and let the bulls do the work. Man I can't wait!
KRIS
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline roonie

• Nubbie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2005, 09:51:43 AM »
the coffee can may be a little difficult to carry etc. but unless you have a voice like an opera singer,the coffee can will reach out further than any persons voice........in my humble opinion.been doin it for 30yrs.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2006, 11:10:22 AM »
If you use the coffee can....in my opinion you are spooking a few moose away. I have used it in my early days and they will come especially the young ones. I was watching this huge bull in a small clearing once. Didn't have a draw so nice to observe. After 10 mins of watching I see 2 guys walking up the road toward this area. They don't see me as I'm quite camo'ed up. They also don't see the bull from where they are from as brush in way. They get closer and stop at other edge of clearing and the quietness is broken by this moaning on a coffee can they have pulled out. That bull took off for heavier cover as fast as his legs could take him. It was funny because one guy said get ready he is coming when he heard the bull breaking branches. But I could plainly see him running high up into the hillside away from that noise. The coffee can does work sometimes but I think in areas of heavy pressure they get used to that noise and humans. Most humans will not sit for 5-6hrs after they have called with coffee can. They wait maybe 20 mins and if no response move onto next area. Moose wanders in an hour later and sniffs area that hunters were calling with coffee can. They smell that yucky human smell and associate that noise with humans. I also notice bulls getting used to my calling techniques in my area so I alter quite a bit. Coffee can is OK but if you want to see more moose practice. I talk thru out the year to native guides and they say the #1 mistake whiteman makes when calling moose is to "Call too loud". You really don't have to be an Opera singer. Also you don't ever want to go into an area and start calling loud. Always start soft and work up after a couple hours. You are right roonie when you say a coffee can will reach further than human voice. However if your in a good area with sign, you don't want to call loud. They have very keen hearing and big ears. Sorry bud, I think I'll take the advice of my native buddies ;D
Last year I called in 3 bulls that we were able to shoot. About a dozen that we had to pass up. I think the coffee can works better closer to rut time but you can get bulls coming over a longer period with voice.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2006, 11:17:53 AM by Terrygonefishing »

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2006, 03:31:45 PM »
I'm with you Terry, a moose could walk in just by you sneaking through the bush thinking you were a cow, soft calls progressively getting louder.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal